WAG Can I post this? 3yr old gymnast on Ellen

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hm well, I had just taken the Ellen video at face value, seems like there were way more worse things on the IG channel (which I don't follow). I don't really get it, this is sanctioned by the gym/coaches?

https://instagram.com/p/BDB7HtiH9Gx/

WHAT is this and who let this happen??! Shame on the gym, shame on the coach, and shame on this parent! This child is going to break her neck!!!

This was the one I referenced earlier....she's off by herself , hurling herself back onto her head! I get that she seems to have talent but shouldn't there be some monitoring of these attempts for safety sake?

And someone mentioned in an earlier post about why Olympians would "follow" this type of CGM postings....the mom definitely references wearing "so and so's" leos in the posts so I'm sure those with leo lines follow those who wear them and post pics of them...

I took a look at the gym website and I am hoping that when the mom says 20 (now 16) hours, that she means this little girl is enrolled in the preschool program they have at the gym and that all of these hours are not actually in the gym.

Looked at more videos from the links here and that truly scares me. She really does not have the arm length to clear her head. She hits it every single time. And her head is still way too disproportionate compared to her body. She is head-heavy as are most toddlers and young preschoolers. recipe for disaster.

First thought was: what a sweet, confident, plucky little cutie.

As for the gymnastics...holy heck. Terrifying. Horrifying. Might as well put her in boxing - she'd get the same percussive head and neck injuries as she's getting from all those back headsprings.

Here's a comment she left when someone asked how long she trains:
"Michelle Newtown she has practice 2x a week for 1.5hrs each and then a week ago we added a one hour private. So she trains 4 hours a week now :)". I'm confused. Does she train at home the remaining hours?! That's even more frightening!

She is absolutely adorable and certainly very talented. But I agree, I didn't think that 3 year olds were supposed to be doing full bridges yet, let alone full backbends, kick overs and back handsprings. Couldn't this be very hard on a developing spine? I know that at our gym, they only do the partial bridges in preschool classes, I thought it was the norm to wait until age 5 or so to start introducing full bridges and backbends, etc.
At her age, we do "tabletops" instead of bridges. Way back when OG moved into the 5 and up rec classes (2nd level of the rec classes at that) when she was 4-1/2, she was not to do a bridge unless spotted, held 1 second, then 3 "rock and rolls" (or she did them with her feet elevated and a coach standing by to make sure she stayed off her head - and those were only held 3 seconds followed by the rock and rolls. She COULD have done the bridge on her own on the floor, but HC said she wasn't old enough yet.

Speaking of the clumsy thing, She told Ellen she started when she was 2.5, and Ellen said "Oh so you've been doing this for 6 months, WOW!" No. She is basically 4. From what I can recall her birthday is on Sunday. There is a huge difference between just turned 3 year olds, and just turned 4 year olds.

And also ones who have been slaving away in the gym for 16-20 hours. Crazyness.
Yes, her mom should have corrected Ellen on how long she has been in the gym, AT LEAST!

I can't imagine how someone who attempts (key word) to teach three year olds gymnastics on a daily basis could think that a three year old, any kind of three year old, doing a pullover, getting her head up, then doing a cast back hip circle and a stalder press with fairly straight arms is anything short of extraordinary. That is basically the definition of extraordinary. To put this in perspective, most 3 year olds cannot skip and only about 50% can do an unspotted front support forward roll while a good portion can't even attempt it with an iron grip spot.

That said if she really goes 20 hours a week that definitely explains some things to me and makes my head spin. I still don't think "any child could do it" because most children simply couldn't even attend and participate in that amount of practices. It really wouldn't matter.

