WAG I want to go on vacation!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MaryRS,

When you look at the pictures you wish he was there with you. What does he think about the missed vacations?

I still think that it can be very positive for the family to take vacations with different groups of siblings. If oldest dd stays with a friend, youngest sibs can get closer with each other or with you. Changing the family dynamics can be good for everyone.

My DD is only 12, training for her first Level 9 meet second week in December. At this time of the year, they are making every practice count. Each week she has a plan for progressing the 2 skills she still needs to get. She would NOT agree to a vacation now. During the summer, gym closes for 2 weeks (1 at the beginning of July, then Aug). They condition during these weeks to stay in shape but it is months before meet season. At this time of year, they are counting weeks to skills testing day. If my child were so committed to something that she would be miserable if you took her away, I'd find a trusted family or friend that she could stay with.

I know your DD is 14, but as soon as I turned 16 I wasn't vacationing with my family all the time because I worked. I stayed home for weekend ski trips, I would meet them on for the weekend during the summer if they were vacationing locally, etc. I actually think your DD is being very realistic and mature about her concerns. She has worked very hard to get to Level 10. I know it is a hard decision as a parent, but it really is ok to go without her if she is ok with it. If you were to say, sorry honey you can't come because you need to train....that's a different story.

i wish people would not compare apples and oranges. the only other sport comparable to ours is diving, and they have the same concerns.

swimming>1 week off>they don't drown.

baseball>1 week off>maybe they strike out

football>1 week off>they drop the ball

soccer>1 week off>they miss a pass

gymnastics>level 10>1 week off>3 to 4 weeks to get back>splats on face several times>gets bit on beam>lands short on double backs>goes on high for yurchenkos>bends arms on bars>and the list goes on and on>:)

He tells us it wouldn't have made a difference and he should have gone. I get sad, I don't think he gets sad, but he does say that he would make his kid go. Of course he says that now, who knows what he would really do. He still loves soccer, he still is playing, so it's not like he has quit the sport and moved on. The funny thing is, his level of seriousness didn't really hit until highschool and it was more gradual compared to what I see today with the sport. The teams out there today are crazy, there is this sense of urgency of how it has to be done etc., and it makes me a little crazy.

I think I just personally have some resentment that sports has ruled our lives to some degree. It's not huge, I will survive lol - just if I had to do it all over again, would have made some different choices, and I am with my other son. I'm a whole lot more less tolerant when it comes to acquiescing to kids based on how unhappy or happy they will be. I'm not sure if it's good or bad, maybe I'm just grumpier in my old age lol. In all seriousness we do try to be mindful of important times, it's just we can't account for everything, it's impossible. If it's a weekend down the shore and there is a game, we would probably let him play the game and stay with a friend. If it's a cruise that the entire family is going, it really would have to be something big for me to change my mind.

MaryRS,

When you look at the pictures you wish he was there with you. What does he think about the missed vacations?

I still think that it can be very positive for the family to take vacations with different groups of siblings. If oldest dd stays with a friend, youngest sibs can get closer with each other or with you. Changing the family dynamics can be good for everyone.

I get what you are saying, but you said yourself they could just sit out the first meet. Obviously a 14 year old is not going to want to do that, but it doesn't sound like it is going to make or break them as a gymnast. Training in other sports is very important too, I'm sure many baseball, swimming and soccer coaches are just as unhappy about their athletes missing as are gymnastic coaches. A highschool athlete who is on the path to playing in college with possible scholarship money is just as serious as a level 10 gymnast IMO. ;)
i wish people would not compare apples and oranges. the only other sport comparable to ours is diving, and they have the same concerns.

swimming>1 week off>they don't drown.

baseball>1 week off>maybe they strike out

football>1 week off>they drop the ball

soccer>1 week off>they miss a pass

gymnastics>level 10>1 week off>3 to 4 weeks to get back>splats on face several times>gets bit on beam>lands short on double backs>goes on high for yurchenkos>bends arms on bars>and the list goes on and on>:)

Soccer is nothing like gymnastics. If you miss a week of soccer practice, maybe you breath a bit harder or maybe run a bit slower, if you miss a week of high level gymnastics and come back trying to do things too fast, you could have one bad landing and it's all over. It's hard to explain to someone who hasn't been there.

Let her stay home, it won't be a big deal to her, it's a bigger deal to you (which is normal as kids grow up). If she is 14 and still in the sport, and has made it all the way to Level 10, be happy that this is the biggest stress in her life! Be glad that she wants to stay so committed to something! Too many talented kids at 14 think that the grass is greener to do something like cheerleading, or worse yet quit to do NOTHING. Be happy that she wants to be such a hard worker, that work ethic will serve her well in life!

