WAG Another USAG screw up

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A lot of these are the same arguments used by the Catholic Church when their sexual abuse scandals were in the news - "nothing we can do, law enforcement issue, no one went to the police, we're a lowly non-profit".

Maybe the real issue is that groups w/ limited resources and no authority to take action should not be governing national organizations where adults have influence and power over children. I am shocked to find out that the USAG can't and won't do anything about persons who are reported to them to be molesters unless there is criminal conviction. They couldn't just put something in the wording of the coaches membership that says "if someone reports you for abuse, your membership will be put on hold pending an investigation, and we also have to right to tell those who make inquiries as to your status that you are under investiagation" - and then every year when the person renews they have to re-sign it? Make people like Nassar who work w/ athletes sign the same thing in order to go into a member club.

I absolutely understand that USAG can only do so much, that's what makes this so difficult to "judge". What's admirable, is that now that this is all out in the open to everyone on the outside, they are properly doing what's right (at least it seems like they are). USAG sent out that newsletter that touched on the subject, and they did so very professionally in my opinion, as they should, as they have the right to. I think the main thing they should make clear is that if anyone has something they want to report (be that an athlete, a coach, or a parent) that they are able to do so knowing that if they do, their athletic career or their position in the organization will not be jeopardized. Many of the athletes who were abused may not have reported anything initially because they were in serious fear that they would be banned or ostracized due to their allegations, and no one should have to fear for that, ever.

and this is why the USOC has begun this new agency. they should have done this long ago. everything you have stated is spot on. this agency is where ALL complaints should go. THEY have the money, the resources and the backing of their bosses...the Federal Government. :)

you think that it's a coincidence that certain Senators started asking questions and all of the sudden...BOOM...the USOC comes out with a dandy press release about this new agency? even though it's been in the works for years?? and they STILL don't have a board selected of individuals from various walks of professional life. AND the paper thinks this is a bad idea because of the "fox in the hen house" theory.

you see? damned if you do and damned if you don't and no good deed goes unpunished.

Just read through this whole thread and my overwhelming thought is ICK.

ICK to our criminal justice system, anyone who works in it says it's a mess and none of them would say it works even remotely close to perfectly.

ICK that we as parents haven't done a better job of protecting our kiddos.

ICK to creeps that prey on kids and leave a whole wake of destruction in the lives of kids and adults.

ICK to how hard it is for good, honest gym owners and coaches to do their jobs

ICK to an organizations with thousands of dues-paying members who say their sole purpose is to produce twenty or so elite gymnasts

ICK to so much focus on pointing fingers instead of finding solutions.

ICK to a sport that requires so many hours in the gym of tiny kids, screens them early based on body type, and yet seems sometimes hostile and scornful toward parents of said kids

ICK to me for also not saying anything positive at this point.

A lot of these are the same arguments used by the Catholic Church when their sexual abuse scandals were in the news - "nothing we can do, law enforcement issue, no one went to the police, we're a lowly non-profit".

Maybe the real issue is that groups w/ limited resources and no authority to take action should not be governing national organizations where adults have influence and power over children. I am shocked to find out that the USAG can't and won't do anything about persons who are reported to them to be molesters unless there is criminal conviction. They couldn't just put something in the wording of the coaches membership that says "if someone reports you for abuse, your membership will be put on hold pending an investigation, and we also have to right to tell those who make inquiries as to your status that you are under investiagation" - and then every year when the person renews they have to re-sign it? Make people like Nassar who work w/ athletes sign the same thing in order to go into a member club.

i understand why you see it that way. and the answer is somewhere in the middle.
USAG can do certain things even when there is no criminal conviction. there is a famous Olympic coach on the banned list.
there is language to that effect. membership is on the same mission statement page as USAG.
every year we do have to sign a document for membership, club membership, etc; AND there is the every other year background check.

and then there is what constitutes an "investigation". i believe that this new USOC agency will be more useful than what we have now. and they'll have to answer to the Feds. :)

Just read through this whole thread and my overwhelming thought is ICK.

ICK to our criminal justice system, anyone who works in it says it's a mess and none of them would say it works even remotely close to perfectly.

ICK that we as parents haven't done a better job of protecting our kiddos.

ICK to creeps that prey on kids and leave a whole wake of destruction in the lives of kids and adults.

ICK to how hard it is for good, honest gym owners and coaches to do their jobs

ICK to an organizations with thousands of dues-paying members who say their sole purpose is to produce twenty or so elite gymnasts

ICK to so much focus on pointing fingers instead of finding solutions.

