Parents Brag Alert: Found out DD is moving up!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mama2JLN

Proud Parent
DD was supposed to have a private Saturday but woke up sick. Her coach called me during that time and we started chatting. She said that she knew she probably shouldn't be telling me, but they've already make the decision to move DD up at the end of the season. She is currently a L4 and just turned 7. Given her age, I wasn't sure if they would move her or not. Also, it seems that most girls repeat L4 at this gym. This is our first year at this gym, and we have been very happy.

The coach said all the coaches are impressed with her strength, work ethic and ability to make corrections. She works so hard and I'm so happy for her that she will be moving up. We have discussed the benefits of moving up or not, and DD was ready to accept either decision. They don't usually make level decisions until the end of July as we do not compete until November, so I'm so excited that they are already sure about her.

The only catch is that we can't tell her yet. She still has two more meets, including championships, so we want her focused on this and the coach doesn't want everyone else to know as she is the youngest in her level and there are many who won't be moving up. I just had to tell others who would understand how excited and happy I am!

Yeah!

Unfortunately what we've learned from personal experience and CB is that being told informally by a coach that a child will be moving up does not ALWAYS mean that they will be moved up when actual move ups take place. So this is a good thing but just wait and see.

so happy for your dd! i have an almost 6 year old, she's the youngest on her team, too.. the other day at the gym one of her coaches asked her how old she is and then ran off "to check something". she came back a bit disappointed.. i said, "what?" she said, "she's won't be old enough for the new level 4." of course with all my reading on CB and the USAG site i knew that. i still felt very happy that they are looking at her to move up. she's L3.. there have been no 6 y.o. L4's this year, but i am assuming that they will definately move her to the new L3 when she turns 6.. Like emorymom said, i am happy, but will just wait and see.

But, yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay, about it all just being mentioned!! i know you felt so proud of her!

Congratulations! We never know what level for sure until the end of summer although the assumption is always that most kids will move up one level. But for skippers and repeaters, they don't find out until August.

I'm not too worried about the informal announcement because it came from the head coach. If it had come from someone else, I would probably be a little leery about its validity. On the way to gym tonight, she mentioned that she would probably be staying the same level next year and it took everything in me to just tell her that she just needs to keep working hard like she is and she may have a chance to move up.

ETA: Thanks for all the congrats. I can't say anything to anyone IRL, so it's great to have a place where others understand :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back