Coaches Would you hire someone who never did gymnastics but has ballet and gymnastics knowledge

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

IT would depend. Is she willing to take USAG classes / get membership for whatever level you are considering hiring her for? IS she willing to learn spotting techniques? How soon would she need to be able to take a group on her own?

One good thing about her would be her ballet training. She could help with the "prettiness" and might be able to help with choreography :)

It depends on what level and or apparatus you want this coach working with. Level 10... no way. Recreation or lower level would be okay so long as a very clear plan was in place for that coach to work in with other coaches to learn more of the coaching skills required. Other factors would be how desperate your program is for a coach and the willingness of the new coach to learn and adapt to the ideas of gymnastics training.

You'd have to start them right from the beginning just the same as you'd start anyone new to coaching in any sport. That's the way it should be done, and without regard to their experience as a gymnast.

I've taken a few under my wing who've had zero gymnastics experience, unless you count gymnastics in P.E. Each of them ended up making a difference in my program that went beyond the normal gymnast evolves to coach experience. I think to absence of experience made it possible to fill them with knowledge they received more readily because they had no bias toward how skills should be taught.

That's not to say that a gymnast can't become a great coach, because that's always possible, but not a certainty. What counts most is desire, intention, and a few (or ten) other things.

What do you mean by "studied gymnastics for 5 years"?

If she has a ballet background and has been involved in - I assume coaching if you say she's never done it herself- gymnastics for 5 years, that sounds great to me.

Are you worried that she's never actually done gymnastics? That doesn't stop people being great coaches.

'Would you hire someone who never did gymnastics but has ballet and gymnastics knowledge'
Can you say 'in a heartbeat?!' Don't make the mistake of thinking you need to have been a gymnast to be a coach. Ask Bela Karolyi about that some time. ;) You will just need to see where they fit into your program, but that is a solid base from which to build. I have to bring in a ballet instructor once a week cause mine does little more than make the girls laugh!

.....excellent responses. I am humbled to offer the below addition to the excellent replies.
Yes, but requires training, safety class, background check and ability to demonstrate learning of our gym's curriculum. The more knowledgeable, passionate employees the better!

It has been my desire to hire safe, strong integrity, respectful adult who like kids, are good teachers and know gymnastics. For the most part I look for the BFOQ's (bonafied occupational qualifications) in the order above. "Knowing about gymnastics" is last as I believe that if motivated kids can learn gymnastics, so can motivated adults. I teach/coach so I teach/coach how to teach rec. classes, and coach gymnastics.

An aside; I meet very good coaches who never competed the sport they coach frequently. One major advantages that is afforded the skilled athletes of their sport is the intimate knowledge to the extent of their participation. I believe that this is only a part of the package of a coach.

Best, SBG -

I got hired. ;)
Was not a dancer but multi sport athlete and polevaulter for 2 years and bad at it.

Its become a little more common to hire big young guys and train as spotters in WAG. HS or college aged.

I know coaches with gymnastics experience that can't coach. I feel passion and character is a plus ... parents always want to only focus on a background in gymnastics but that doesnt always do it.

Some of the best coaches have never done a day of gymnastics in their lives. When hiring I don't care if they have an extensive gymnastics background, if they have the right attitude and personality and are willing to learn then they usually end up better coaches than those with extensive gymnastics.

I got hired. ;)
Was not a dancer but multi sport athlete and polevaulter for 2 years and bad at it.

Its become a little more common to hire big young guys and train as spotters in WAG. HS or college aged.

"Spotting monkeys" wear out and can get injured without gymnastics knowledge and training. A smart spotter is a dynamite tool for a WAG program.

Best, SBG -

Well, you do train them to spot.

But I don't see them sticking around. They will either move on to better paying work or want to become legit coaches.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back