Parents Advice for families new to competition

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I also allow lots of time to get to the meet. DD would much prefer to be able to walk around and check out her surroundings, and use the restroom 2,3 times than running in and stripping off warm up as she runs.

Definitely encourage good sportstmanship.

Expect different scoring at different meets. Some meets are typically higher scoring, others lower. Can't figure out why, we just accept it.

Aim for personal goals, rather than necessarily winning. (Staying on beam, increasing a score, etc).

Enjoy the ride, even in those moments when there seems to be no enjoyment ;)

A lot of people rock these at the Carrier Dome for S.U. Games (but they are orange of course! :) )

I just figured out where you're from ;) I lived in N.S. in high school ;)

Siblings have a hard time with all the attention and boredom of meets. If you can make alternative arrangements for them do it. By the time you pay their admission fee and concessions you have probably already paid the cost of a babysitter.
Don't listen to the other parents who think they know how to judge in the stands. They are usually wrong.
Remember the marathon analogy.

try not to bring siblings. If you must, bring bribes and ipads to keep them busy and quiet. I have not yet resorted to this but I hear half of a xanx really helps when watching scary events (beam anyone- oh and that level 8 vault! ACK!) My best piece of advice is to institute the midnight rule. Meaning that good, bad or indifferent, the meet may only be discussed, cried over, rehashed, until midnight of the day of competition. After that it is over, in the past, time to move onward and upward. :)

I also allow lots of time to get to the meet. DD would much prefer to be able to walk around and check out her surroundings, and use the restroom 2,3 times than running in and stripping off warm up as she runs.

Definitely encourage good sportstmanship.

Expect different scoring at different meets. Some meets are typically higher scoring, others lower. Can't figure out why, we just accept it.

Aim for personal goals, rather than necessarily winning. (Staying on beam, increasing a score, etc).

Enjoy the ride, even in those moments when there seems to be no enjoyment ;)

I just figured out where you're from ;) I lived in N.S. in high school ;)
You probably either went to HS with my husband or had him as a teacher depending how old you are! Lol

Reactions: COz
Such a fun journey. Realize that you may be very nervous. Do what you can to enjoy watching your dd.

I have a 13yo boy who's in his 3rd competitive season and a 10yo girl who's competed 1yr. One thing is to think what will be best for your kid. For both kids I do my best to get a good meal in them prior to the meet, it's most difficult with morning meets. Ds loves smoothies though, dd oatmeal.

My son eats a lot of snacks during the meet. I try to be thoughtful about what would be easy to eat and not messy. He eats lots of carb snacks: fruit snacks, apple sauce pouch, small graham crackers etc. It's trickier with dd, she loves the graham crackers too though.

We always eat out afterwards. The kids are crashing and need food as soon as possible.

GPS your route both to the hotel and to the meet before getting in the car.

Expect to forget to pack something. No worries, most parents share.

Check gym bag the night before leaving to make sure everything is in there - grips, white tape, band aids, hair ties and clips, etc.

Check meet website for spectator costs. Most gyms will post how much their entry fee is for guests and whether you must pay for parking.

Bring extra batteries and/or memory cards for your camera. Always.

Pack tissues and baby wipes in your purse. (You'll be amazed how often you use those baby wipes.)

Pack snacks if you don't feel like paying $2 for a small bag of chips.

No, you DON'T have to buy the $10 professional picture of your child or the $35 souvenir T-shirt. It's okay to Just Say No. ;)

Extra money, batteries, hairspray, pins, or ponytail holders. Working pen and scratch paper just in case. Fully charged electronic device for siblings. We have snuck in a few packs of crackers too. Remember that other gyms are sitting right next to you, so vent to your DH in the car.

GPS your route both to the hotel and to the meet before getting in the car.

Pack tissues and baby wipes in your purse. (You'll be amazed how often you use those baby wipes.)

