Parents Advice for families new to competition

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Yeah, I only take pics during open stretch (not event warmup) and awards because I'm scared my flash will go off.

I video the events - no flash or light. And I use a tripod and just point it at the event so I can film it but not have to watch through my camera.

If you show or post videos of your child's routines to/for non-gym friends and family, it is only a matter of time before someone says your child is going to the Olympics. It's like a Godwin's Law for gymnastics.

I never know how to respond to this. Anything resembling the truth ends up sounding like "He's not really that good," which makes me sound like a crap parent.

I never know how to respond to this. Anything resembling the truth ends up sounding like "He's not really that good," which makes me sound like a crap parent.
This is so true! (including the Olympic comments) LOL! It's because to someone whose kids are not in gymnastics, basically anything looks great. . .anything! And they also don't understand that if your darling child does get a medal or first in something, it's because it's really broken down by level and age group.

. Turn off your camera's flash

We have a judge around here that has stopped meets to tell someone that the light reflecing off the camera lens is bothering hero_O so I always use a hood on my camera. She does it every.single.meet!

Yes! I feel the same way

At our last home meet, I turned in to the flash police (politely) letting people know their flash was on. Had an old man argue with me the second time I said something. Apparently it was a light that came on every time his camera auto focused. I told him to put his thumb on the light before one of the girls (little level 1s) got hurt.

My dSLR camera has an autofocus light. It was the first thing I turned off. But ... older daughter was an equestrian and I took pictures at many of her events. Flashes and bright lights are even more dangerous when they can spook a one-ton horse.

I am seriously too scared to take pics. They'd look awful anyway.

Well ... you can use your flash during awards. ;)

And you can do what many other parents do.... hold up your iPad and take video of your DDs routines. :rolleyes:

I know I emphasized the no-flash thing a bit. But my volunteer position at meets puts me in a position to see every flash that goes off, and I usually end up being the flash police while working at a meet. Lower levels (1 thru 3) are the worst, because the spectators aren't used to meet etiquette yet.

Make sure you send your gymmie with a water bottle and a snack. Not all host gyms provide those, and 4 plus hours is a long time to go without. Don't forget the hair glitter! It has magical properties, I swear!
Remember the cash and seat cushions. Don't cheer for your kid on beam until her routine is completely DONE , otherwise, cheer away on all other events.
Try not to bring siblings or grandparents that won't last through a lengthy meet. It's just better if they see the video, trust me.
NEVER call the host gym with questions about the meet. Refer them all to your own coach or registrar.
(Big faux pas...just don't do it)
if your gymmie is a boy, don't forget the socks!

have fun, and enjoy!, take lots of video and pictures with no flash, of course. And celebrate with ice cream or food. Or both.

1. Turn off the flash on your camera (and video camera light)

2. Bring lots of cash: you need it for entrance fees, food, leos, and other things.

3. Turn off your flash

4. Don't obsess about the scores. Especially don't worry about the placings.

5. Turn off your flash (and video camera light)

6. If you decide that you can't figure out how the scoring works, you are not alone.

7. Remember to check the flash on your camera and ensure that it is off.

8. If the meet has "good luck -o- grams", buy one for your child. She will love to hear her name announced.

9. Turn off your camera's flash

10. Leave enough time to get to the meet early, and try not to stress out your gymnast beforehand.

11. No flash. Seriously, no flash.

12. Once your child starts stretch with the team, she is the coach's responsibility. It's time for you to step back and let the coach handle everything. You are a spectator until the last rotation has ended.

I'm not kidding: turn that flash OFF!
Isn't that the truth! I was just at a meet where a judge actually got up, walked over to the stands, and hollered up at a lady who apparently didn't get the memo (I.e. Repeated announcements about turning off the flash). Lesson learned hopefully!

We were warned already that cameras would be taken if we used the flash. I was like taken? This people are serious!!!

Definitely be prepared for the cost of the sport. I think that really catches people off guard when they first start.

There is lots of great advice on here about encouraging your gymnast, not focusing on scores, etc.

A big piece of advice I would give is to create a network of parents and build on that. We have this at our gym and it is awesome! We all help each other out, communicate about information, look out for each other's kids, stay in the same places, and create memories for the girls inside and outside of the gym. Because of this, our girls have a special bond and it makes the journey more fun when you have great people to share it with.

A big piece of advice I would give is to create a network of parents and build on that. We have this at our gym and it is awesome!
This is an amazing piece of advice. Also, if possible, never burn a bridge with any gym parent. Never allow jealousy of skills, progression or potential get the better of you. Things get hard in the upper levels. You never know who will be left standing. And no one will provide better support than the families left in the trenches with you.

Pack gym bag the night before.

Make sure your gymnast is well rested.

Keep extras in bag all the time, rip kit and tape, wipes, hair stuff (Brush, gel, spray, bun maker, rubber bands, clips, scrunchie), minor first aid stuff, lotion. This way you are never running around trying to remember everything. Restock immediately after the meet so its not an issue right before.

Don't forget snacks, combo quick carb and protein, and water.

Program your GPS ahead off time. And confirm it gels with the directions on the host gyms website and hotels.

Keep your nerves and feelings in check, so your gymnast doesn't pick up on it.

Let the coach be the coach. We don't mention anything specific to gymnastics or meet, unless she brings it up. All she hears from us is, "Do your best and have fun. We just love watching you" Our gym tends to have them set yearly skill goals, so last year was getting her kip. This year its her front tuck on the floor or some dismount, I'm not sure. And a bad day is just that, one bad day.

Meets are just meets. We follow our coaches advice and not give things like states or regionals more weight. It's a meet do your best.

Most meets we go to, use meetscoresonline.com for results so I don't stress logging her results (though they are all in a spreadsheet), and I do jot them in my phone, no book here.

I do spring for the professional photos once a year (although I only do the digital images, and make my own collages or shutterfly stuff)

She gets to pick the meal after the meet, she did the work.

I bring my knitting or crochet, to kill time and keep my stress level down.

Remember pretty much everyone there is related to a gymnast, be nothing but positive If you can hear them, know they too can hear you and your gymnast hears you too. We do our personal whining and complaing, when she is at practice and can't hear us :)

And yes turn off the flash and yes I never remember how to turn off the auto focus one.

And in the words of my daughter "Its just gymnastics, not world war"

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back