Parents Thinking of switching gyms - advice please :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

It isn't. You're the one who just re-hijacked a thread that hasn't been active in weeks and just quoted a post from me from over a month ago.

Everything I posted here is strictly SUBJECTIVE AND A POSSIBILITY! I don't know why people don't get that. I said xyz COULD happen not that it WILL.

The perspective from which I posted is completely my opinion on one possible outcome of moving the child of the OP. It is by no means gospel. Any my assumption that gyms don't like to take back kids who quit on them has come from THIS FORUM! How many threads are there on here saying that gym is a small community and gym hopping is bad and by moving you're potentially burning a bridge? I've seen plenty.

I don't mind being challenged, but it's how I'm challenged. To say my scenarios or opinions have no merit is condescending and dismissive, and I have no time for that. What that person basically said to me is that my opinions were out of bounds and unfounded and I should never have posted them so yes I'm going to go on the attack. My opinions and scenarios about could be's are just as valid as her's. Just because mine aren't all sunshine and roses does not make them any less substantial, and perhaps the OP needs to hear the thorns and burned brush possibilities as well as the sunshine and lollipops ones. No one bothered to do that so I put it out there. And again I didn't say it would happen. I said it COULD. Big difference there.

You all talk about dealing in facts, but there's no way to go with facts here. Everything is situational and something that may or may not happen. She may be welcomed back to the big time gym later if she decides to or she may not. None of us know, and the OP may never even try. So what does it matter if we all tell her different things? One of us is going to be right, but there's no way of knowing who. However based upon intensive reading here my opinion that the coach could say "no way" is not beyond the realm of possibility.

As for opinions about Xcel, it very much depends on what region you're in as to how it's treated. Region 1 (California) is not very fond of it, and it's looked upon as a step sister to JO. However in Region 8 it's very competitive. The main thing is that Xcel in most places does not train as many hours and may not focus on technique as much as JO. And college coaches do not look at it as an equal to JO. Perhaps it's because it's still in its infancy or perhaps it's because
not every state treats it the same. We moved from an Xcel only gym that practiced 9 hours per week max (in Region 8 no less) to a gym where L3 practices that same 9 hours. So you tell me there's not a difference between the two. The Xcel gym is very competitive at state even at the Platinum level, but could those girls have the same success in JO? Not with 9 hours a week no!

Bottom line is everything is situational and everyone's situations are different. There is no way any of us can no what repricussions might come from moving a child. The OP asked for opinions about why it might be good or bad. She made her decision so why on God's earth is this still being discussed (i.e. argued about) months later?

Also, there's a big difference changing gyms at pre- team going into Level 3, vs. Level 7 or 8. Even at the most " you' re dead to me if you change gyms" I haven't heard of that attitude towards pre- team parents.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back