No, you DON'T have to buy the $10 professional picture of your child or the $35 souvenir T-shirt. It's okay to Just Say No. ;)

Verify that the route will actually get you to your destination... We went to an Ohio State University Gymnastics meet. The girls' dad drove. He followed the GPS directions and we ended up in the middle of town at some deserted factory!
Luckily, I knew where we needed to end up and was able to tell him what roads to look for!

Nail polish remover wipes are handy too - just in case. And yes, Baby Wipes are a great investment.

I was JUST looking at the order form for Championships... T-shirts - $15 ... Hooded sweatshirts - $30. OF COURSE, OG wants a hoodie this year!

If you want to video longer events like floor or beam, a monopod for your camera is a great investment, as it will prevent Grandma and Uncle Javier from becoming nauseous whilst watching your beloved child's awesomeness.

If you show or post videos of your child's routines to/for non-gym friends and family, it is only a matter of time before someone says your child is going to the Olympics. It's like a Godwin's Law for gymnastics.

At some point, you will run out of batteries or be distracted and miss videoing a routine. That routine will inevitably be The Best One Ever. The guilt will fade, I assure you.

Everyone who talks about eating rituals after meets? No accident. The raging hunger of a child who has just finished a meet has to be seen to be believed. Feed them or be ready to accept any consequences, up to and including cannibalism.

Everyone who talks about eating rituals after meets? No accident. The raging hunger of a child who has just finished a meet has to be seen to be believed. Feed them or be ready to accept any consequences, up to and including cannibalism.
We hit the NEAREST McDonalds, even if it is in the opposite direction of home!
Last meet, we were lucky - McD was right next to the YMCA. She had the entire drive to finish her Large Vanilla Shake, Large fries, and 2 Mc Chicken sandwiches.

Reactions: COz
Verify that the route will actually get you to your destination

Ain't that the truth? Last year we ended up going over the river and through the woods to get to our hotel in Pigeon Forge by following the GPS. I told DH that if I started hearing banjo music, he was on his own.

This year we'll check our directions BEFORE getting in the car and take the main road into town.

1. Turn off the flash on your camera (and video camera light)

2. Bring lots of cash: you need it for entrance fees, food, leos, and other things.

3. Turn off your flash

4. Don't obsess about the scores. Especially don't worry about the placings.

5. Turn off your flash (and video camera light)

6. If you decide that you can't figure out how the scoring works, you are not alone.

7. Remember to check the flash on your camera and ensure that it is off.

8. If the meet has "good luck -o- grams", buy one for your child. She will love to hear her name announced.

9. Turn off your camera's flash

10. Leave enough time to get to the meet early, and try not to stress out your gymnast beforehand.

11. No flash. Seriously, no flash.

12. Once your child starts stretch with the team, she is the coach's responsibility. It's time for you to step back and let the coach handle everything. You are a spectator until the last rotation has ended.

I'm not kidding: turn that flash OFF!

1. Turn off the flash on your camera (and video camera light)

2. Bring lots of cash: you need it for entrance fees, food, leos, and other things.

3. Turn off your flash

4. Don't obsess about the scores. Especially don't worry about the placings.

5. Turn off your flash (and video camera light)

6. If you decide that you can't figure out how the scoring works, you are not alone.

7. Remember to check the flash on your camera and ensure that it is off.

8. If the meet has "good luck -o- grams", buy one for your child. She will love to hear her name announced.

9. Turn off your camera's flash

10. Leave enough time to get to the meet early, and try not to stress out your gymnast beforehand.

11. No flash. Seriously, no flash.

12. Once your child starts stretch with the team, she is the coach's responsibility. It's time for you to step back and let the coach handle everything. You are a spectator until the last rotation has ended.

I'm not kidding: turn that flash OFF!

So wnl256....what are you trying to say?... I have a flash on my camera, do I have to turn it off? ;)

At our last home meet, I turned in to the flash police (politely) letting people know their flash was on. Had an old man argue with me the second time I said something. Apparently it was a light that came on every time his camera auto focused. I told him to put his thumb on the light before one of the girls (little level 1s) got hurt.

Ugh, that auto light. One of our cameras does that. I can never remember how to make it stop without a lot of messing around with settings.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back