Anon Training Level 10 at age 7?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Crazy how I know exactly who you’re talking about. There’s another girl that comes to mind when I think of these types of posts, not sure if she’s been mentioned on here but she’s named after a flower (ifkyk)

As for the girl mentioned in this post, her mom has her in acting, modeling, and even pageants. (and that’s a whole different topic for another day) Poor kid doesn’t seem to have a life outside of the camera. Reminds me of those “family bloggers” on YouTube exploiting their kids on the internet for money. It’s sick honestly. And don’t get me started on the instagram comments she gets from creepy old men. The mom chooses to ignore those and instead focuses on the “hater” comments pointing out how so much training at a young age can burn her child out. Because obviously those “accusations” are far more important than the sexual comments being made about your 6 year old. I could seriously go on and on about this because I used to look up to these types of kids when I did gymnastics because they were doing double backs and standing fulls at 7 while training 20 hours a week. Now I see why they ended up burnt out with injuries at 9.

There's another insta-gymmie account that comes to mind too whose mom's job is with a MLM company, she brags about how her daughters Instagram account and followers helps make her money. It's so gross. I'm sure if she reads this she would just argue that the money she makes allows her daughter to have the lifestyle she wants for her, and pays for her gymnastics and blah blah a million other excuses how its ok to exploit her kid for likes, money and free leotards. Not to mention all the people she's scamming with the MLM side of things. I can't stop following all these accounts, its like watching a car-wreck, you can't help yourself.

Basically every level two, three, four five, six and optional gymnasts are also training for level 10... however most are not going to make it for a multitude of reasons. Everyone is working the building blocks of skills that will eventually lead to the kind of skills needed in level 10/elite.

Australia had hand picked 4/5 year olds training in high performances centers and the parents who were partially sold a dream also said their kids were elite gymnasts in training.... now most never made it beyond age 10 - but they were 'training' to be elite gymnasts at four years old - which was just the same basic gymnastics done for more hours than most their age.
Yes, when I was a child, I worked out with a college team with 4 other girls. (there were no clubs in the area back then) And everyone said we were "training for the Olympics."

So you know I just went down the rabbit hole and looked at this kid's instagram. Yiiiiiikes. Poor kid.

I'm assuming that is who they are talking about. But I've never seen them say anything about expecting to compete level 10 when she turns 7? The one I've seen has nothing approaching level 10 skills so it seems doubtful that they would believe that anyway and there is no way a coach is telling them they can test out of every level and compete 10 next year. But I do agree with others that it is definitely not the norm and that this mom is doing a huge disservice to her daughter and I feel bad for the girl. And while it is impressive to have some of the skills she does at 6 (like bhs blo on beam and giants), her form is kind of scary and she should not be doing them without a coach right there, or really at all at her age, honestly.
Level 10 can't be competed at the age of 7 no matter what.
At 7, the maximum age-eligible level is Level 7.

At the age of 8, gymnasts are also age-eligible to compete Levels 8 & 9 (scoring out of Level 8 with at least a 34.00 AA or 8.5 per event IES).

Gymnasts have to be at least 9 years old to compete Level 10 (scoring out of L4 @ ≥34.0, L5 @ ≥32.0, L7@ ≥32.0, L8 @ ≥34.0, and L9 @ ≥34.0 OR L4 x2 @ ≥36.0, L6 @ ≥32.0, L7, L8, and L9 in 2 years or less since they can't even compete L4 until they are 7 years old).

I was reading an entirely unrelated article about a long-distance swimmer who may or may not have been lying about their achievements since the 1970s. There's a quote from about 1978 in which someone describes her as "A very mediocre swimmer with a very good publicist" and for some reason that immediately made me think of this thread and the Insta-gymmies in general...

I was reading an entirely unrelated article about a long-distance swimmer who may or may not have been lying about their achievements since the 1970s. There's a quote from about 1978 in which someone describes her as "A very mediocre swimmer with a very good publicist" and for some reason that immediately made me think of this thread and the Insta-gymmies in general...

Definitely recommend googling Diana Nyad if you want an interesting sports rabbithole that doesn’t involve someone who is currently a minor. It’s an insane story and relevant to this thread.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News