WAG What ARE the differences?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think your assessment is accurate. However, I will add that Kipper's gym (and many others) uses the flexibility of L6 to "better" prepare gymnasts for L7+ (as an alternative to L5). Every gymnast trains for L6 after L4, and simply tests out of L5. Everyone trains and competes casts to handstand and BHS on beam, which gives them a tremendous advantage when moving to L7. This level is flexible enough to allow faster progressing kids to compete some new skills as they are ready (Front pike/layouts on floor, series on beam, giants on bars, etc.) while at the same time, providing a great landing place for a gymnast who is struggling on an event, or struggling with fears. Truly, bars is the only event which is "harder", but most kids will score higher AA in L6 than they would in L5.

This is what Short Stack's gym does as well. I guess I was just confused as to why the two levels are so similar--why they BOTH exist. They seemed redundant. So realizing what they were intended for clarified quite a bit for me.

Reactions: sce
This was the missing piece for me. Now I "get" why 6 exists, and why it's not required.
Exactly, we use level 6 for kids who have mastered compulsories, but some of the skills our coaches require for 7 are not there yet. Upgrade where you can. At our gym, yes it is bars or beam that lag, as level 6s complete the same skills as our levels 7s on floor, with exception of an occasional and rare full. :)

Both. HC always says it all hinges on bars and beam. Floor and vault are "easy" in comparison but girls get stuck on bars because of strength or beam because of fears.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back