Parents Warm Up Capri Pants

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

notthatmom

Proud Parent
So, at our L3 parents meeting while they were going over expendes (everyone's favorite part) they got to the topic of the team uniform (warm ups, and jersey) they said that they might be changing the warm up pants this year to the Capri type pants because those are becoming a trend. Which I have a problem with for a few reasons...
1. Trends change, which leads me to believe that once that "fad" dies out, they'll want to change it again.
2. Right now, the warm up pants are the regular full length pants, and for the little girls, they have the parents order them like 3 sizes too big so they can grow into them and hopefully not buy another pair again until they reach high school, which I'm a fan of (the less I have to keep purchasing pants she'll wear 5 times a year, the better) the kids just roll the pants up at the waist, and it honestly looks fine. Not sure that's going to be doable with the Capri style.
3. I actually really like the current warm ups, they are so different from other gyms' warm ups, they have sort of an Asian themed look to them with a cool dragon on it, while still using our gym colors (gym owners are from China, and I think it's a cool way to represent where they came from...without our gym looking like the Chinese Olympic team)

My DD said they had her try on these Capri pants the other day which makes me think they will in fact change to these pants, meaning the style of the warm up jacket will probably change too.

Anyway, does anyone's gym have this type? What do you think of them? I honestly don't think they look as sharp and professional as the "regular" pants do, but maybe y'all can help calm my fears as perhaps I'm over thinking it.

How much is the new look going to $et you back? The idea of changing warmups for no other reason than in the name of "style" and having it come out of my pocket would annoy me and presumably many other parents.

Old gym had them and so does new gym we switched to. They look great! Generally, the girls wear them on the podium and to be honest, capris are all I've seen anyone at any of our meets wear, so I don't have anything to compare too. Both gyms would only have the warm up 2 years, so I order a size bigger and she grows into it or we trade with someone the following year. Capris are better for huge growth spurts too, just saying my dd grew several inches and all her pants are way too short now but in the capris, it's not been noticeable at all. They went from mid-to below mid-calf and by end of season were below knee but still looked cute. I think you'll like them but that's my 2 cents!

I am surprised they let you order then that big right now. Our coaches would never allow that. But we do pass things down the line, so the older gymnasts sell theirs to younger gymnasts.

The change happens a lot. We have had new warm ups about every 2 years and new competition apparel every 2 years on the alternate years. So every year we are buying something new. This year is warm ups, but I am sure D's singlet will need to be replaced. Thank goodness for booster club.

Reactions: sce
How much is the new look going to $et you back? The idea of changing warmups for no other reason than in the name of "style" and having it come out of my pocket would annoy me and presumably many other parents.
That's the other thing, we don't know the cost yet. All the other fees for the entire year are spelled out from the beginning but since the warm ups and leo prices are based on quantity, they have no way of knowing what the price will be until they are ready to place the order. I have a general idea so I've set that $ aside, but it's still frustrating that the amount isn't set in stone.
My DD is new to team this year so I'm going to have to buy the whole new uniform anyway, but I know for other parents who have already purchased the current warm ups, they're not going to be thrilled with a new expense they weren't planning on making yet.

Old gym had them and so does new gym we switched to. They look great! Generally, the girls wear them on the podium and to be honest, capris are all I've seen anyone at any of our meets wear, so I don't have anything to compare too. Both gyms would only have the warm up 2 years, so I order a size bigger and she grows into it or we trade with someone the following year. Capris are better for huge growth spurts too, just saying my dd grew several inches and all her pants are way too short now but in the capris, it's not been noticeable at all. They went from mid-to below mid-calf and by end of season were below knee but still looked cute. I think you'll like them but that's my 2 cents!
That's a good point that they are better for growth spurts, I totally agree. My DD though is very short for her age, she's the shortest on the team and she's definitely not the youngest, she's 7 so I'm sure a growth spurt isn't in her very near future, but there are some girls who are at that growth spurt age where I can see capris being beneficial.
I'll have to google some images of what they look like because for the life of me I can't picture it.
I live in the Midwest, and meet season goes smack dab right through our coldest time of year, I'd be down with a snow suit as warm ups if I had a say in it

Uggs and capris are the look at most of our Northeast meets! It's a rare gym that actually wears pants around here, and they do look dated since most of the pants tend to be baggy, athletic styled warm-up pants-which aren't modern like yoga pants or leggings.

That's the other thing, we don't know the cost yet. All the other fees for the entire year are spelled out from the beginning but since the warm ups and leo prices are based on quantity, they have no way of knowing what the price will be until they are ready to place the order. I have a general idea so I've set that $ aside, but it's still frustrating that the amount isn't set in stone.
My DD is new to team this year so I'm going to have to buy the whole new uniform anyway, but I know for other parents who have already purchased the current warm ups, they're not going to be thrilled with a new expense they weren't planning on making yet.
If the plan is to move to a new warm up and there is a known quantity of girls that will need to also purchase leos, the gym should have a pretty good idea of how much it will all cost, no?

