Awkward interactions with other girls from your gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So I was on a prep op team at my gym and didn't really know girls from the JO program at the gym that well.......I felt like if I ever ran into them in public somewhere we would recognize each other but not know each other and it would be really awkward. Like once I was going to the pool, I had just gotten back from a meet, so I was wearing a bunch of medals around my neck and a shirt from another meet that all the JO girls at my gym had also attended. Anyway I saw someone who went to my gym, and I don't even know if she knew who I was but I walked in and sure enough, she was staring at me with my medals THE ENTIRE TIME until I went into the locker room. And there was a girl who went to my middle school who would wear some kind of gymnastics t-shirt almost every day, and once I was wearing one and she gave me this evil glare, like she had to be "the" girl from our gym at our school! There are a lot of girls at my school now who go to my old gym and this would also happen at the beginning of the school year when they saw me in school and recognized me.

Just wondering, has anyone else experienced similar interactions with girls who are maybe on a different level at the gym and you don't really know that well?

Yeah, sometimes it's awkward when you see people outside of where you typically interact with them. Don't let it bother you too much. I know I'm the Death Glare Girl sometimes...if I see someone I know is a gymnast, I'm trying avidly to figure out 1) which gym she goes to and 2) if she's better than I am. My fiercely inquisitive visage appears hostile, I'm sure.

Don't let them bother you...it's always weird when you sort of know someone but sort of don't. Strike up a conversation at the gym sometime and the awkwardness will go away!

Our gym is really friendly with one another, in fact one of my team mates goes to my school and is in the year below me (when you consider how few people do gymnastics in my area at my age it is quite surprising), as for other people in other squads we are all pretty friendly even when seeing each other out of gym although sometimes i do like being the only gymnast among a group of people

Our gym is really friendly with one another, in fact one of my team mates goes to my school and is in the year below me (when you consider how few people do gymnastics in my area at my age it is quite surprising), as for other people in other squads we are all pretty friendly even when seeing each other out of gym although sometimes i do like being the only gymnast among a group of people
Yeah at my new gym it's like this :) We are all really nice to eachother and stuff :) but at my older gym, it was like this a lot, because everyone was always so awkward :b We could barely have a conversation

I found out that one of my teammates is a textbook conservative Republican, while I'm a liberal Democrat... if that counts...

But on a more serious note, it's REALLY awkward coming back from meets and seeing our Excel team. Unlike some gyms, our Excel team is really laid back, and more for girls that don't really want to commit to gymnastics or quit, not people who just want an alternative from JO.
Anyways, they usually don't do very well at meets, so it's not the most pleasant of experiences seeing the way they look at us when our coaches tell everyone how we did at a meet they attended as well.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News