Coaches training the single leg basket swing

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

dmytv

Coach
ok I am not a fan of the mill circle/stride circle, so I thought I wanted to try training the single leg basket swing. Does anyone have any good videos or drills?

dunno, do you prefer the mill circle or do you think that is pointless as well. I am trying to decide what is best for our kids in that routine but I hate both skills. I am thinking it is much better to focus on the other skills and not worry to much about great form on either of these skills as I do not see the point of either. Thoughts?

waste of time. no offense meant. :)
==

I second that motion, This is what we do, Spend your time working strength, drop kips, casting, kip casting, squat on to jump on floor bar and do two sets of front hips a day. Set up ONE side station for single leg shoot and cut back. Teach the front mill in July using minimal time for both you and the gymnast. Mill circle, single leg basket swings are all worthless, so focus on the skills that matter. Also, when they work the skills and strength that matter teaching these worthless skills will be much easier...

No offense taken. I would to have personally loved to have seen the mill cirle just go. I mean, I spend all day telling these kids "legs together" and then the routines (2and3(so yes, for 2 years for some kids)) they have to split them apart and fling around the bar like a dutch pinwheel! After all,I thought those skills were supposed to help teach the kip, and that is why I was told they kept them in there. But, now in level 3 they can kip but it still has the mill circle.
Ok, I digress. Going for my coffee now.

dunno, do you prefer the mill circle or do you think that is pointless as well. I am trying to decide what is best for our kids in that routine but I hate both skills. I am thinking it is much better to focus on the other skills and not worry to much about great form on either of these skills as I do not see the point of either. Thoughts?

i think that the mill circle is pointless also. and i agree with the rest of what you said. also, in all the years i have been doing this we have never taught a mill circle. and all the kids that were meant to be gymnasts learned their kips. :)

Not to go off track...but this is what the JO girls compulsory program is...non-progressive.

Leg cuts are for pommel horse...mill circles are for the playground.

There are concepts that these skills fit into (leg cuts = weight shifting)...but there are better ways to teach those concepts IMO.

For a gymnast that may have a long road to a kip...a single leg basket swing to support can be a good progression...we don't do them though. We do teach basket swings and stalder swings.

EDIT:

[video=youtube;pfZYAkcv7Q0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfZYAkcv7Q0[/video]

Great video...see 3 minutes 26 seconds (do not do legs between arms in straps unless you know what you are doing...they could rip their shoulders apart)
[video=youtube;x1nYjtZ35EE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1nYjtZ35EE[/video]

Last edited:
I see it and have seen it as, you can't kip, and do much else and have to compete something. Competing kids in watered down levels ends up being about $$ for meets and USAG.

Which is why many gyms just wait till L5 and consider L4 and below in house or rec. Unfortunately, if the gym 10 miles away is competing L2 and you aren't...you end up having to compete it.

==

I second that motion, This is what we do, Spend your time working strength, drop kips, casting, kip casting, squat on to jump on floor bar and do two sets of front hips a day. Set up ONE side station for single leg shoot and cut back. Teach the front mill in July using minimal time for both you and the gymnast. Mill circle, single leg basket swings are all worthless, so focus on the skills that matter. Also, when they work the skills and strength that matter teaching these worthless skills will be much easier...

Would it be fair to frame this as eating your meat and potatoes, and then "belching out" mill circles, single leg cuts, and stride baskets? I say this because once a kid learns a kip, a cast 45, and a clear hip horizontal, all the crazy "why the heck are we doing this" stuff seems to just fall into their laps. There's a lot be said for building valued core skills and skipping the compulsory skills until it's almost too late for the kids to get them, polish them, and compete them.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back