WAG Which way do we go?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think that there is value in it, but it's not 100% necessary and not doing it doesn't necessarily mean that you won't get far in this sport. One of my girls started at 3. She did a year of rec before going onto pre-team and went through each pre-team level. She went onto old 4 at 7 1/2. She is almost 10 and going into Level 6. Another one of my daughter's went onto pre-team from nothing at 5 1/2 for 6 months and then went onto Level 3. She is far beyond where my older daughter was at her age. There are girls on her team that did years of pre-team, girls who were pulled from rec, and girl's who did nothing. We also have a 3 year old who I think has more NATURAL talent than my other two combined and having learned what I have, I'm not in a rush to get her onto pre-team because I really don't think that she will have an issue walking onto team (which she can't do for 3 years anyway) and I don't think that her form/strength/flexibility/etc. will suffer from not doing pre-team because she just seems to have "it" and while my other two girls are beautiful gymnasts and work very hard and progress fairly quickly, neither one seems to have a future in elite. (Not to mention, we can't afford pre-team with two already on team, haha!)

I disagree with there being no value in starting a child so early.

Certainly there is a lot of benefit, physical fitness, the social aspect, improved coordination, etc.; but in terms of the child's success or a means to get farther and faster through the levels, I don't believe early enrollment has any effect. It may give the child a little bit of an edge in the first year of competition, but that's about it. I think once practice is regulated, it becomes an even playing field and whatever the child puts in, talent, etc. at that time has a much larger effect. Just my opinion and experience.

It's definitely not a waste of money. Every preschooler would benefit from exposure to gymnastics. But you don't have to start at 3 to progress. Almost no one started at 3 when I was a kid because those classes were still just on the cusp of starting and becoming popular. Today, preschool gymnastics is popular because it is an activity children can start to learn and make measurable progress in very young, and has social and academic benefits.

However, some kids seek out these kinds of skills and practice naturally. They can often catch up quickly provided they start before puberty.

Catie'sMom: How did the evaluation go this weekend?

Sorry I have not been on, it has been a super crazy few days. The evaluation went well for child not so well with the adults. My child is now level 4, but the testing and subsequent leveling up started a huge parent protest. My husband got to see it for the first time this weekend too. While she was being tested you could cut the tension in the "mommy seats" with a knife but as soon as she was given her name to "put on the wall" while she was doing this three of the mom's stomped out of the parents section and demanded to speak with owner. I was not in the room but it doesn't take too much imagination to figure out what was being "discussed". But the decision was made to keep daughter where she tested at 4 and the gym lost one gymnast over it. I feel horrible about this. I worried the rest of the weekend what my daughter would be treated like at the "team" practices but she seems to have been saved the drama. The girls were very welcoming to her and one even spent some time giving her some bar advice when they were on that rotation. I have a month to bring in the contract and the gym hours have increased expotentially, along with the cost of course. So I guess all in all it went very well, but it was not without its drama.

I don't understand parents getting upset over the level placement of another gymnast. As long as their own child is placed in the right level, who cares????

Sounds like your daughter will be a good addition to the L4 team and will contribute her part at competition. I'm really happy for her :) I have relatively late starters too so I feel your pain.

I don't understand parents getting upset over the level placement of another gymnast. As long as their own child is placed in the right level, who cares????

Sounds like your daughter will be a good addition to the L4 team and will contribute her part at competition. I'm really happy for her :) I have relatively late starters too so I feel your pain.

I don't understand either.............I know a few moms have made pointed comments about Catie taking the coaches attention up too much. Maybe now that she is at the right level and less crazy will be happening on the floor everything will even out.

I am going to find a way to not be at every single practice though, I think the tension in the "mommy seats" is driving me nuts.

Yeah, I agree. I mean having an 8YO L4 isn't crazy unheard of...I think mine was doing the equivalent at the same age (old L5 = new L4, yes???) and she's not some little hot shot either.

What is the problem with people who get mad??? It's not like she bumped someone else's kid off the team. Sheesh!

I don't understand either.............I know a few moms have made pointed comments about Catie taking the coaches attention up too much. Maybe now that she is at the right level and less crazy will be happening on the floor everything will even out.

I am going to find a way to not be at every single practice though, I think the tension in the "mommy seats" is driving me nuts.

Ignore that! We have a couple of moms who are VERY aware of how much time each gymnast gets and one even knows how many attempts a gymnast gets every time she's up. I figure they will wear themselves out at some point because that crap has GOT to be exhausting to keep track of.

Ignore that! We have a couple of moms who are VERY aware of how much time each gymnast gets and one even knows how many attempts a gymnast gets every time she's up. I figure they will wear themselves out at some point because that crap has GOT to be exhausting to keep track of.

It has got to be, I mean I am so focused on watching my daughter I have no time to try and keep track of anyone elses lol.

Glad it went so well! Looking forward to seeing some competition videos and hearing about how she progresses.

I hope to get some videos up soon. I have some I just have been really apprehensive about loading them due to some stuff that happened. for example............someone found my facebook page..........not sure how and my Twitter and started making comments about my child's body type etc and how they would like to see the "muscle definition" without the leo "just to be sure".............dude, no one needs to "be sure" of my child's body type but me and her coach and if you want to "scout" her one of the questions should be where can you see her in the gym not can you send me pictures..............so I am a little wierded out and being overly cautious. I haven't even put up the picture in my profile here yet..........but hopefully this crazy will die down too and I can find at least a few people to talk with that I don't find creepy :)

Mine is really not that bad. One of the moms is only there for about the first 1.5 hours and the other is only there one night a week and about an hour before pick up each night. And they aren't nasty about it. Just make comments about it being why their child doesn't have X skill.

No one cares too much about the level of another child (we recently lost our CGM who was that sort of crazy) and we are pretty much all friends.

I hope to get some videos up soon. I have some I just have been really apprehensive about loading them due to some stuff that happened. for example............someone found my facebook page..........not sure how and my Twitter and started making comments about my child's body type etc and how they would like to see the "muscle definition" without the leo "just to be sure".............dude, no one needs to "be sure" of my child's body type but me and her coach and if you want to "scout" her one of the questions should be where can you see her in the gym not can you send me pictures..............so I am a little wierded out and being overly cautious. I haven't even put up the picture in my profile here yet..........but hopefully this crazy will die down too and I can find at least a few people to talk with that I don't find creepy :)

That's a simple fix. Change your privacy level to friends only.

@Catie's Mom and cbifoja, sounds like your gyms are not for the faint-hearted!

I don't think it is all gyms...........I think it is more of the community in which I live. We are very much how do I look to others around here, and there is always a keep up with the Jones' going on from clothes to cars and apparently that has also leaked into the gym scene. I am sure other communities don't have as much drama in the Mommy seats.

Wait, are you saying that someone who claims to be in the gymnastics world found your facebook and Twitter and was scouting your daughter on it for gymnastics and being creepy about it? Just want to make sure I understand what you are saying...

Wait, are you saying that someone who claims to be in the gymnastics world found your facebook and Twitter and was scouting your daughter on it for gymnastics and being creepy about it? Just want to make sure I understand what you are saying...

Yes, he claims to be from a neighboring state. I am not sure that he found me here as I have not linked my FB and Twitter to this account yet (to be safe) but he has commented and/or liked every single one of my child's pictures on FB and started sending me PM.

I have reported to FB ( and changed my settings) and noticed that someone with the same screen name is following me on Twitter now. I am not sure that he got my info from this thread but his comments and wierdness started after I posted this tread so I am just being careful.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back