To help defray costs on the leo, perhaps you might want to check if your gym works with other families to see if kids moving out of compulsories or have grown out of them would sell their "used" leos at a discount to a new one. Our gym does that and that is how we purchased our daughter's leo last year. Saved probably $150.

We love the capris!! Slim, comfortable, modern, easy on/off, no awkward drawstring, and inexpensive. Baggy warm up pants aren't so flattering, imo.

And thank goodness our gym has capris, or my skinny long-legged girl would have been swimming in the standard warm ups in order to get the length right. Ours are just plain black, so will pair with any warm up jacket the gym decides to switch to.

Bonus for the plain black capris - my DD actually lost (later found) them at a meet, and we went to GAP and got nearly identical ones for about $9. No one knew. She continued to wear both pairs throughout season :D

DD's gym has leggings for the warm-ups. They are definitely not baggy. They usually change every other year alternating with the leotards. But they have decided to replace the leotard again this year, despite having changed it last year, because the gym wasn't happy with how they were holding up (seams coming out, dye bleeding, etc). So this will be the 3rd year with these warm-ups. I thought for sure we'd have to replace them for my dd, but surprisingly the leggings still fit because they are quite stretchy. They might be capris by the end of the season though, lol.

Anyway, I remember a mix of leggings and capris at the meets we went to and I think they both look fine. I've never seen baggy, sweat pants looking warm-ups though.

We changed to them this year and we love them. The look less sloppy and they can actually warm up in them. We have basic black and they were under $20.

ETA- we are in New England and also have pretty clod winters.

We changed to them this year and we love them. The look less sloppy and they can actually warm up in them. We have basic black and they were under $20.
I didn't even think about how much cheaper they'd be. Now the idea doesn't bug me as much :)

The bigger pants do look a tad baggy, but I think the jersey is what they wear over their Leos when they're actually warming up, not entirely sure though since I'm a newbie

If the plan is to move to a new warm up and there is a known quantity of girls that will need to also purchase leos, the gym should have a pretty good idea of how much it will all cost, no?

To help defray costs on the leo, perhaps you might want to check if your gym works with other families to see if kids moving out of compulsories or have grown out of them would sell their "used" leos at a discount to a new one. Our gym does that and that is how we purchased our daughter's leo last year. Saved probably $150.
At the initial meeting they didn't know yet what vendor they would be using, so that's the main part of the unknown price, the gym told me today though that they would have pricing information soon.
We can also buy used Leos and you better bet your behind in going to try that first, the Leo isn't changing this year so hopefully I'll get lucky

We switched from the old style warmup pants to capris a year ago and all of the girls love them.

My dd wore her other pants for 3 years because she was one who could roll down the waist a few times that first year because they were so big on her.

Ours are basic black UA capris and they look sharp.

We still see some gyms in the other style but most have capris.

Our gym switched to capris pants. They are way more practical for warming up in and look great with a leotard. If your gym is buying plain black they may not cost very much at all. Now if you live in a cold place then they would be far less practical.

My ODD has had one gym that didn't require warm ups at all (girls wore their leos for march in and podium) and YDDs gym let's girls wear whatever they want on the bottom as long as it's plain black (YDD wears yoga pants). The other two gyms my ODD had standard pants with her warm ups and we always hated them because she needed a women's size for length but then they were huge on her. She hated looking like "a soccer player" and they always looked ill fitting. I'm really hoping for either capris or yoga styled pants this year- something stretchy.

Reactions: sce
My DD wore pants one year, then capris for the past three. Pants were a PITA in comparison - DD tripped on them all the time.

Athletic capris can generally be worn a long time - my DD (12) can still slip into a CM... they stretch so much. Her current pair is fleece lined. Plus even the GK brand is pretty affordable.

The downside is cold winters -my DD has paired them with UGG boots or leg warmers to keep warm, but sometimes she'd get a bit chilly on convention floors. For this reason, she prefers the fleece lined ones.

DD had athletic style warm up pants and then capris. The capris were much nicer, the girls took off their jacket and warmed up with the capris over their Leo's . The capris also looked nicer. Much better for gymmies than pants... No " flood waters" at the end of the season. We have cold weather for most of our season, the girls will layer flannel or fleece pj pants over their capris, or wear the pj pants and change at the venue. And they wear Uggs. Always Uggs.

GK capris are around $20. Pants are more expensive. I can't imagine buying pants as large as you describe! Our coaches would be a no go on that. But we also change warm ups every couple of years so there's that.

I like the jacket and Capri look for warm ups. It's very modern and looks super athletic. The old style warm up pants always looked so boxy and cumbersome.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back