Anon Training Level 10 at age 7?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A

Anonymous (521d)

Hello everyone, I came across a page of a child gymnast, she’s been discussed here before for unsafe gymnastics practices. I’m not gonna post her name for obvious reasons, but her and her mother recently talked about how her plan is to train level 10 once she is 7. The true minimum for level 10 is 9 years old, so what’s the rush? I’ve been out of the sport for a while, but is this more normal these days? Am I behind the times or what could be the possible benefit to this?

Basically every level two, three, four five, six and optional gymnasts are also training for level 10... however most are not going to make it for a multitude of reasons. Everyone is working the building blocks of skills that will eventually lead to the kind of skills needed in level 10/elite.

Australia had hand picked 4/5 year olds training in high performances centers and the parents who were partially sold a dream also said their kids were elite gymnasts in training.... now most never made it beyond age 10 - but they were 'training' to be elite gymnasts at four years old - which was just the same basic gymnastics done for more hours than most their age.

That is absolutely not normal!

I'm surprised any coach would be on board with this idea. There is a minimum age requirement for Level 10 for a reason. Injury and burnout are the obvious reasons, but also the fact that proper technique and safe progressions take time. In my opinion, the absolute earliest a kid should be competing Level 10 is at ten years old.

I know of a girl who got to Level 9 by age 8. She was obviously extremely talented, but her gym pushed her too far in terms of difficulty. Her back handsprings on beam were terrifying. She switched gyms about a year later, and the new gym took the time to correct her technique. She reached Level 10 by 11, and is currently competing HOPES. Had she not switched gyms, she would have most likely retired due to the constant injuries she had there.

Another example is a gymnast who reached Level 9 at 9 years old. She was probably the most talented kid I've ever seen, and would have definitely made elite. However, she only did gymnastics because of how much her parents wanted her to be an Olympian. She eventually left the sport when she was 12. She returned to public school and started exploring her own interests.

The reason I'm telling these two stories is because they show that getting to a high level super early is most likely not the best idea in the long run. Most elite gymnasts get to Level 10 at 11-13, so there is no rush.

Good luck and god speed! Definitely an outlier, but it would seem like mom doesnt know what she was talking about, because if one was hitting 10 at that age, I would just be saying she is going to be elite or national team member or olympian at age X whatever that works out to be versus just level 10.

I haven’t see this girl’s mom posting info on her plans for her daughter. I’m curious about her perspective. Watching this girl is like watching news footage about an approaching hurricane; you know it’s going to turn out very badly but it’s still kinda cool to watch.

There's this weird thing on Insta that really bugs me whereby parents can't just post a video of their kid doing some skill they have to include "JUST FIVE YEARS OLD" or whatever too... Like they're trying to say "my kid is more special and gifted than your kid". Anyway, the mom here sounds delightful, I'm sure she'll have a long and happy relationship with the sport and her daughter.

There's this weird thing on Insta that really bugs me whereby parents can't just post a video of their kid doing some skill they have to include "JUST FIVE YEARS OLD" or whatever too... Like they're trying to say "my kid is more special and gifted than your kid". Anyway, the mom here sounds delightful, I'm sure she'll have a long and happy relationship with the sport and her daughter.
Unfortunately, that's how the become so popular. If they didn't put their age, there would be a lot less traffic and the only reason they are posting is to build followers and turn it into a money making venture - both real and through product placement/reviews

I have seen her training at multiple gyms as well
In her local area or when she's travelling in pursuit of her mom's other activities? This makes a lot of sense actually because her form is not that good. I can't figure out how she progresses at her gym as an upcoming L10/potential elite with that form. Say what you will about the HC, (long timers in the sport know what I'm talking about), he knows what he's doing. Training elsewhere makes a whole lotta sense (not to mention the hours of training at home).

Well, those parents definitely don’t do things by halves. Acting! Modeling! Pagents! Outrageously fast tracked gymnastics! If they are going to mess up a kid they are going to do a thorough job of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is data on who is actually following those accounts and it is not predominantly young females. It's going to be an interesting can of worms for these kids as they enter adulthood and start to realize who has been looking at them all this time. I hope the parents set aside money for counselling.

In her local area or when she's travelling in pursuit of her mom's other activities? This makes a lot of sense actually because her form is not that good. I can't figure out how she progresses at her gym as an upcoming L10/potential elite with that form. Say what you will about the HC, (long timers in the sport know what I'm talking about), he knows what he's doing. Training elsewhere makes a whole lotta sense (not to mention the hours of training at home).
Yes, when she is flying around for pageants and acting jobs, she goes in and trains with different coaches and different gyms. I think I remember seeing a post of her training somewhere else locally as well. Inconsistent coaching definitely explains why her form is not the best

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News