WAG Has anyone moved to get to a better gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

k3mom

Proud Parent
Our daughter is a 12-year-old level 10 gymnast. We completely love the gym where she is currently training and she has been very successful with this gym. Unfortunately, we are afraid that she has outgrown them. They have had some coaching turnover and the coaches that are left, although wonderful people, do not seem to be able to teach the higher level skills. We would have to move several hours away in order to get her to a gym with successful level 10s. Have any of you done that? If so, were you happy you did? It seems crazy to me to uproot our entire lives just so one of our kids can do gymnastics, but she has a passion for it that I have never seen before and frankly, she's really pretty good. Letting her move by herself is simply not an option we are willing to consider. I do not want to move and I am painfully aware that we could make the move and then she could get hurt a week later.... or simply decide she didn't want to do it anymore. On the other side, I want her to feel like we provided her with the opportunity to take gymnastics as far as she wanted and was capable of. (On a side note, both of our other kids would probably not mind moving that much as both of their best friends have just moved away and we would actually be moving closer to both of them). Have any of you been through this? What did you do?

Long time ago we had a family in a similar situation at our gym, loved the gym and the people, but did not feel that the coaching was up to par for their National level daughter. The gym worked with this family and brought in an amazing top level coach. Best thing that could have happened for our gym as well as the athlete. I know this may not be possible, but it is a conversation you could have with the owner.

We are dealing with the same issue. Tried to move this summer but it didn't work out. Daughter is upset that we couldn't make a move but understands that we tried. We also have the same concerns as you do. I feel bad for my DD. If she was an adult she could move on her own but because she is young she is dependent on us. We will waste a another year were we are at and not have much progress and try to move again next spring.

I agree with 1canadiangymmom that you should speak with the owners about it. If they are honest people they will let you know if your daughter needs to move on to somewhere else. If they are not….at least you let them know the issue.

How recent was the turnover? What does your daughter think about leaving?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back