Parents When do they usually start learning their routines?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Take a deep breath and try to relax. When is her 1st meet? I wouldn't worry or get private lessons until it was close to "go" time. If she is not ready and has to compete level 2 it's not the end of the world. If she is progressing and having fun just let her enjoy the sport.

Thanks! I know I'm being silly. I have a tendency of worrying too much about these things. Just needed to talk this out. Feeling better now. Lol

Oh goodness, don't worry. There's no right way to do it anyway. I mean heck it's level 3. Many girls will not even compete it but just do preteam for those skills. Some gyms will go out weak in the beginning of the season with the goal of having everyone clean by the end of the season when it's time to move up. Other gyms have a more competitive-between-gyms approach.

DD does not know her routines or all her skills. They are going to do one meet in October ... probably to scare them ... and then compete mostly in the spring season.

My daughter just moved up to level 3. The coaches have our girls working on individual elements. They did put some of the beam routine together on Tuesday, but for the most part we haven't started learning the actual routines. Also, it is surprising what can happen in just a few short weeks. My daughter went from having no level 3 skills to having all but 2 in a very short time. She still has a bit of time to pick up the level 3 stuff so don't fret :) Also, since the levels have all changed, moving from old level 2 to new level 3 is basically like skipping a level so if she doesn't do it, she still will be learning new skills for the new level 2 as disappointing as it might be not to get to move up with her friends.

The little girls on my team started working them a while ago I think when my coaches first learned them... They seem really difficult but they aren't the floor routine is fast but that's it they don't compete til November

Thanks everyone for your responses. DD's group actually started working on their beam routine this week. This was one of the reasons I was panicking. :) On Monday they separated them into L2 and L3 groups and started working on the beam routines, DD was put into L2 group, and was very upset about that. After my talk with the owner on Tuesday, they moved her to L3 group. I talked to the coach after the practice, and she said she was going to try to "push" her to level 3. Surprisingly, she wasn't worried about the skills that much, mostly talking about the form - straight knees, pointy toes, etc.

We switched gyms mid-July. Old gym was just teaching elements of floor & bars...nothing on beam. Since switching not only has my DD almost gotten all the hard skills on bars, but she knows how the routine connects, just started on beam routine this week, but have been working on floor for two weeks. I dont think they have put a lot of focus on the music. Coach told me today she is working on cleaning up their lines in the specific skills. Personally I think the girls need to see the order at minimum if they are not wokring on routines so they know how to connect the elements.

My DD had intenstive camp the last 2 week of June, then first week of July off... when they came back after the 4th they started working on the new routines.

She is L4

My DD had intenstive camp the last 2 week of June, then first week of July off... when they came back after the 4th they started working on the new routines.

She is L4

Did the routine camp cost money? Was it taught by your gym's coaches? We had a routine clinic at our gym that was 4 hours and cost $25 per gymnast. Curious if that is the norm.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using ChalkBucket mobile app

most of the gyms I have experienced for the compulsory levels do the elements of the routines over the summer to make sure they are doing them correctly. Usually by august they are doing elements connected to each other. When Sept starts (after school starts) that seems to be when the routines are put together. Most don't have their first meet until Halloween or soon after so they have a good 2 months to put them together which once they know the skills is really easy to do. I'm always amazed how quickly they can pull them together once they know the skills well.

Dd has her first meet in Sept and finished learning the routines a little over a week ago. They will spend the next month going over them again and again to clean them up. Our season ends in December so there was not much time between coaches getting the routines and the start of the season.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back