Parents Anyone competing this weekend?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Made it through our BIG road meet!

:)We had our big travel meet this weekend, 5 hours to Twistars in Lansing. I hate the drive to this meet, but it is always a joy to attend. They certainly run a smooth and enjoyable meet. This was my dd'd second L6 meet of the season, but the last meet was a month ago.

Her scores

Bars 7.4 (up from a 6.675)
Beam 8.7
Floor 9.025
Vault 9.175 (up from a 8.4)

Beam was a little lower than last time but overall it was a successful meet. She qualified for states and at least that worry is over, LOL. Last year she didn't qualify till the 2nd to last meet of the season, and that was too much stress. Her group included Twistars and IGI, so it was pretty competetive. She placed 4th on floor and came home with a medal so life was good. The 13+ group from our gym really rocked, they came home with 1 and 2nd all arounds.

my dd has her first meet of 2008 next weekend. I will let you know how she does. She is L3 - which they do not have @ state's here, so there at least is no stress about qualifying for that.

:)We had our big travel meet this weekend, 5 hours to Twistars in Lansing. I hate the drive to this meet, but it is always a joy to attend. They certainly run a smooth and enjoyable meet. This was my dd'd second L6 meet of the season, but the last meet was a month ago.

Her scores

Bars 7.4 (up from a 6.675)
Beam 8.7
Floor 9.025
Vault 9.175 (up from a 8.4)

Beam was a little lower than last time but overall it was a successful meet. She qualified for states and at least that worry is over, LOL. Last year she didn't qualify till the 2nd to last meet of the season, and that was too much stress. Her group included Twistars and IGI, so it was pretty competetive. She placed 4th on floor and came home with a medal so life was good. The 13+ group from our gym really rocked, they came home with 1 and 2nd all arounds.

Catesmom, it was great to see an improvement in scores & congrats to your dd on qualifying for state! :D I had been following the scores of that meet - hard to not notice that the "hosting" gym pretty much dominated... I also saw that JW competed as L10 - she also did this in OH at the Region 5 cup.... kind of unfair, but fun to watch I am sure.

Glad to hear that you guys had a fun weekend:) - nic

My DD competed this past weekend as well.

Vault 8.55
Bars 8.725 (up from 7.65)
Beam 8.6 (up from 7.95)
Floor 8.35 (up from 7.95)

We have our first sectional in 2 weeks. I hope she can do this again in 2 weeks :)

chelsea's meet went well..

vault- 8.8 .. down from her last meet (9.0)
beam- 8.8 .. up from her last meet (8.6)
bars- 8.475 .. up from her last meet (8.150)
floor- 8.025 .. waaaaaay down from her last meet (9.150)

she did get a medal for beam and JUST BARELY missed one on vault..

My gymie survived her 1st L7 meet. 1st meets of the season for here just seem to have wacky things happen. We had the leo issue and then a very odd thing on bars. One coach calls her a "technical" gymnast. Said she doesn't feel comfortable until she really understands all the nuances of a new level. She did admit, optionals are way different than compulsory and was probably thinking too much about getting all her A and B skills in.

Anyway--
Vault--8.65(they had the toughest judge in the state as head judge)
Bars--8.35--grip got hung up on the high bar and she had to kip up from a dead hang. Still was able to do decent giants with a stuck flyaway.
Beam--7.9--fell on switch leap, took about 1/2 second too long between her bwos and didn't get credit for the series
Floor--8.7--pretty good for a kid who says she can't dance!

Since this was a small meet, they only went out 5 places for awards. If she had been competing in the older group, she would have been 4th AA. In her group---nothing. On the up side, she qualified for states, so now thats out of the way.

Congratulations to all the girls who had meets this past weekend:) Sounds like everyone did great:)
Way to go to the ones that qualified for their states after their meets too.

