WAG Bars Scoring Questions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

rjb123

Proud Parent
So DD is finally coming along with her bars. Yay! She is now scoring mid to upper 8's (from the low 7's she was quoted at prior to competition season.) She told me after her meet this weekend that her coach said that for each element where her feet are not together it is a .2 deduction. So kip with feet apart is -.2, cast following kip with feet apart 0.2 etc. He told her that if she gets her feet together she can hit the 9's. I was wondering if that was correct (mind you this is coming second hand from a 7 year old!).
Also, I was watching routines this weekend and was wondering about the swing portion. Some kids were getting huge scores but their swings just looked "wrong". They were not very "hollow" and their buts were sticking out- they had a funny flingy look to them, but they were high. Others had lower swings but better looking (to me) form. The girls with the higher swings (but they looked uglier to me) got much better scores than girls with decent height but better looking form. Which is more important? I am just curious- not attempting to correct or coach!! ;)

I am not sure what level you are at but there are minimum cast requirements at most levels so even if it is nice form if it isn't at or above the correct height then it is still a huge deduction. I believe it is 0.3 for EACH cast. DD had the hardest time getting those casts high enough and was always loosing 0.6 everytime.

I think you are talking about the tap swings. Small tap swings can kill the score. Also, one thing we learned was that tall kids can look like their tap swing is not as high in the back becuase the visual is that the toes are not above the low bar. Shorter kids almost always look like their toes are higher than the low bar.

Lastly, tall kids often have to pike a little (stick the butt out as you mentioned) on the back swing because they may otherwise hit their feet on the low bar or just worry that they will.

That about covers my extensive knowledge of bars!! :)

Keep in mind these are generally ''up to' deductions. So up to .2 for leg separation. Also there are separate deductions for shape (arch), bent legs, height of cast, glide extension, etc. So she may only be losing only .1 per- depends on judges. Regardless, they add up. Just like .1 on landing steps and .05 for flexed feet.

Her coach could be correct assuming that's something she's actually getting the deduction for every time. Obviously there are other things she needs to be aware of too that can bring her score down. If you take a look at some of the things the judges can deduct for its a pretty extensive list. But if the feet apart is a habit of hers it can definitely add up and something that needs to be fixed as soon as possible. The longer it takes to fix a bad habit the harder it is to fix.

A lot of the time coaches tell kids the max deduction they can get for something so that the kid can fix that one thing. I'm sure that there are other things to fix but it is common to focus on a habit like this to help fix it.

The deductions for not meeting cast requirements are higher than feet separations deductions. I also think judges are more forgiving on body shapes in the lower levels. However, those that start off with better form, foundation end up performing better in the higher levels. Bad shape/form/foundation may get you through compulsories but building up on those poorly executed skills will be difficult as you get to the higher levels.

Is your DD in level 6 or above? If so, if she is not coming within 20 degrees of handstand on her casts, she is not getting the value part for her element - thus her start value of the routine is lower. Plus, she loses points for form, so you can quickly see scores in the 7s when the casts are too low.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back