Soccer is nothing like gymnastics. If you miss a week of soccer practice, maybe you breath a bit harder or maybe run a bit slower
Actually, you lose your touch on the ball, in dribbling, passing and shooting. You'll miss moves by a hair, causing you to slow down and get stripped. Your pass won't go quite where you wanted it to. It's annoying, but by the end of the first week back, you won't know you were gone. If you're out longer than a week, it will take longer to get the precision back.

Actually, you lose your touch on the ball, in dribbling, passing and shooting. You'll miss moves by a hair, causing you to slow down and get stripped. Your pass won't go quite where you wanted it to. It's annoying, but by the end of the first week back, you won't know you were gone. If you're out longer than a week, it will take longer to get the precision back.

OK, maybe true....however, you could take a soccer ball (even on a cruise ship) and keep up with a little footwork each day.

With gymnastics, if you "miss by a hair", you could end up with a devastating injury :(

Gymnastics aside (sort of), I think your DD would be fine once she got on the cruise and not totally miserable. I could be wrong, but throw all the fun that's to be had on a cruise ship along with beach time and fun sightseeing and I don't think they can stay miserable long. That's not to say she won't be miserable when she gets back... But once again, I think you should run it past her coaches. They know where DD is as far as progress and being ready for the first meet, they also know how long it takes her to get back after being away, so they would be your best resource.

I realize they are different. But if your child the same age is playing at a certain level and facing the same circumstances, the child and the soccer coach basically feel like the gymnast and the gymnastic coach. Who am I or anyone else to tell that athlete they are wrong. Try telling the coach that missing a week right before a big match or tournament doesn't make a big difference. I'm not doubting that missing a week of gymnastics at level 10 is a huge deal - I do get it. Heck, I see my 12 year old level 7 when she misses how off she is when she comes back from vacation. All I am saying is that in the "long run" it won't make a huge difference.

I was just trying to offer a different perspective. Will she be set back? Probably. Will she have to miss out on her first level 10 meet? That is quite possible. There is just so much to consider. She could very well end up having an amazing time on vacation and feel that is all worth it. My feeling is that a year from now, two years from now, this one vacation isn't going to have much, if any impact on where she is in gymnastics at that time.
Soccer is nothing like gymnastics. If you miss a week of soccer practice, maybe you breath a bit harder or maybe run a bit slower, if you miss a week of high level gymnastics and come back trying to do things too fast, you could have one bad landing and it's all over. It's hard to explain to someone who hasn't been there.

Let her stay home, it won't be a big deal to her, it's a bigger deal to you (which is normal as kids grow up). If she is 14 and still in the sport, and has made it all the way to Level 10, be happy that this is the biggest stress in her life! Be glad that she wants to stay so committed to something! Too many talented kids at 14 think that the grass is greener to do something like cheerleading, or worse yet quit to do NOTHING. Be happy that she wants to be such a hard worker, that work ethic will serve her well in life!

I don't post often, but I thought I'd respond to this one. Many years ago, I was in your daughter's position. I, on a few occasions, did miss a family vacation in order to stay home and train. Although I'm not sure how much I showed it back then, I always appreciated how my parents respected my sport and what it took to perform at that level. I know they would have preferred to have me with them on vacation, but honestly, after over 20 years, I don't believe anyone looks back with regret. We have plenty of memories we shared as a family during my gymnastics career. And I also have very fond memories of the places I traveled for gymnastics without my family. Although gymnastics may seem very consuming now, in the grand scheme of things it's only a small portion of her life. Let her have it while she can. Have her stay back with someone who can get her to the gym while you're gone and enjoy your vacation knowing that she appreciates your understanding.

Gymnastics aside (sort of), I think your DD would be fine once she got on the cruise and not totally miserable. I could be wrong, but throw all the fun that's to be had on a cruise ship along with beach time and fun sightseeing and I don't think they can stay miserable long.

My dear coach Molly......You left out one other perq for this young lady while imprisoned on a cruise......Boys! Lots and lots of boys her own age, and her with so much spare time on her hands.....whatever will she do to pass the time.

Possibly, by the time the family gets back from vaycay, gymnastics will be the last thing on this girls mind. Heck, she may even want to cut back on her training to dedicate more time at school with bo...err, I mean her studies....yeah that's it, that's what I meant....studies.