I would never choose or endorse this path, but she truly is built for gymnastics as such likely will not be as affected by doing this stuff as someone who isn't built for gymnastics. But still, why take the chance and all, I'm 100% on that side but I am compelled to point that out. Because even doing everything "right" someone who is genetically less suited for gymnastics is going to be more prone to injury than someone who is more suited physiologically and messing around. Mostly because I think that reality is sometimes underappreciated. But still yes, for the love of gymnastics, no preschool head springs.
YG was doing pullovers and getting her head up at 2-3/4 (after 16 months of 45 minutes -90 minutes a week of classes… sometimes, she went 2 classes a week after OG moved up to rec - but only if someone no-showed in the other class). She was doing cast back hip circles before she was 4 and at almost 4, she climbed to the top of the rope and "sat there" until HC made her come down by threatening to never let her climb it again. (She climbed it… at the request of a coach… to show one of the older classes that it was possible to go higher that 4 feet off the ground, even if they were short - because she was shorter).
The only thing this girl does WELL that YG couldn't was the straddle press handstand. But, in 1 week, this girl goes more than our TEAM does in 2 weeks!

YG was doing pullovers and getting her head up at 2-3/4 (after 16 months of 45 minutes -90 minutes a week of classes… sometimes, she went 2 classes a week after OG moved up to rec - but only if someone no-showed in the other class). She was doing cast back hip circles before she was 4 and at almost 4, she climbed to the top of the rope and "sat there" until HC made her come down by threatening to never let her climb it again. (She climbed it… at the request of a coach… to show one of the older classes that it was possible to go higher that 4 feet off the ground, even if they were short - because she was shorter).
The only thing this girl does WELL that YG couldn't was the straddle press handstand. But, in 1 week, this girl goes more than our TEAM does in 2 weeks!

So, to clarify, do you think that the skills the child is doing at this age are average?

At her gym, there's been a team since at least 2004 and according to MMS, they have never had a single gymnast score above a 36.875 and have only had 9 gymnasts ever get a 36. Take that as you will.

This little girl is stinkin cute and beyond her years in strength and coordination. However, she is going to be injured before she can reach her potential. 20 hrs per week at 3?!? That's insanity!

Ellen, why must you feed the CGM beast?

I just don't get the point. Sure for a 3 year old she is pretty coordinated, but her form isn't good. So why bother having her chuck BHSswhen she's not even doing them well? Age aside, isn't that just going to cause bad habits?

She's cute. But she's going to end up cute with a back injury. She still has 4 years before she can even compete usag, right? Holy smokes.

So, to clarify, do you think that the skills the child is doing at this age are average?

I haven't seen as much as other parents but if you can use that kind of form to perform a skill ....YES...It's very average to me. I hate to have to compare her to other kids I have seen but it's true... maybe it's the coaching and kids we have at our gym. And they only do 2 days a week 1.5 hrs a day nowhere near 20 hours a week. I can't even put DD in the conversation when she was that age.

I'm glad my DD is with a coach who has experience with gifted and very strong kids.

I read on CB a long time ago and still see it said post after post. If your child is truly gifted there is no need to rush your child to learn skills. So very true.

Not average, but not incredibly above average (except maybe the straddle press... But some gyms focus on them and others don't).
I think that SOME of the skills can be learned at that age if the child is precocious and has lessons. If she is training even 4 hours a week at the gym and mom has her doing stuff at home, some of this could be expected.
I don't consider YG to be incredible or a phenomenon or anything other than a girl that has some natural strength and loves gymnastics.

One thing that actually really disturbed me about the video was Ellen giving her a jar of chocolates that is bigger than she is. What kid needs that? The kisses from daddy was very sweet, how is it even appropriate for Ellen to give her a bigger and even more impressive jar containing hugs from Ellen.

https://instagram.com/p/BCzFkJpn9E7/

At one point I saw this post in Instagram, I did not realise it was the same child. I remember seeing this post and first of all wondering why the coach was teaching a kid with such a lack of body tension a flic in the first place. And then the fact that the coach fails to spot the landing of the flic and laughs when she flies down the hill and lands quite awkwardly, was disturbing. The call was caused by the coaches lack of insight and negligence, then she finds it funny.

The kid next to her doing a back extension roll to handstand with bent arms also speaks volumes about the way the gym works. Instead of developing the roll to front support with correct technique they are just throwing them into skills.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back