who are your TOP 3 favorite gymnasts and why?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

1 rebecca bross - her power and difficulty level, and her bars
2 nastia liukin - her grace and talent, and her bars
3 chellsie memmel - her talent, especially on beam

I like quite a few so it is hard to pin down but I'd say...

Shannon Miller
Kim Zmeskal
Missy Marlowe

The first 2 because they were just my idols growing up (I'm old) and the 3rd because she was also my idol and she went to the olympics and she was from my gym.

Interesting question. My daughter would say:

1. Nastia (love the lines and quiet strength)
2. Shawn (rock steady)
3. Chellsie (all around talent)

I would say (dating myself a little), but from when I was young girl:

1. Nadia C
2. Kurt Thomas/Bart Connor

I also like Nastia.

Raluca Haidu - young and upcoming Romanian gymnast, won 1st AA at Romanian Internationals this year. She has beautiful lines and is very elegant, she is beautiful on bars. There was a documentary on her from when she was younger its called 'secrets of deva' its a really sad but inspiring story especially as you can see how great she has become now http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDxmeQd5-9w
Catherine Lyons - 10 yr old British gymnast, very flexible but she also has great control over her flexibility, watch her on youtube too :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfpbbHZrCmo watch her range and conditioning!
Nadia Comaneci - because she's a legend :D graceful, and also performed skills which were advanced for her time.

Don't know if the links worked... :confused:

Last edited:
Svetlana Bogunskaiya- she teaches young gymnasts everywhere with her camps, she is so approachable, all the young gymnasts are on a first name casual basis with her, and she actually works with them and teaches them skills ( not just an autograph signer)

Shannon Miller- she too went out talking to and working with young gymnasts and she did a lot with her television shows and appearances to promote the sport

Courtney Kupets- NCAA after the Olympics- yay!

I like Raluca Haidu too! :)

1. Sandra Izbasa - because she is tall, like me, and she is absolutely AMAZING. Her tumbling and dance on floor are beautiful, her beam style is very unique, and she is just a beautiful person too :D

2. Raluca Haidu - because she is such a little cutie! Hehe. But seriously, she is amazing. I agree with that post above, if you haven't seen the documentary "Secret of Deva" I recommend it.

3. A tie between Gabriela Dragoi and Ana Tamirjan - I can't really even say why. I just really like their style and originality. Ana's beam mount is simply amazing.

aimee walker pond- not only is she Deaf, she's blind in one eye! she's overcome injuries and everything else and she went to JO national championships and competed for UCLA and BYU. i met her once and ohmygosh she is so inspirational!

alicia sacramone- i love her power. her floor and vault are amazing. and watching her at this year's cover girl classic was even more exciting! i also love her attitude. she's proof that older gymnasts can still be amazing and you can tell she loves the sport. she went to college and did her thing and still came back to gymnastics. and she's so sassy! i just think she's great for gymnastics.

diane dos santos- i love her gymnastics the same reason i love asac's. she has so much strength and power you can see it in her every move. she's such a great tumbler. i also respect she's coming from a country with a gymnastics program that's not as developed, but that never stopped her from competing at her best. she's just so much fun to watch.

Shannon Miller
Oana Ban
Shawn Johnson

I like many others ( I totally agree about Aimee Walker Pond bribri514!) but they are my top 3.

Growing up Shannon was my favorite (still is!). She had such determination and you could tell from her gymnastics.

I like Oana's style. You can tell she's having fun when she performs. Also, the first time I saw her perform was at the Olympics in 2004. She did her floor routine and she did a few whipbacks (my favorite tumbling move to watch). I guess it got my attention.

I love Shawn's personality. It comes out in her gymnastics.

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back