Parents switching gyms??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

dmytv

Coach
Ok, here's the skinny.My daughter belongs to a small gym in a small town that only opened 6 years ago. We love this gym and she has belonged to this gym since she was 7 years old. She is 11 years old and just finished her level 7 season. It was not stellar. She is one of only 3 optional gymnasts that go there. She goes the most of the 3, as the other 2 play other sports that interfere with gym time. She is often the only optional gymnast there and often works out with the level 3s and 4s.Should I take her to another gym where she will have more of a challenge? Should I let her visit other gyms to see what she would like? She has wonderful friends here but she does not spend alot of time doing optional stuff. Not that I really even know what that is(they were on beam for 30min doing handstands).Also my dh is friends with the owners and my other dd does dance here(that program has been going for 10 years and is awsome!).I am not sure how to handle this and would love opinions.

It sounds like your dd is at a very nice gym that sadly she has outgrown. What does your dd want from her gymnastics? Does she want to grow as a gymnast or is she o.k. with not learning much and training with lower level kids. I would see where she is coming from and take it from there. Also, how much money are you spending and do you feel you are getting your money's worth in training, etc.

We were at a gym that was very different from yours (mean people, mean) and we have found a new home gym for her and she is thriving. Found some new wonderful friends and still has a few friends (including her BFF) from her old gym. Good luck with whatever you decide and feel free to ask questions here. A lot of very knowledgeable parents and coaches here.

Take care,

Mmmm....friends...or your daughters gymnastics. if they're your friends, they'll understand when you look elsewhere.:)

It definitely sounds like she's outgrown the gym. If she loves gymnastics and wants to stay competitive in it, you need to look around at other gyms. I would think the coaches/owners would understand that--they have to know that having 3 Optional gymnasts doesn't really mean they have a team. I would even approach the coach/owner and ask them for advice--if you feel comfortable. I know our HC has suggested other gyms that might fit a gymnast's goals better than ours.

Even the owners must see that your DD is ready to move onto a gym where she can work with girls her own level. She is 11 and has the potential to get to level 10, but not at this lovely little gym.

Based on what you said I think the coaches and owners are probably already aware that she is outgrowing their program. Have a conversation with them. This is still a business and if they don't have what she needs then you owe it to your DD to find someplace that does!

I agree with everyone else. Your daughter has outgrown this program. If the owners are your friends, they will understand. Good luck finding a good fit for your daughter!

We were in the exact same situation you are in a couple years ago. My daughter was a 10 year old Level 7 and at the top of the program at her old gym. She was struggling learning new skills, because there was no one above her to emulate. We moved to a nice gym with a decent optional program with a whole team of girls she could learn from. It was a further drive and more money, but definitely worth it. You'd be amazed how much easier it is to learn a skill when you can see someone else do it! Her old coach was ok with our decision. He understood, but it was hard since she'd been with him since age 3, but ultimately he knew it was the best decision. Just talk to them...it will be hard, but I'm sure they'll agree with you. Good luck!

I agree with others here where she has outgrown what her current program offers at her level. I would take some time and at least take her to look at a few programs that offer more and can advance her in her gymnastics. I'm sure the owners/coaches at her current gym are aware of things and really wouldn't be surprised if you move to a gym that offers more in the optional program. We were forced to make that move a year ago and it ended up being the best thing we could have ever done. she has improved 100% in just this short time. She is still friends with some of her old teammates and talks to them and cheers for them at meets. So moving doesn't mean loosing friends if you make the effort to do playdates (for lack of a better word) with old friends. If i were to recommend I would say look for a gym that has more to offer but isn't so competitive that girls are crying when they work out on a regular basis.

It sounds like as nice as this gym is and as much as you like it, it may be time to look around. Talk with your dd and ask what she thinks. I'm sure she's seen girls from other gyms at meets probably a little bit more prepared for optionals than she is. I would also talk with the HC/owners. As others have said they probably realize she's outgrown the program. They may be able to suggest another gym they think would be a good fit.
Since her season is probably over(or close to it), now is a good time to check out other programs and see which one might be best for dd and your family.

Ok. we did move about 2 months ago and it has been great! She has learned so much! She does optional stuff every day and yeah me, I am starting to know what that is! Bit of a snag though, 3 of her friends at the other gym now have moved to the new gym. I had no intention of hurting our old gyms business but, why were they unhapy and why did they follow? Parents said that they wanted a more serious training program. Anyway, I just don't want it to be my fault. My other dd still does dance there. How do you not bring on hurt feelings? The owner seems fine, but the coach has a bit of a sore spot with us. Just venting abit. I don't like bad vibes. I like to get along with everyone!

Glad to hear your DD is thriving at her new gym! We just got started with gym but can imagine how difficult that decision was for you. As far as the others following, try not to let it bother you. My guess is that it was already in their head and when you actually made the move it gave them the motivation/courage to do it as well. If anything, the old gym probably is taking a look at their own program to figure out what needs to get changed. It might be great for kids who want to compete at a lower level but if they want to have kids at the higher levels they are probably figuring out they need to step up the training/bring in a higher level coach, etc.

I'm late with my response, have been away from CB for many months but glad to read you have found a nice program for your dd. We were in a similar situation, my younger dd a 10 year old level 7, the only one of 6 optionals that was really dedicated. The other girls were all age 14-17 with lots of drama. Thank goodness there was one coach who recognized her potential and really focused on pushing her to her abilities. My older dd was also there on a Stste team and we were fearless that moving her sister would get her thrown off her team (we were dealing with immature gym staff/owner). We waited till after both had States and immediately I switched my girls to a different gym. My little one wanted alot more out of gymnastics that the old gym could (or willing to) offer. She is now thriving at a new gym with not only several kids her age/level but also some very good role models in the older girls. There were several other girls that left old gym and my 10 year old was blamed (by owner) for "changing things" when she left. Unfortunately at our place they were not willing to see and deal with issues, much easier to blame someone. I hope since your dh is friend's with the owner they can get past tgat. Glad to gear your dd is happy at her new gym!

The biggest question is "What does your daughter want?" If she wants to compete, and do well, and make it to L10, then ask the coach if they can take you there, because that's her goal. Not yours, hers. If they say they can, and everyone wants to keep it where she is, she could be getting some nice solo coaching time in with the coach. If the coach can't do it, or is doubtful they can provide the level of training that's needed, then that frees you up to ask if they can recommend other places that would be good to check out. they know the good and bad of most of their competition, and if they're friendly with you, will make the best recommendations for your family. I mean, really, if they're any good at all, and want your respect and to have a great recommendation from you, then they're going to help you. Otherwise you'll just leave with bad feelings. Some people left our gym cuz they raised tuition costs, and they couldn't handle it the costs or the training time plus the sundays that are required. I know one left to go to another gym, and I think they quit altogether now. Their daughter just wasn't into it anymore, and getting less than 3rd place in her second year. It was an indication that although she enjoyed it, it wasn't worth the effort, or the money. Our gym owners understand that they're not for everyone, and while it hurts initially to lose those people, I dont' think there's hard feelings betw them, and the other parents are the first to recommend our gym to other parents who can handle the demands. Think about it - you get what you pay for.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back