help with freehips & casthandstands.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

B

bswagger

So im a level 8, but i have about a level 6 bars. i've been trying to get a cast handstand for 3 years. (way longer then what it should take.!) but i just cant seem to do it. my coach has me doing straddle ups, so what are some good drills i can do at home, or open gym (by myself) to help me get it.
-as an fyi i can do the floor bar ones where you have ankle weights and you jump up to a handstand, then you do less and less of a jump. i can do those with no problem.
-another problem i have , is (this is my opinion of my cast..) i can't get my but over my head enough to where i'd be able to get to handstand.. and i try to lean my sholders over to help with that, but as soon as i start to cast i push them straight back.

my free hips - i know your not supposed to/ allowed to touch your thighs/ hips to the bars, but that was how i was taught like 5 years ago, when first learned it..
so now i can only do a baby baby baby free hip without touching my hips.
-another problem for me is that i don't shoot out at the right time. like i know WHEN im supposed to, but when im doing the skill i guess my timming is off? bc i feel for when im upside down, but that makes its late? i guess i just dont comprehend when im supposed to shoot out when im actuallydoing the skill.
so any drills for freehips would be lovely.

oh i also SUCK at back extension rolls.. and i know thats a common drill for free hips..

I had problems with getting my cast to handstand too for a while, but then one day I just leaned over really far and bailed all the way over. The next turn I figured out how to cast to handstand. So I'd definitely say that you should lean over as far as you can go with out falling over. Also, you don't get a deduction for arching as long as you hollow at the top, so if you need to arch on the way up, just make sure to hollow before you finish to avoid deductions.

And for clear hips, I also had a ton of problems with that too. I was too scared to go fast, so I had no clear hip at all. What I would say you should definitely do is lean back really far and then just fall as fast as you can. So if necessary you should have your coach spot you on a couple turns with him just pushing your chest back so you go fast. And as soon as you feel yourself upside down then you throw your arms above your head like a back extension. In fact, they are very similar. Oh, I just realized that you said that you suck at back extension rolls... but so do I :) But just lift your arms up as fast as you can. You will either go directly to handstand, or a little before or after. I'd suggest lots of condition lifting a bar above your head with straight arms. It helps a lot.

I hope this helps!

-GCG

So im a level 8, but i have about a level 6 bars. i've been trying to get a cast handstand for 3 years. (way longer then what it should take.!) but i just cant seem to do it. my coach has me doing straddle ups, so what are some good drills i can do at home, or open gym (by myself) to help me get it.

oh i also SUCK at back extension rolls.. and i know thats a common drill for free hips..

I'd really work on the back extension roll as one of your drills. The timing of the shoulder angle changes is very important.
Freehips are all a matter of timing and angles. If you are letting your hips touch the bar, the chances are you will not get higher than horizontal without a lot of extra strength effort. It can be done but it's harder. Here's what I see as a step by step for the free hip hand.

1. Cast as big as you can control. A higher cast makes the free hip easier assuming you can control the drop
2. While lowering your legs toward the bar drop your shoulders back while keeping your head in. Don't allow your legs to hit the bar
3. when you hit a candle stick shape, open your shoulders and push your toes to the ceiling.

I know this is a bit over simplified and there is a lot more involved (i.e. hand and wrist rotation) but that's basically it. Lowering your legs instead of hips toward the bars will make the angle of the free hip higher. The lower you put the bar, the closer to handstand you'll get without muscling it.

i have already posted some useful and effective drills for these skills. maybe someone can find them and post them here. i can't seem to find them.

than you bog!

and for clear hips: practice doing them 3 in a row. try to open a little more and a little higher when you come around the bar on 2 & 3. just keep doing them in sets of 3 in a row.

in the beginning it will appear frustrating. in the end, and in just a couple of weeks, you will post that you "get it" and they are improving.

and by the way, this is something you can pratice without any coaching. like at open gyms. you'll figure it out. and sometimes coaches can't solve all problems. sometimes you have to be left alone to sort it out. this could be one of those times.

Last edited by a moderator:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back