Beams For Home?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have been trying to think of Christmas ideas for our daughter (level 3), and I really can't think of anything that she would LOVE (Santa already sent her to the IGC Thanksgiving Clinic.. so that set the bar high!). The only thing that I can think of that she has been asking for over and over is a beam for at home. I was just wondering, if your daughter has one - how much does she actually use it? I would be getting an 8 foot beam.. and she would not be allowed to do anything crazy, don't worry :O).

Rollable floor beam

FWIW, my daughter has enjoyed this product for years:

aab4 all american rollable balance beam

It can be used on a carpeted floor or on a panel mat for a bit of extra cushioning--and it can easily be rolled up and stashed in a closet if necessary.

Also FWIW, we have a suede-covered, eight-foot home beam that was given to DD a couple of years ago by a friend who decided to concentrate on dance. According to her parents that girl almost never used it after the first few weeks with it, and my daughter uses it even less frequently than I do :)

Here's a recent thread about home equipment that might interest you:

http://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/q...-home-equipment-gymnasts-practice-home-2.html

This may be a silly question.. but the rolling mat doesn't move around?

It's not clear from the product illustration, but the "beam" is, I think, made of a high-quality, closed-cell evasote foam in two layers of different densities. (Evasote is used for applications such as running shoe midsoles.) The surface texture is similar to a suede beam covering.

The beam has velcro strips to hold it in place on carpet; that works well, and it doesn't seem to damage our (fairly short pile) carpet when it is removed, but I think it might slip around a bit if used on the smooth surface of a panel mat. It rolls up into a reasonably compact package--at least it's easier to store the rollable beam in a closet than it is to stash the eight-foot rigid beam. (I confess that DD twice brought the rollable beam on vacation trips when we shared a place with a family that includes a gymnast three weeks older than my kid.)

I have a home beam and i use it all the time the australian beam shop is www.thebeamshop.com.au and the american version is www.thebeamstore.com i got my beam from the beamshop and love it i got it with my name for free. I got it last yr for christmas. i practice my routine on it without all the jumps and handstand ect. lol and its really good :)

mayestra12 (I wish I knew your name now, haha!) - you're probably right! :O) How funny!

I just found these forums recently and they have been such a wealth of great information! Your beam is the one that I was looking at!

My dd is getting a beam for Christmas for her grandparents.

Pink 8 ft Suede Gymnastics Balance beam

I hope she will use it a lot!

I think we may have met at IGC last weekend...maybe I was chatting with you at pickup on the last day?

My daughter has this beam. She uses it almost daily. Loves to practice her split leap and tuck jump on it. Also works on her handstand and cartwheel. I was able to cut a groove in a thick foam cushion that she uses as a full length mat for her beam.

She has asked for higher legs for the beam because she wants to practice her swing up to the plank. The legs are as expensive as the beam is though so she's going to have to wait until I can budget some money and save.

I got one for Christmas a long time ago and love it. I used to use it a lot but it drove my family crazy because I always wanted to play on it when we were all watching TV... it's currently in my room next to my bed as I couldn't take it with to my dorm, but I did seriously consider it :)

Well, I bit the bullet and bought it! I know that she will LOVE it and I am so thankful that everyone eased my mind about it not just becoming a piece of furniture :O).

We ordered a balance beam from My Happy Dance (thru ebay) 3 years ago. My daughter still uses it to practice a bwo now and then. It sits about 3 inches off the ground which lets them get the feel for handstands, etc.

My daughter went to LSU gymnastics camp this past summer. The college staff built their own practice beams for the college girls and the camp to work out on. Our coach snapped pics of it. We came back and built them for our gym. I built one yesterday for the girls to practice on at home per our coaches suggestion. They are not off the ground but help with new skills. Here is how we do it. 2-2by4's, and 1 1by4. Liguid nail them together. Wrap in duck tape. (seriously, LOL). Buy the cheap blue carpet from Lowes or Home Depot. Cut to wrap it in. Use a staple gun to staple it on. For 10 bucks you have a practice beam that won't warp and is 4 inches in width. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back