Coaches Waiting It Out

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gralch1

Coach
Gymnast suddenly stopped going backwards.
No bhs, back tuck or lay on floor.
No bwo, bhs on beam.
Please grant me patience......(I know "vestibular")
I have backed way way off, no pressure, gone back to the very basics, lots of drills, lots of praise for little things.
However, 2 meets in January. How do I keep her from getting frustrated? She truly wants to do it but just can't make herself. I do not want to scratch her since she has really worked hard and improved in every way.

Scratch her for the first meet, wait a bit for the second one. And explain her this way she'll have more time to prepare herself for the other meets of the season. If she's normally doing a bhs on beam, I suppose she's an optional gymnast. Can she replace her backward tumblings by forward ones? If she absolutely wants to do the meet, you can always have her compete only on bars and vault.

Thank-you for your input. I am absolutely not going to let her compete floor and beam this weekend. Even if she suddenly worked through it I would not feel comfortable putting her out there.
I am going to ask her and her mom if she wants to just compete 2 events or scratch the meet completely.
As for the front tumbling as an option on beam.....she can do a round off 50% of the time for her flight. But again, I don't want to destroy her by putting pressure on for that skill in a short period of time.
Coaching is HARD.

Thank-you for your input. I am absolutely not going to let her compete floor and beam this weekend. Even if she suddenly worked through it I would not feel comfortable putting her out there.
I am going to ask her and her mom if she wants to just compete 2 events or scratch the meet completely.
As for the front tumbling as an option on beam.....she can do a round off 50% of the time for her flight. But again, I don't want to destroy her by putting pressure on for that skill in a short period of time.
Coaching is HARD.
But what wise choices you are making.

Update,
Went to meet this weekend. No beam or floor.......but she got personal best on vault and beat her arch nemesis who always out scores her.
I have referred the family to Dr Ali for help and we are working together to get her through this little bump in the road.

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back