Parents Coaching PD and training?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Many US gyms put all employees through background check(and I think this is the most USAG would ever try to require of recreational employees). And some gyms have all employees go through cpr/first aid training. And most have an in house training program for recreational coaches, shadowing first, training days, etc. Some gyms will use all of these as selling points. Our national governing body just doesn't mandate this.

Don't get me wrong, all businesses in the US must follow a myriad of health/safety/employment regulations at the national/state/local level. But gymnastics facilities are for the most part private recreational facilities, not schools. So they are treated somewhat similarly to other recreational sports facilities - ice rinks, bowling alleys, indoor soccer fields, etc. You have to pass all the safety inspections, get insurance, follow all the laws, etc. But the national governing body for figure skating doesn't control the beginning ice skating lessons offered at the local ice rink, same for gymnastics.

Liability controls so much of what businesses do here. And if having an extensive certification process for recreational coaches made recreational gymnasts significantly safer, some gyms would do it because liability insurance would be cheaper(like auto insurance is cheaper if you take a formal driver training course, because it's been proven that those drivers get in fewer accidents). But insurance companies don't offer lower rates for that.

Sorry for rambling on, I do find it an interesting subject.

So you mean back ground checks are not even compulsory?

This is a another requirement here. We have something called a "blue card", which is a card sayingt he background check has been completed and it has to be renewed every few years. It is illegal to work with children either in a voluntary or a prof capacity without a blue card.

here to, if you work with children or vulnerable adults and enhanced background check is mandatory. Plus as everyone must be registered and insured through the governing body, any misconduct in job is logged with them.

I started as a rec/preschool coach and as my love and interest for the sport has progressed, so has my coaching skills and education. I have gone through several of USAGs online courses and I am now qualified to be at sanctioned meets etc.

Our gym does not require any special education beyond going through our staff training in order to coach rec gymnastics. However, the new coaches will be put on beginner classes (once they are fully trained). More advanced rec classes will only go to experienced coaches. It's not super difficult to teach forward rolls, cartwheels, pullovers and walking on a beam correctly... If we see rec coaches that have potential, and that have more longevity than the average high school student, we generally pluck them out and train them further. A lot of our coaches are alumni team gymnasts, some are now in their mid forties..! I truly see that as proof that our gym is a close knit, caring place where people return (or stay) because it still means that much to them. Right now, I'm pretty much the only one of the team coaches that is not "home grown" but every single one of our team coaches has gone through extensive training and qualifications. We also have several alumni who are coaching around the country. We keep current and educated every year, and keep training the rec staff to be up to par although as a general rule the rec staff is much more "revolving" than the team staff.

Background check is mandatory here, but only if you are paid so technically if you are a voluntary coach the club may not do the check. I wish it was mandatory for everyone. You can't be too careful with these things.

We don't have to be qualified to coach in here. Again I wish we should. The national gymnastics organization recommends that only coaches who have taken the three basic courses of coaching (rec) coach their own group but it's not mandatory. I have coached in four different clubs and they all kind of required those courses. Most of the clubs pay for the courses AND they raise your hourly wage significantly when you have completed the courses. But if you are already let's say a PE teacher and and have your masters degree there you are not required to participate those basic courses.

All our coaches regardless of how many hours they do a week are required to be accredited. In order for gymnasts in a Gymnastics Australia club to be covered by the JLT insurance the gymnasts need to be in a class taught by a registered and accredited coach who is up to date with their points and are only teaching skills that their qualification allows.

And a as a parent this means a lot [emoji2]

Please understand what being 'accredited' actually means

The person has attend a course and filled in the work book, anyone can do this, its not hard, you could go and do the course and compete the work and become accredited :). They also have to pay a hefty amount to achieve this ( so you are also paying for that somewhere). As a parent you would be far better off in a club that has strong internal coach development rather that one that simply tick the boxes with the GA/State accreditation courses.

Cost to become an accredited beginner coach
Online course $100
Face to face course $150 - approx, depends on state
Working with children check card $60-$90 ( I have no issues with requiring this one)
Technical membership $200 - approx, depends on state

The person has attend a course and filled in the work book, anyone can do this, its not hard, you could go and do the course and compete the work and become accredited :). They also have to pay a hefty amount to achieve this ( so you are also paying for that somewhere). As a parent you would be far better off in a club that has strong internal coach development rather that one that simply tick the boxes with the GA/State accreditation courses.

Online course $100
Working with children check card $60-$90 ( I have no issues with requiring this one)

As it is compulsory to have those requirements, we (the gym) pay for all of the above, as well as any updating, first aid courses etc.

Costs have to be passed on to someone somewhere. A background check is like $25-40, but I agree that rec classes do not need certification. Some jobs, including rec sports do just fine with on the job training.

I disagree that red coaches should be held to lower standards than competitive coaches. Red is where most competitive gymnasts start, if their initial training is poor, then there is a lot of bad habits to break when they move up to competitive classes. They don't need to be able to teach double backs and giants but what they do teach is a foundation to all higher level skills and there should be enough technical understanding to ensure they can lay solid foundations.

