WAG Gabby Douglas and Chow split again

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Yes. That is true. My own theory -- and it is just a theory -- is that the money train was slowing down and Gabby needed to raise her profile to keep it coming. Gabby has been supporting her entire family in rather high style since the Olympics. So there is financial pressure.

this is true.

Just curious why the negativity towards Gaby? I only know her as an amazingly impressive Olympian. What did she do to elicit criticism?
Endless bad behavior , towards virtually everyone. Some of it can be attributed to her mother -- the unpaid bills for example. But Gabby is at least in part responsible for much of it, like the accusations about Excalibur. And Gabby is solely responsible for some of it -- ex -- the shabby treatment of Chow in Round One (allowing him to find out she was leaving his gym via the grapevine and only saying a hasty "goodbye" the last day when Chow wasn't even there), the recent catty remark about Jordyn.

The lack of especially good behavior -- I cannot think of one moment in the 2012 Olympics when gabby stands out as offering support to her teammates. She accepts it from others, but does not seem to ever offer it.

The bad behavior is consistent. It goes to character. Her decision not to do anything of any substance after the Olympics (no real training, no continued education) and to simply ride the fame train and play "celebrity" rubbed many people the wrong way, but ultimately gets chalked up (pun intended) to bad judgment and failure to understand that the money train stops running pretty quickly in this sport. But mostly it is the bad behavior towards others -- I do not think there is a bridge that girl has not burned at this point -- that has led to the criticism.

Yes she probably does if she wants to be number one, but I am pretty sure Kyla and her coaches know this. Perhaps her coaches are being smart. Elite gymnastics is becoming more and more difficult and hard on the body. If the next goal is Rio then I can see logic in holding back and ensuring a gymnast can actually make it to the main event in tact. After all they don't give Olympic medals to the girl who peaked mid quad and sits at home in a cast during the Olympics. Don't you think she would be upgrading if she could and/or it was advantageous to the long term plan?
very good point actually.

Endless bad behavior , towards virtually everyone. Some of it can be attributed to her mother -- the unpaid bills for example. But Gabby is at least in part responsible for much of it, like the accusations about Excalibur. And Gabby is solely responsible for some of it -- ex -- the shabby treatment of Chow in Round One (allowing him to find out she was leaving his gym via the grapevine and only saying a hasty "goodbye" the last day when Chow wasn't even there), the recent catty remark about Jordyn.

The lack of especially good behavior -- I cannot think of one moment in the 2012 Olympics when gabby stands out as offering support to her teammates. She accepts it from others, but does not seem to ever offer it.

The bad behavior is consistent. It goes to character. Her decision not to do anything of any substance after the Olympics (no real training, no continued education) and to simply ride the fame train and play "celebrity" rubbed many people the wrong way, but ultimately gets chalked up (pun intended) to bad judgment and failure to understand that the money train stops running pretty quickly in this sport. But mostly it is the bad behavior towards others -- I do not think there is a bridge that girl has not burned at this point -- that has led to the criticism.

expand and see bold. absolutely TRUE.

and it appears that she might be headed to Miles Avery, former Head Coach at Ohio State.

and it appears that she might be headed to Miles Avery, former Head Coach at Ohio State.

Seriously? Of all gyms to head to? This one doesn't even have a large optional program, no less an elite program...

What am I missing? Lack of a better option due to burned bridges and a bad reputation?

He is probably one of the best equipped to handle that whole "situation" and he is an amazing coach (I know him from way way back). I do hope someone lays it all out for her and she learns something out of these bridge burning incidents. She needs to have her eyes opened. WIDE.

I'm sure she had very limited options because gymnastics is a very small world and many don't want all the baggage that comes with her. Miles may not have a large optional program, but he knows how to coach at a very high level. It is a very interesting choice for Gabby, but he may be just what she needs. Not sure that she is what he needs, but knowing him -- gymnastics is only part of what he can offer her. She may learn a lot more about life and how to live it well than anything else.

He is probably one of the best equipped to handle that whole "situation" and he is an amazing coach (I know him from way way back). I do hope someone lays it all out for her and she learns something out of these bridge burning incidents. She needs to have her eyes opened. WIDE.

I'm sure she had very limited options because gymnastics is a very small world and many don't want all the baggage that comes with her. Miles may not have a large optional program, but he knows how to coach at a very high level. It is a very interesting choice for Gabby, but he may be just what she needs. Not sure that she is what he needs, but knowing him -- gymnastics is only part of what he can offer her. She may learn a lot more about life and how to live it well than anything else.

I wasn't really coming at it for a life lessons perspective, as I doubt she will be there long enough to get much out of it. It just reeks of "just another publicity stunt". If she wants people to take her seriously and wants a real shot at a comeback, I just don't feel like this gym is the right choice. But whatever. Maybe I will be proven wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

Off topic from Gabby, but does anyone know anything about Miles Avery's optional camp? Looking for something for DD next summer.

What did she say about Jordyn?
It was during a recent interview. I do not recall her exact words, but in response to a question that had nothing to do with Jordyn Gabby raised the issue of how Jordyn did not qualify for the AA final at the Olympics. She just brought it up gratuitously -- and then couched it in a "jordyn was very disappointed but handled it well" thing.

Jordyn is a terrific gymnast and has moved on apparently to live her life quite well. Not making the AA final at the Olympics was a low point in her gymnastics career and very painful for her. What is a teammate doing bringing it up? It would have been one thing if the question was about Jordyn, but it wasn't.

It was just gratuitous cattiness. Its not Gabby's business to talk about Jordyn Wieber's Olympics. If Gabby needs to keep reliving her own AA gold medal moment that's fine, I do not blame her -- but don't do it at her teammate's expense. It just confirmed what I thought about her.

I wasn't really coming at it for a life lessons perspective, as I doubt she will be there long enough to get much out of it. It just reeks of "just another publicity stunt". If she wants people to take her seriously and wants a real shot at a comeback, I just don't feel like this gym is the right choice. But whatever. Maybe I will be proven wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

I'm pretty sure her options were very limited. Maybe this was the only one?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back