Parents How old is your DD/DS and what level?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

9 yo DD on level 3 (will be turn 10 in May). Got her kip a couple of months ago and on track to move up to level 4 after States. This is her second year competing - did Xcel Bronze last year.

Don't you have to be at least 7 years old to even test or participate in the TOPS program? Or was the reference to your participation in TOPS solely in your gym and not in the USAG supported program? I know two years ago they didn't test 6 year olds.

Age is as of December 31st of the year they test. So while the OP DD is 8 right now, she will most likely turn 9 by Dec. 31st and therefore, 2 years ago she could have tested as a 7 year old. Or she may have just trained for TOPS testing in her gym.

11 year old level 9. She was level 5 at age 8, level 6 age 9, did 1 meet level 7, age 10 level 8 and here we are age 11 level 9 .

She had an ankle fracture this year , in the process of coming back right now and it's been rough . All of the sudden she is afraid of the overshoot :(

My DD is 6 months old- she is training Level 10 skills ;)

Thank you! As the mom of a dd who didn't take her first gymnastics class until age 9 (L4 at 10, L5 at 11, new L5 at 12), I was avoiding this thread like the plague. Clicked on it by mistake, and was glad to see some humor instead of just the usual mine's-the-youngest-and-highest-level talk. Made my morning! The baby yoga video on the other hand... a bit scary.

Clicked on it by mistake, and was glad to see some humor instead of just the usual mine's-the-youngest-and-highest-level talk.

Yeah, these threads are never started by moms saying "I have a 17 year old L4"!

I do have a question though. Several people said their child is an L-whatever, training L-whatever. Is that what you put if you compete in the fall only? I started to wonder because it seems to me that everyone is training up for the next level. When someone asks me, I say my kid is an L7 but I never say she is an L7/training L8 and L9. I just assume that an L5 is training for optionals and an L8 is training for L9 (and L10 for that matter). But for kids who train in the fall, I'm assuming they competed "L3" and are training L4 but not yet competing it. Does that sound right??? We compete November through March for compulsories so it is an unknown situation for me to have just fall compulsories.

I do have a question though. Several people said their child is an L-whatever, training L-whatever. Is that what you put if you compete in the fall only? I started to wonder because it seems to me that everyone is training up for the next level. When someone asks me, I say my kid is an L7 but I never say she is an L7/training L8 and L9. I just assume that an L5 is training for optionals and an L8 is training for L9 (and L10 for that matter). But for kids who train in the fall, I'm assuming they competed "L3" and are training L4 but not yet competing it. Does that sound right??? We compete November through March for compulsories so it is an unknown situation for me to have just fall compulsories.
I would say it in the off season. Like over last summer, I would say, "my daughter is training level 8" because even though she was TRAINING level 8, there was no guarantee that she would COMPETE level 8 (she is, though I suspect she probably shouldn't be, but that's neither here nor there). But yes, during the season, I would just say, "My daughter is a level (insert level here)." Of course, she continues to TRAIN higher level skills, but really, isn't that assumed? If asked this summer, I will just say that she is a level 8, because she is competing 8 this year and will, barring some sort of major miracle, be a level 8 again next year.

I mentally translate it to

"Suzie competes level 4 because her coaches put her there but I know she is much better than that and already has her layout on floor. For some unknown reason they wont put my Suzie in Level 6. Okay she can't back handspring on beam - or giant but I KNOW she is a lot better than level 4"

But then I'm a cynic.

I also do understand being proud of their accomplishments but I have fought the inner CGM demons and try hard not to get ahead of what she is really doing. That's not to say I don't hear the inner voices egging me on ............:(:rolleyes:

=
The rule in our gym is you are not a Level --- until you compete all 4 events at that level. For instance, last week we had a child at her first level 7 meet, we ended up scratching her on bars because she was freaking out in warm ups and couldn't make it past the cast on the highbar... So.... she is not a level 7 yet.

I would say it in the off season. Like over last summer, I would say, "my daughter is training level 8" because even though she was TRAINING level 8, there was no guarantee that she would COMPETE level 8 (she is, though I suspect she probably shouldn't be, but that's neither here nor there).

That's what I think. Right now my DD is L3, but after states in April they'll start training for L4, but we won't know until the end of August if she'll be L3 or L4 next season, so "training for L4" would make sense to me. And there are many here who competes the fall season, so they are currently in that "training" stage.

Yeah, I would only saying "training level xx" during the off season if I wasn't sure what level she'd be the following year.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back