HELP! beam problem!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gymnasticsfreak

to get to the level i want to be in, i havbe to have at least a back handspring-back handspring on a FIG beam. The problem is, i'm very scared top go for it.Every time i'm on beam my coach makes me work on it until beam's over, witch is an hour, but every tome i fell like my hands are gonna miss the beam, so i don't go for it. Every day I dread going to beam. And my coach gets very frustrated and angry because I have done it before.

Any advice for how to get out of this situation??????
PLEASE HELP!!!!!:(

Can you do other seires or is your coach making you do bhs bhs??? What are the requirments for your beam???? Because level 8 usag you can do bwo bhs,bhs bwo,cartwheel round off. Are you requirements 2 flight skills. Once I know I might be able to help you more.

With beam skills, my answer is always the same, regardless of what the skill is!

1) Do hundreds on a floor line/soft beam
2) Mat the beam, right up and put a pad over the top
3) Take one mat out from under the beam at a time.
4) When there are no mats left undnerneath the beam, it is time to take the pad off and put all the mats back in.
5) Take one mat out at a time!

At every stage, repeat the skill/series until you are 100% confident, right to the point where you don't even think about what you are doing.

I hold a firm belief that there is no rushing any skill on beam, if you want to be able to go to competition feeling as confident as possible

(obviously there are noo guarantees on beam, but if you feel confident it makes all the difference!)

HOWEVER, having said all that, if it isn't a possibility for you, try to find somewhere safe to practice the series over and over again on a line on a floor. Also try to visualise yourself doing it perfectly over and over again.

I'd speak to your coach and explain your fears, ask her whether you can step back a stage and pad up the beam. I'm sure she'd prefer you to do this and get the series quicker than spend every session worrying over it!

Good Luck!

thanks for the advice.it would be very helpfull exept that my coach does not lett us put more than 2 mats under the beam.but thanks anyway.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back