Well, assuming you are in or near the U.S., those aren't gonna be boys they are going to be grandpas! Few families in the US take vacations in September. Even most friends I have who home school start an official school year at home in Sept. My daughter is nowhere near a level 10 gymnast, but I would never take her out of school, gymnastics, and her other activies for a vacation in September or October, as most parents wouldn't (not saying that's the right decision for you, just for my family). I am still trying to my daughter back in the study groove after her "fabulous" summer. Boys? Not around here anyway. A couple of years ago I was at a conference in September and did a touristy activity with colleague, out of 50 people there, we and two others were by far the youngest. And I ain't no spring chicken. I think it's mostly retirees taking advantage of savings in September. Those boys on the cruise may be a little stiff in the knees and long in the tooth....

they do. and all of the high level gyms that i am aware of never close like you have described. i am aware that gyms close a week at the end of summer. 2 weeks at Christmas. etc; but most that i am aware of do not close for team practice.:)

You confuse me because I don't understand your comment about closing like I have described. My description was the week leading into Labor Day. The gym closes a week, but when you add in the weekends and we added the Friday before and then there is labor Day Monday, it totalled 13 days. The time I described in November is not a gym closure, but time parents have chosen to vacation. Not that it really matters, but my dd's gym closes just like any other gyms, the last week in Aug and the last week in June - that's it.

Don't make your daughter choose. She has to miss so much already for this sport. Take a real family vacation with your whole family at a time when everyone can attend without stressing. If you go without her you will be miserable. If she goes, she will be miserable. It is just not worth the savings to do a vacation at this time of year.

I totally agree with this. It sounds like you haven't booked it yet. I would choose a time that will work for all family members so that you can have a family vacation that includes the whole family. If you absolutely cannot do this, then I would agree with seeing if she can stay with a trusted teammate and/or friend.

If she were a level 4 or 5 my answer would be different, but level 10 is tough and requires full committment to be successful.

Good luck!

From what I'm reading, this is a SAFETY concern at least as much as it is a performance/career concern. We are talking about a 14 year old, first year L10. If she takes a week off, she is risking injury, not just poor performance or not getting skills fast enough. At this stage of her career, an injury at the beginning of meet season could really be devastating (to the season, her future, possible college schol, etc... right?). I don't think there are any other sports like this. You might not play soccer as well for a few weeks, or your team might lose without you there, but you are not at higher risk for a major injury.

That being said, we as homeschoolers have always taken our vacations in September and October (less money, less crowds, etc) and have been planning a special trip for next week for years. My dd is an 11 year old, second year level 5, so the stakes are nowhere near the same. Still, we changed the trip from late October to late September so there is a lot more time before the first meet when we get back. But again, I DO think her level makes a huge difference. A lot more is at stake with the OP, and the skills she's performing are a lot more dangerous.

Add that to the fact that she herself would rather work hard at achieving a lofty but doable goal than go on vacation. I'm not sure that sort of work ethic should be discouraged!

they do. and all of the high level gyms that i am aware of never close like you have described. i am aware that gyms close a week at the end of summer. 2 weeks at Christmas. etc; but most that i am aware of do not close for team practice.:)[/QUOTE]

We were at a "National Team Training Center" and they closed (completely) for 7-10 days in July or August...it usually coincided with them taking their athletes to VISAs (so those girls worked out) but the rest of the team was on vacation...

t sounds like you haven't booked it yet. I would choose a time that will work for all family members so that you can have a family vacation that includes the whole family.

Gosh, if it hasn't even been booked yet, this seems like a no-brainer to me. It seems very disrespectful to your dd to plan a vacation specifically at a time which will affect her goals so deeply. Any way you can do it after Nationals?

My dear coach Molly......You left out one other perq for this young lady while imprisoned on a cruise......Boys! Lots and lots of boys her own age, and her with so much spare time on her hands.....whatever will she do to pass the time.

Possibly, by the time the family gets back from vaycay, gymnastics will be the last thing on this girls mind. Heck, she may even want to cut back on her training to dedicate more time at school with bo...err, I mean her studies....yeah that's it, that's what I meant....studies.
Can't say I was thinking about that, but I guess that just goes to prove that my HS gymnasts are right in assuming I am the epitome of uncool :rolleyes:. I was just trying to take another angle because I feel like Lucy's Mom is getting slammed on here and I felt bad for her. And I do think it is a bit of a stretch to say her DD will be miserable the entire cruise as part of the argument. All the gym related points are spot on as far as I'm concerned.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back