Parents Trust in the process?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

There is no process. Your kid can either do what's required or they can't.

You won't catch me agreeing to the notion that kids either can, or can't. Unless you also stipulate that coaches aren't allowed to care, and haven't a clue about what their young athletes' needs are.

Really, our trade requires we take in multitudes of "cans" and "nots" to turn them into gymnasts. Sometimes their physical gifts are lacking, so we coach that. Just as often, if not more, kids will come in with out the mental and emotional skill set we need and they wish they had..... so we counsel, coach, and nurture "that."

This made me think about a very interesting program on Fresh Air that talks about the cultural differences in parenting today vs one or two generations ago. It was really fascinating. http://www.npr.org/2014/02/04/27141...et-new-book-explores-the-paradox-of-parenting

Just an example of the discussion: Did your mom stay home? What was she? If so, she was a "housewife." Was the house clean? I know mine was. And dinner was on the table by 5:30 every night. The emphasis was on the home. Did you stay home? If so, you were a "stay at home mom." The emphasis has changed. Is your house clean? I know mine isn't. Nice to know I'm part of a trend and not just a slob!

I haven't read the book, but I would like to.

What a fascinating point. Had never thought of it.

I mentioned something I read recently in a thread but the gist was mental health professionals are seeing young adults come in with depression and stress related mental illness problems. When asked about their life they say their parents are wonderful and did everything for them, etc. they think that compared to other generations where children were more likely to experience hard times in early life, younger adults are unable to cope with rejection, disappointment as well. Definitely rings true to me.

I'm not saying that some things aren't for the best now, like the culture of secrecy that Dunno described allowed people to go terrible things with no repercussions. That was wrong. But it's also important for us to understand that not giving kids enough independence and experiences with disappointment, rejection, and hard work isn't nevessarily creating a more well adjusted kid. Sometimes overprotecting them is doing the opposite. So for those who have posted "my daughter lives for gymnastics, but she never wins, always works harder but gets 34, is it worth it?" - maybe it will be way more worth it in the end than you know.

I mentioned something I read recently in a thread but the gist was mental health professionals are seeing young adults come in with depression and stress related mental illness problems. When asked about their life they say their parents are wonderful and did everything for them, etc. they think that compared to other generations where children were more likely to experience hard times in early life, younger adults are unable to cope with rejection, disappointment as well. Definitely rings true to me.

I'm not saying that some things aren't for the best now, like the culture of secrecy that Dunno described allowed people to go terrible things with no repercussions. That was wrong. But it's also important for us to understand that not giving kids enough independence and experiences with disappointment, rejection, and hard work isn't nevessarily creating a more well adjusted kid. Sometimes overprotecting them is doing the opposite. So for those who have posted "my daughter lives for gymnastics, but she never wins, always works harder but gets 34, is it worth it?" - maybe it will be way more worth it in the end than you know.
Point well made and taken. Thank you

But it's also important for us to understand that not giving kids enough independence and experiences with disappointment, rejection, and hard work isn't nevessarily creating a more well adjusted kid. Sometimes overprotecting them is doing the opposite. So for those who have posted "my daughter lives for gymnastics, but she never wins, always works harder but gets 34, is it worth it?" - maybe it will be way more worth it in the end than you know.

I love this.

If they haven't made it to level 10mby the age of 9, they will not be an Olympian... Good GOD! Have some common sense.

that is not accurate. most if not all were not level 10's by age 9. not even Mustafina. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back