Watching the seniors - P&G

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

If gabby was indeed sick w/ the flu or something, I'd think her camp would have let the media know.
Perhaps she was sick to her stomach because a new challenger has reared it's head and proving to be a viable threat. I do not say this manly at all, but Laurie is truly peaking at the right time, has the personality and spark to ignite an audience, and the skills to go with it...it honestly might be making her a bit concerned in terms of being on the team for the AA shot.

In no way am I only looking at her faces during floor exercise. I am also looking at her face when interacting with her coaches. When she came off the podium after beam Kittia was talking to her and she literally turned and walked away. Kittia gave most of her corrections or comments to the back of Gabby's head. This is disrespectful and it's not the first time she done this on camera. She sure as heck wouldn't do it to Martha, I think her own coach should garner equal respect.
Yes, I just don't get this...I am sorry. One can say what they like about pressure etc, but that is just plain rude.

[QUOTE="suebee, post: 462924, member:
They're also really cheap. And nothing special. I can't imagine that any 15 year old, no matter how immature, would be motivated by them. I was really embarrassed for her by this commentary about the beads, particularly the part about she gets them taken away if she pouts or cries or is a bad teammate. Honestly, it sounds like something you might say about 6 year old.

[/QUOTE]
Ugh!

Perhaps...but it's not as if Aly's gymnastics has never been tested internationally. Her stuff held up just fine in 2012. Martha's love doesn't get you on an Olympic team...the ability to win medals on beam and floor(which she has proven internationally she can do) does.

Last year there was a big difference between the scores she got in th US at at Secret Classic/USA champs (around 15s apart when she fell) and then at Worlds her "hit" routines got 14.066 and 14.266 when all the deductions were taken for bent knees, lack of splits and slow connections.

I thought as well that Gabby's night one performance seemed a bit flat and lacked polish and performance and was surprised that she tied with Laurie in FX. Hopefully Gabby will be back on form tonight.

Pretty sure the shift in scoring at 2015 World's impacted everyone, not just Aly. Like her or not -- she's been one of the most successful gymnasts competing internationally for about the past 6 years and I don't really expect that to change. She isn't everyone's cup of tea because she struggles with the 'artistic' bit, but she's done extremely well for the U.S.

This is honest pondering, not trying to create a rumor or anything. But with all the talk about the beads, and her not really fitting in, etc., is is possible that Ragan perhaps has some minor developmental issues? I don't know enough about most of these women, so I don't know if there are other things that would make me wonder or not. But just thinking about my DD, who does have some minor, vague developmental issues - she is the kind who would still find something like stickers or beads motivating, probably even at that age. She is still completely capable of functioning in life, but you see it in a few quirky things like this. Again, not trying to stir a pot, just wondering if this might ring true to any of you who know more about Ragan.

Not loving her leo tonight. The back is cute, though. I love Maggie's leo!

On another note...Simone's 1st vault, amazing! But why on the live scoring does her vault total not add up...and I thought they kept the first score, soon shouldn't it be higher anyway? Or am I missing something?

Not loving her leo tonight. The back is cute, though. I love Maggie's leo!

On another note...Simone's 1st vault, amazing! But why on the live scoring does her vault total not add up...and I thought they kept the first score, soon shouldn't it be higher anyway? Or am I missing something?
The vault score listed is her average of the two that counts for vault title, but if you look at her all around score it is using her first vault score, as it should. A little confusing, I agree.

I thought about the averaging, but still that would be a 16.1, right... didn't she score a 16.2 and then a 16? Yes the AA total is correct, just thought it was odd and I could be missing something.

Seriously ... Simone could fall 4 times at this point and still be in first place. She's unreal. Just curious -- how much of a difference should we expect with these routines from international judges? I don't think there's much they more they could have found on Simone's first vault.

Just curious - who would win if you compare Simone's vault today to the Maroney vault at the last Olympics?

Seriously ... Simone could fall 4 times at this point and still be in first place. She's unreal. Just curious -- how much of a difference should we expect with these routines from international judges? I don't think there's much they more they could have found on Simone's first vault.

Just curious - who would win if you compare Simone's vault today to the Maroney vault at the last Olympics?
I have no 'flipping' idea.....:D

Curious... on Floor, Simone seems to consistently take a hop back on landings (sometimes a hop forward). Not a lot of actual sticks on passes. The way she does it almost looks planned - not like she was trying to stick and ended up hopping, but as if a small rebound was part of the routine. Anyone else notice this? Is that a strategy?

RE the Simone hop, I think it was a planned thing. But I'm not good with this stuff, so take my input with a big chunk of salt!

Re the hop...I think it's planned seeing as she can stick those vaults many a time....but of course wth do I know anyway....

re: the Simone hop, I'm wondering if she is saving her ankles for Rio and so just plans a little rebound and taking the 10ths instead of fighting for sticks (since she can afford it!).

Curious... on Floor, Simone seems to consistently take a hop back on landings (sometimes a hop forward). Not a lot of actual sticks on passes. The way she does it almost looks planned - not like she was trying to stick and ended up hopping, but as if a small rebound was part of the routine. Anyone else notice this? Is that a strategy?
It could be the type of thing where it's "safer" and looks better to add a small hop, which is a minimal deduction, rather than try to stick, possibly risking additional trunk movements (upper body wobbles), in addition to possible steps beyond that. I also think the deductions she doesn't get in amplitude and artistry more than make up for the small deduction incurred by the small hop. It's simply not that important. I'm sure that with Simone's attitude and outlook on training, she's actively working to get ride of those hops, too.

As for best leotard award, hands down it goes to Ragan Smith on competition day 1. That stained glass look was breathtaking.

PS - I can't believe Simone was only a tenth away from a perfect score on her vault. Let me say that again… A nearly perfect score with the open ended scoring system: INSANE.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back