ICK to a sport that requires so many hours in the gym of tiny kids, screens them early based on body type, and yet seems sometimes hostile and scornful toward parents of said kids

ICK to me for also not saying anything positive at this point.

sometimes i wish i was just a greeter at the local Walmart. but most of us in the industry are proactive and want to leave our industry in a better place for those that will replace us. they really and sincerely do. the good fight always has a rocky road. :)

i understand why you see it that way. and the answer is somewhere in the middle.
USAG can do certain things even when there is no criminal conviction. there is a famous Olympic coach on the banned list.
there is language to that effect. membership is on the same mission statement page as USAG.
every year we do have to sign a document for membership, club membership, etc; AND there is the every other year background check.

and then there is what constitutes an "investigation". i believe that this new USOC agency will be more useful than what we have now. and they'll have to answer to the Feds. :)
@dunno can you direct folks here where to read up on this new USOC Agency you are referring to here? Thanks.

Good to know they do them for everyone regardless of their status, and I also wasn't sure what does and doesn't show up on background checks, I was just stating that we as outsiders have no idea what could have been known or not known, so there's no way we can blame them for employing someone with a history of abuse, just used that as an example to play decile advocate.

and to highlight your point...you can't blame an organization when they JUST learned that there might be a problem in paradise. there was no "history" as far as anyone knew...but maybe MSU did. and they didn't give anyone a heads up.

Dunno- just curious- when USAG fired him, why didn't they notify Twistars to let them know? The fact that the parent org fired him, but he kept working for a USAG club is baffling to me.
USAG is not the "parent organization" of Twistars… and who is to say that Twistars was not aware?

sometimes i wish i was just a greeter at the local Walmart. but most of us in the industry are proactive and want to leave our industry in a better place for those that will replace us. they really and sincerely do. the good fight always has a rocky road. :)

I am sorry, but this rocky road has gone on too long. Too many of these abusers are repeat offenders. I believe what is partly to blame is that parents trust far too easily in this sport. I havelearned to trust no one.

yep...gone on since the Torah. your wrong mindedness is that you think it must happen in our "sport" because the road is rocky which has gone on too long? and partly because parents easily trust?

fact is, almost all abusers are repeat abusers...and from ALL walks of life and from ALL walks of professions. our profession is no exception. neither is your profession. you've stated previously that you are a teacher. YOUR profession can't fix the problem.

and odds are (statistics) this issue has hit close to your home or someone in your immediate family. someone in a position of trust. so you can continue to trust no one. do you know how many people are affected by this issue that trust no one?

my perspective...my opinion...and i have to live in the real world like everyone else. i'm nobody special.

yep...gone on since the Torah. your wrong mindedness is that you think it must happen in our "sport" because the road is rocky which has gone on too long? and partly because parents easily trust?

fact is, almost all abusers are repeat abusers...and from ALL walks of life and from ALL walks of professions. our profession is no exception. neither is your profession. you've stated previously that you are a teacher. YOUR profession can't fix the problem.

and odds are (statistics) this issue has hit close to your home or someone in your immediate family. someone in a position of trust. so you can continue to trust no one. do you know how many people are affected by this issue that trust no one?

my perspective...my opinion...and i have to live in the real world like everyone else. i'm nobody special.
What exactly is your point? Just as you have your own ideas and opinions, so do I. Hence I refrenced this sport because we are on a gymnastics site. You don't think I know this happens elsewhere? Really? And where on Earth did you think I was attempting to solve Anything? I merely stated that I trust no one because unfortunately that is Reality. And I further would appreciate you not bringing my personal life into this. Do you happen to know the murky water you are walking into?

ummm...i don't know your personal life therefore i have no idea what murky water i might be walking in to and have no idea what you are talking about.

A lot of truth in this. This is a widespread problem. Anytime adult males are put in positions of power and authority over children and have unique access there have to be red flags up. In sports coaching, pediatric medicine, education, the clergy etc. "society" needs to become more sophisticated when it comes to recognizing in advance and/ or weeding out abusers and there needs to be a concerted effort made to encourage victims to go to a "safe" authority (parent, teacher whoever) right away after an incident.

A lot of truth in this. This is a widespread problem. Anytime adult males are put in positions of power and authority over children and have unique access there have to be red flags up. In sports coaching, pediatric medicine, education, the clergy etc. "society" needs to become more sophisticated when it comes to recognizing in advance and/ or weeding out abusers and there needs to be a concerted effort made to encourage victims to go to a "safe" authority (parent, teacher whoever) right away after an incident.
It's not just males.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back