WAG whipping and back tucks

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I can easily do Cartwheel- Back Handspring step out and Back Handspring step out Series.
And of course I have a Standing Back Handspring step out and a standing Back Tuck.

I wanted to add a Back Tuck after the Back Handspring step out or the Cartwheel and now I have a question.

I am having a very hard time adding a tuck after a back handspring step out or a cartwheel.
Even on tumble track, I find it really hard to get in my second leg in after the back handspring and jump straight up and get the height for a nice high tuck that doesn't travel too much back. I actually think that a back handspring step out layout step out is easier, because all you have to do is doing the same as you would in a second back handspring, just without hands. I think those "whipping back" skills are easier on the vestibular.

My standing back tucks are really good, I do not travel back at all when I do them on floor, only when I do them on beam I travel back a few inches, but I still have good height and tucking position. I just think that "whipping" back is easier.

For example, I once played around with standing pikes/layouts.

Mine looked like this:

not like that:

I don't know if it is a personal preference thing or if it is easier in general. I just feel a lot more comfortable with "whipping" back, although my tucks are great. Sometimes I even get dizzy in my head before I am doing a back tuck and I really need to concentrate on jumping straight up and looking at one point or otherwise I would whip my back tuck.

So long story short, what are your experiences with those skills and do you think a back handspring back tuck or back handspring layout step out is easier?

Freeze first video at 0.4 and second at 0.22. Look at the difference. The boy sets for his skill, the girl does not. Lack of height is the least of the issue with whipping a tuck or pike.

Why would you want to do an ugly BT?

Freeze first video at 0.4 and second at 0.22. Look at the difference. The boy sets for his skill, the girl does not. Lack of height is the least of the issue with whipping a tuck or pike.

Why would you want to do an ugly BT?

Thanks for your reply!
Yes, I know the difference! If I do just a single back tuck, it looks like the second one with good setting. But if I try it out of a Back Handspring stepout, I do not set! I find it soo hard to set high out of a back handspring stepout or cartwheel...

Do back handspring jump on to a panel mat or box to work the set. Once comfortable, with a spotter, add the tuck as you'll be forced to set.

You also say the you find LOSO easier as it is a "BHS without hands"- you still need to set HIGH in that skill. It is not BHS without hands, it is simply a LO with spilt.

Do back handspring jump on to a panel mat or box to work the set. Once comfortable, with a spotter, add the tuck as you'll be forced to set.

You also say the you find LOSO easier as it is a "BHS without hands"- you still need to set HIGH in that skill. It is not BHS without hands, it is simply a LO with spilt.

Thank you! Yes, I know I need to do that one higher, but it is kind of a "whip back" motion rather than a straight jumping up thing.

Do you also find LOSO easier after a back handspring step out or do you find tucks easier?

Thank you! Yes, I know I need to do that one higher, but it is kind of a "whip back" motion rather than a straight jumping up thing.

Do you also find LOSO easier after a back handspring step out or do you find tucks easier?

With stepout, I find that the connection to LOSO is more fluid than stepout to tuck. However BHS two foot to tuck or layout two feet is easier for me than doing BHS two foot to LOSO.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back