Parents Vent: when the gym atmosphere is toxic

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We chose not to move and wait for a new coach, because finding a solid optional program for a non-homeschooled kid around here is tough. And keeping dd in school is a priority for us.

The culture of "homeschool" as the only way just makes me sad. At our gym I see too many kids pulled out of school to chase a dream in which so very few succeed. Yes for that small group of biologically gifted kids that seems to be the only path. Unfortunately many parents see/want things that perhaps need to be looked at more objectively. Bottom line gyms run a business I often wonder how many kids are chosen to fulfill that part.

A lot of parents are misguided about the idea that their children may make the national team or get a college scholarship if they take them out of school to focus on gymnastics.

But even if a child never makes it to these goals there is still great value in taking their gymnastics to this level. This type of serious training will teach them dedication, Committment, goal setting, focus, determination, courage, persistence, excellence and passion. And it will usually teach those lessons far more effectively than a school will because the lessons are taught doing something they love and are truly passionate about.

What they do in the gym may not lead to the national team but it will lead to them being highly employable and successful in the areas they choose to pursue in adulthood.

Many kids do better in home schooling than they do in traditional schooling too. Especially if they are visual learners (which 75% of kids are) and if they are self motivated (which the vast majority of gymnasts who reach this level are). They can often get their school work done in a fraction of the time when they are dealing with the day to day drama of disrupted classes, fire drills, assemblies, roll marking and so on. And there isn't the need for hours and hours of homework, which is often just busywork, or expected as a form of teaching discipline (gymnasts get that discipline in the gym).

I would feel that while some parents would be misguided and think their child can go all the way in gymnastics, most would have multiple reasons for choosing this life style.

The culture of "homeschool" as the only way just makes me sad. At our gym I see too many kids pulled out of school to chase a dream in which so very few succeed. Yes for that small group of biologically gifted kids that seems to be the only path. Unfortunately many parents see/want things that perhaps need to be looked at more objectively. Bottom line gyms run a business I often wonder how many kids are chosen to fulfill that part.

I agree that the business aspect of gyms is something that parents with stars in their eyes can forget. But to a large extent, I think that is on the parents, not the gyms. Or rather, this is not a gymnastics issue - this is a 'parents with stars in their eyes' issue, as I have seen plenty of 'parenting fail' decision making in many activities where dreams of olympics (or the equivalent) are just as unlikely as they are in gymnastics.

Pulling your child out of school and homeschooling for gymnastics (or any other activity) is the same as buying a lottery ticket as a retirement plan. It could all work out, but the odds are against you. Really, really against you. That's not on the coach or gym. That's on not understanding the odds.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back