Red can also be more challenging than teaching teams, so coaches need coaching skills. Red kids are often younger and less self motivated, a rec coach needs to be able to keep them fully engaged.

Oh, I absolutely agree that rec coaches should be teaching CORRECT gymnastics!! It's one of my biggest pet peeves. If something, anything, is worth doing it's worth learning correctly right from the start. We do train our rec coaches to teach correctly. I always let the rec director know if I see something that needs attention. We have a decent "crossover" with people coaching team AND higher level rec as well, both in order to facilitate an easier move to the competitive side later as well as to be active scouts for team prospects. :)

All our coaches regardless of how many hours they do a week are required to be accredited. In order for gymnasts in a Gymnastics Australia club to be covered by the JLT insurance the gymnasts need to be in a class taught by a registered and accredited coach who is up to date with their points and are only teaching skills that their qualification allows.

and same here.

You see I have a problem with 'coaches' teaching skills like round off BHS unqualified. I would want to know that the person teaching my kid had learned how to teach a skill like that which risks broken arms and repeatedly landing on their head at speed. In house training could be anything to nothing. I find it odd that parents in such a litigation heavy culture don't care. Would they also be so quick to leave their kids in a daycare with untrained , unqualified staff? Or maybe you don't qualify those either?

Online course $100

which is probably less than our level 1 costs.....

I am stunned that a back ground check is not legally required to work with children. Here one is required for any sort of paid or voluntary job/ role/ hobby involving work with children. So teachers, caretakers, students volunteering in school, guide and scout leaders, coaches in any sport, etc.

Very interesting to hear what's required, versus what gyms try to do or their policies. In figure skating, we're required to join various organizations, take annual training based on the levels of skating we're teaching, and whether we're doing competitions with our students. We also do a background check. The rinks do not pay for this and I estimate I pay about $600 a year for all of it. And 99% of coaches were former skaters. Thinking about what I go through begged the question in me whether gymnastics had a similar structure for coaching. And seeing posts about the varying coaching styles and experiences also made me wonder. Honestly, in my opinion, it sounds like gymnastics could catch up and implement some generalized coaching training based the level of gymnastics the person is coaching. Despite whether a young coach remains at a gym or not, these credentials would follow them to another gym.

and same here.

You see I have a problem with 'coaches' teaching skills like round off BHS unqualified. I would want to know that the person teaching my kid had learned how to teach a skill like that which risks broken arms and repeatedly landing on their head at speed. In house training could be anything to nothing. I find it odd that parents in such a litigation heavy culture don't care. Would they also be so quick to leave their kids in a daycare with untrained , unqualified staff? Or maybe you don't qualify those either?

If you're learning a BHS, you're either in tumbling specific class or on pre-team or other developmental class, which is above recreation classes for the most part. Now, I can tell you in dance kids are learning "tricks" as well. I'm not for more regulation by a governing board for recreational classes of any sort. Next painting classes will need to be taught by a pro, when really parents just want a quick camp over the summer so they can do grocery shopping with out the kids :)

In Canada you must have a background check for any interaction with children. Even to work in the school library for two hours a week at the school your children attend. Crazy that this is not required in the US.

In Canada you must have a background check for any interaction with children. Even to work in the school library for two hours a week at the school your children attend. Crazy that this is not required in the US.
Parent volunteers for the public schools are screened in our area.

and same here.

The issue isn't whether rec coaches should receive some training, it is whether the type of training they receive should be run by the state and legally mandated by the state. Rec coaches here receive their training in house, shadowing, training days, being monitored by more experienced coaches.

Yes, parents do care. But they have the freedom here(and the responsibility) to evaluate for themselves what program to choose and the risks they will take with their children. This is usually done by word of mouth(reputation) and watching the program.

I have to state again, the sheer volume of kids we have here doing gymnastics. 5 million plus, with only about 100,000(2 percent) of those doing team level gymnastics. The rec kids are there to have some fun, burn off some energy, learn how to do rolls and cartwheels. Finding a coach with the personality to engage these kids is most important. The more experienced coaches on staff can then teach them how to teach the skills.

The background check issue is something that varies on the state and local level.(don't know enough about all states laws to say). Background checks are required for many professions - teachers, health care workers, government employees. And many more businesses do them voluntarily on their own to protect themselves and their customers. All sports leagues in my area do them(even little league and pee wee soccer that is parent volunteer coached). they don't do it because the state mandates it, they do it because the parents want it. The consumer has decided it is important to them so it gets done(the state didn't have to decide for them it was important).

I know we aren't supposed to discuss politics here but I am not sure how to address this issue without it. You say "don't the parents care?!". Of course they care. There are just more issues here that are decided on the consumer demand level than the state mandate level. Just because we rely on a private business to do its own training program doesn't mean we don't care.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back