What's your opinion on this?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ari97

Gymnast
So Right now I'm doing rec gymnastics and I started 2 months ago and I really want to compete!!! But i'll be 16 in september. I asked my dad if maybe I could do xcel but he says i'm to old. :( I told him if I get a job then I could help pay for it. Ugh. So I started to think maybe I should just wait until college and do NAIGC which is a gymnastics program that they have at alot of colleges where you can compete and stuff at any level. So what would you do? Would you wait 2 years untill you graduate and do NAIGC in college? Or would you keep asking your dad if you can compete now and help him pay for it...?

I would try to compete now. You don't know if the college you will go to will have this and I wouldn't choose your college based on competing gymnastics at your level. Also, you have more time now than you do in college.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using ChalkBucket mobile app

You aren't too old for xcel! I don't think anyone really is. I'm 15 (turning 16 in march) and I started xcel a little over a year ago. It's really fun and it's a good program for older girls who just started gymnastics and want to compete. Good luck! Let me know how things work out!

I don't have the option of Xcel. I started a 9 months ago. And I'm 14 as of less than 3 weeks ago. I got invited to Pre-Team after the first session. I should be on team in 3 weeks after the session ends of Pre-Team. So I would totally start competing now if I were you. I don't know if there's a possibility of me doing it in college unless I'm a high level by the time I graduate.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using ChalkBucket mobile app

Amblan, pretty much anybody can do NAIGC if your college has it though of course it will depend on your school, time obligations, etc.

In NAIGC it doesn't really matter as much since while competition at Nationals can be steep it's all for fun anyways. There is some competition at local meets but it's nothing like a JO meet. It's a "club" activiity.

If it's too much of a pain to deal with dad on this, train skills, get strong and prepare yourself to compete in NAIGC in a few years.

Thanks for your guys input, anyone else want to add on to this?

Sent from my GT-P3113 using ChalkBucket mobile app

Your never to old for gymnastics! As long as your hearts still in the game, and your willing to work hard, it's never too late to enjoy the sport!
There are even adult classes and meets, so if your interested, if the college you go to has a gym nearby, stop by and ask if they have any adult classes you could do.

Bummer. In that case, think about doing it once you're on your own. It'll be some time but if you're still interested focus on your training now in what you can do during rec and work on your physical strength and flexibility on your own time.

I have competed as a college gymnast in NAIGC for the past two years and I absolutely love it. Not only does it give me a good outlet to exercise, but it has also given me a group of student athletes who are just as passionate about the sport as I am. Whether or not you are starting late, NAIGC will accept you regardless of if you have zero skill or are amazing! I highly recommend it. Even if you do not compete now, getting into the gym and building your gymnastics skill set will only help you be more successful while you are in college!

I don't have the option of Xcel. I started a 9 months ago. And I'm 14 as of less than 3 weeks ago. I got invited to Pre-Team after the first session. I should be on team in 3 weeks after the session ends of Pre-Team. So I would totally start competing now if I were you. I don't know if there's a possibility of me doing it in college unless I'm a high level by the time I graduate.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using ChalkBucket mobile app

The beauty of NAIGC is that you do not have to be a high level gymnast to compete in college. Even girls with NO experience can do this. It is not COLLEGE Varsity Gymnastics, but club style gymnastics. Even if your college does not have an NAIGC club, you can still participate - you just need to find a place to train and register as "NAIGC Alumni."

I have competed as a college gymnast in NAIGC for the past two years and I absolutely love it. Not only does it give me a good outlet to exercise, but it has also given me a group of student athletes who are just as passionate about the sport as I am. Whether or not you are starting late, NAIGC will accept you regardless of if you have zero skill or are amazing! I highly recommend it. Even if you do not compete now, getting into the gym and building your gymnastics skill set will only help you be more successful while you are in college!

I'm afraid I might not have enough time to do it though. Because i'll have a job too so I can pay for it, is it expensive? How much do you practice?

I'm afraid I might not have enough time to do it though. Because i'll have a job too so I can pay for it, is it expensive? How much do you practice?

It depends on your school, but usually much of the cost is covered by student activity fees. At my current institution, for example, it cost $40 a quarter (so $120 a year) and practices are three times a week for three hours.

At my last school, it was $50 a semester, and we practiced twice a week for two hours.

Teams do fundraising to help keep meet and uniform costs low.

Okay I could afford that! But is it hard when you're in college and you have studying and homework to worry about too?

Sent from my GT-P3113 using ChalkBucket mobile app

In college especially your first year you have a lot of open blocks (periods). Some days you may just have 2 classes at an hour each with the rest of the day doing whatever you want.

What are the levels like? Do they follow the usag levels when competeting? Or do you just make up your own routines?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back