We are back from our Diamond Jewels Invitational... I was a wreck with nerves probably more than my dd. First her hair turned out adorable. I think I finally figured a great way to do it.
I put it up in a high pony, then took the bendy curlers and hairsprayed each piece of hair I put in the curlers and then pinned the curls. It was so cute. Of course by competition time it had fallen a bit but still looked adorable. I will have to share the pic here in a bit.
Okay back to the meet. Level 4's were split up into two sessions. 1st session was 6,7 and 10 and over which since our team was only taking out level 4 stars, we had 8 in the first session all 10 and over and my daughter and 2 of her other teammates were in the second session which was just 8 and 9 year olds. Okay anyway, first session went great. 2 of our older girls 13 both got 37.3 in the all around and we were looking good going into the second session. The beam judge was very hard. To get a 9 out of her was like pulling teeth.
So in the second session, we started on vault and Emily was in the 8a group which turned out to be the toughest and closest of all the competition.
She got an 8.9 on vault... still can't crack the 9.0 mark but this time it wasn't the run, it was not being able to land flat on her back. She has so much repulsion she just flies. I wanted her to have the extra 8 inch mat on top of the big blue mat but her other 2 teammates(both 9) are each about 6 inches shorter than her even though my daughter is actually the youngest.
So we got to move to bars next... Emily got up and did a beautiful routine with the exception of almost falling back on her stride circle but her casts were gorgeous, her front hip was gorgeous and her glide/pullover gorgeous and her dismount she went way out. She got a 9.25 which we thought for sure would have been a 9.6 if she wouldn't have had a tiny step on the landing of dismount and the little blub in the stride circle.
Okay now off to beam... She cracked the 9.0 barrier with a 9.05 very smooth routine with one bigger bobble but not bad... on her first 1/2 turn.
Floor... beautiful routine... 9.2:)
So 36.4 in the all around.
Okay now for the tough competition.... practically all the girls in the 8a group are 2nd year level 4s. So the scores were all neck and neck especially on bars. However, I said the beam judge was brutal all weekend. Well a bunch of the girls Emily was losing too in the AA blew it on beam. ONe girl had 9.55V, 9.5 bars, 9.35 on FX and well she fell 2 times and got a 7.25 on beam, just threw her out of the top AA.
So Emily ended up with a 9th in Vault
4th on Bars
2nd on Beam (silver medal)
3rd on Floor ( bronze medal)
and 3rd in the All Around:)
Now for our team scores.... Our team took 1st place with a 112.95 and only my daughter and her other 2 teammates were there to get the trophy as all the other girls had gone home.
Then the biggest surprise of them all is that the meet had a grand prize trophy for all the teams and all the levels that competed that weekend of a plaque and 1000 dollars prize...It was called the super team. Well you guessed it, Our level 4 team won the super team and Emily and her 2 teammates got to stand on the podium and take that prize too:) Our coach was jumping for joy.
The 1000 dollars goes into our team's booster club money for gym equipment. I am sure the President of the Booster Club is going to be very excited too.
Thanks for reading if you kept up and I will have her videos up later tonight or tomorrow.
Next meet is next Sunday Afternoon, KC Coed Meet on the Missouri side of KC.

Wow, what a great job Emily did, and the team awards are just wonderful. A lot of people will benefit from all the level 4's hard work.

GLad your hair went well!:D

MY DD had her first meet of the season yesterday. Somethings went well.. others not so much.

She did score an all time optional best on Vault. 8.375. She has never been strong on Vault. But things might turn around this year.

She scored a 8.3 on bars (this was up from 7.8 at our judges Mock Meet)

She fell twice on beam, very very unlike her. 7.45.. throwing in a round off instead of a backhandspring didnt help things there. this score is down from a 9.0 at our Judges meet. Although, on the bright side of things.. she is so mad about it that she is determined to get her BHS on beam back this week.

Floor looked good to me and the other Coach/parent that I sat with, but she only scored a 8.1. That score was the one my DD was most upset uabout. She scored a 8.7 at our judges meet.

An all around of over a 32. We are going to take that as a positive.

Good luck to everyone competing next weekend!

Good for her for trying so hard. 7.45 with two falls is actually very good, and even better is her all around score, she knows they weren't her best scores, so it will only get better from here.

My daughter just got mome from her team travelmeet.She is ten and it is her second year of level 7.She told us the judges were scoring hard.Here are her scores:
Vault 9.2 (1 st place)
Bars 9.25 (2 nd place)
Beam 9.05 (2nd place)
Floor 9.2 (3rd place)

Wow Hunde:) YOur daughter did awesome with tough judges. Way to go.

Kristilyn:) YOu daughter did great and way to get some of the scores up on her first meet from the mock meet. Sorry about the falls on beam though:( It is always so hard when they fall but it looks like she finished strong overall. Floor, sounds like the judge was tough and sometimes there is no rhyme and reason how they score that. One of our level 5's looked like her floor rountine was awesome this weekend and she got a 7.9 and seriously, I couldn't see the difference in the girl that scored an 8.9 before her.

We'll be at the Sectional meet at Chantily Academy next Saturday at 5:00!!! I hate that time.... DD will be up and about all day long and then try to compete late in the day... oh well... nothing to be done about it!!!!

Meet on Saturday

Finally got our schedule for our meet. DD will compete on Saturday @ 2pm.

She is nervous. She has been working so hard. My fingers (and toes, lol) will be crossed!!!!

Littlest Bog, 8 years, has her first meet on Saturday. She has to be there at 7am and it is over an hours drive away, she also has gym the night before. We are the farthest away gym and we are hosting too, so we'll be there until 10pm helping with refreshments, medals and scoring.:eek: Sunday will be an ugly day, I think we'll give skiing a miss this week.:D

She is very excited, has her new floor routine to Inspector Gadget all ready, it should be very cute. She wants me to try out her hair tomorrow, who knows what it'll look like at 5:30am on Saturday!

Good luck to everyone else who will be competing.

Is anyone going to the Bravo Meet in Lisle this upcoming weekend? We will be going, we got the lucky 5pm Sunday time for the Level 6's, could be worse, Level 7's go at 8 am on Saturday.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back