This week I accomplished...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Haha...they are quite fun I suppose once you get over the scary bit. :) What's the difference between a tap swing and a baby giant? Well, I'm taught by different coaches and my coach on Friday taught me a new method. He taught me to bring my legs to a tuck and then raise it over the bar and then bring the legs down...that kinda reduces the scary factor as my head goes upside down and up to front support. I still need my coach to spot me and help me cuz I'm pretty sure I can't do it by myself yet.

So I hurt myself last night. Rolled my ankle and we weren't doing anything at all, just lunges to warm up. One of the girls in my class,when I didn't get up and was icing it, was like, Youre really hurt, aren't you? I am the one who always gets back up, and I have always said, if I don't get back up, then I'm hurt. Well, I didn't get back up. But on the bright side of things, bars were AWESOME last night. I was able to do my routine three times in a row-usually only the first time I get it nice and smooth, and all three times was nice and smooth-YAY. Wonder if it will keep that way?

sorry about the ankle nicci!! but nice job on bars! at least you can usually do lots of bars with a hurt ankle :)

*blink*

I did a front tuck on floor.

I've not done one since June 1st 2007.

AndromedaAiken,
A baby Giant is a long hang tap swing to a pullover. It's good to hear you're learning them.
nicci,
Sorry about the ankle injury. I hope it heals fast. Good job on your bar routines.
CoachGoofy,
Congrats on your front tuck on floor!
aerialriver,
Aren't Baranis fun? Great job moving up to Level 6 on trampoline! :)
Sounds like everyone is making some progress. I'm happy for you all.
dannolynn, how's therapy going?

This week I worked out for the first time in months. I did bars for about 20 minutes, consisting of 3 "made" kips, 5 flyaways into the pit, some casts, and some back hip circles and clear hip attempts. From that alone, I was crazy sore.

Next week, I plan on doing bars once and beam once. Gotta slowly work my way back in to the gym.

Ok, here's the (most likely) final version of the routine I will be competing at national qualifiers; I did the entire thing on floor with no watered down passes and now passes done into a resi for the first time today:

Layout thomas
Front layout, front 3/2
Wide-arm press handstand
Back 3/2, front 1/2
Pike press
Tucked thomas
Double front

It's a bit more conservative than what I originally had in mind, but it's clean and consistant, so I'm happy with it. IF I qualify for visa cup, I'm hoping to switch the Layout thomas for a double double, the front 3/2 for a 2/1, and the back 3/2 with a back 5/2.

What is a barani?

This week, besides injuring myself, I upgraded to dowel grips, and what a difference it has made, I feel a lot more secure on the bars now. Haven't had a chance to try some tap swings with them yet, will do that maybe today. I unofficially have my pullover and BHC (I say unofficially because I did the pullover with a fat mat to start off on, but did it several times by myself. Well, my coach spotted me with two fingers-don't think that counts lol. and it still isn't consistent for me to do it, but I did it about 4 times in a row) Ankle injury aside, it was a good week. Oh, and I hit my verticle on the beam for my handstand!

Nicci, From the way my coach decribes a barani it is a front tuck that you kick out at 12 o' clock straight and then do a half twist. At least that is what it is for trampoline.

Nicole, to simplify the visual, a barani is a round off w/ no hands. Or, a front pike w/ a half twist, but the half twist comes early, so you can always see the ground during the skill. It is sometimes done as a beam dismount, and is done on trampoline usually. Not much use for it elsewhere.

This week I figured out my stoop circle on bars, got to the point where I can do as many in a row as I want. I have always wanted to learn that because if I ever miss my squat on in a routine I want a way to keep going.

Did some front walkovers on a high beam, they are not very consistent but I did make some of them.

Started working on blind change which I have not done since I was probably 18, and even then I didn't do it correct. Who knows if I will get that, but its fun to try.

cool gina, stoop circles look so fun! i hope to be able to do them someday

Congrats, Giki! How do you keep from throwing back your head when you do stoop circles?

I am not sure if I am calling it the right thing..what I am doing is a squat on, but my shoulders are behind the bar instead of in front, and I straighten my legs and rotate back ward around the bar, and then I can either jump to grab the high bar, or hold on and do more in a row. I never felt like throwing my head back would be helpful, but I would think if you just bury your chin to your chest and keep it there, that would fix that problem.

In the past I would not have enough momentum to get all the way back up on the bar again, but I figured out how to 'pump it' w/ my legs and that was what I was missing.

This week for power tumbling I got my RO then 4 back hand springs. I am psyched considering I could barely do 1 when I started a few weeks ago. And no I am not going to tell you that they are pretty yet :p

Aerialriver

This week for power tumbling I got my RO then 4 back hand springs. I am psyched considering I could barely do 1 when I started a few weeks ago. And no I am not going to tell you that they are pretty yet :p

Aerialriver

Nice! Do you get dizzy?

I used to be able to do stoop circles but haven't tried them in a long time now. I found what made a huge difference in whether I could get completely around or not was whether I started completely on top of the bar or was leaning back too much. As long as O started completely upright I seemed to be able to make all the way around because I had enough momentum. At least thats what I remember. Anyway glad to here things are going well for you Gina. Anyway I think I'm going to be able to start going back to gymnastics next week to do bars and hopefully handstands and stuff, that is as long as my doctor says my foot is good enough to put full weight on my right foot again when I see him tomorrow. I am so hoping he gives me the ok. I really want to get back in the gym. I'll let you guys know the verdict tomorrow. I don't think I've ever been so eager to see a doctor before :).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back