Parents Just inquisitive !!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Libby's gym mom

Proud Parent
Hi, my dd had just turned 7 and is already at squad status but unable to compete till next April . I'm very proud and always being told she is very talented by family and friends ! I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what she should be achieving ? On different equipment . I know there isn't a set rule on this but would just like some feedback x

I was confused for a minute. Didn't realize you were not in the US. Since I'm in the US I'm probably not the best person to respond but I'll tell you what my 7 year old DD is doing as a level 3 in the US (in the US you CAN compete level 3 as a 6 year old) a lot of the terminology may not be the same though.

Floor
Round off Back handspring (I've seen it called a "flick")
Handstand forward roll
Handstand to bridge, kick back over

Bars
Pullover on bars (learning a kip)
Mill or Stride circle
Front hip circle
Shoot through
Leg cut
Back hip circle, under shoot dismount

Beam
Cross Handstand
Side handstand

I think my DD is a decent little gymnast but she is not a top performer in her group. So there are girls at her gym that are her age or at least close that are further along then she is.

Grade 14 is, if you like the lowest level of competitive gymnastics in the UK.

You might want to take a look on the UK forum at this thread

http://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/t...ctions-and-all-about-gb-wag-programmes.40984/

It helps explain the complexities of the uk system and its 3 streams.

She will most likely be doing Grade 14 in April, and then depending on your region other county and invitational competitions.

Good luck on this crazy ride.

'Margo

Grade 14 is the first regional grade, which you can compete the year you turn 8. As Margo said there is a detailed thread setting out the three streams of British Gymnastics - regional grades, national grades and compulsory levels, which you can look at if you want to, but it takes a bit of digesting if you're just starting out.

If you search grade 14 gymnastics on youtube you'll see a load of videos showing the skills your daughter will be competing if she does grade 14. They haven't changed in a few years and they're not difficult so will ease her into competing and give the coaches plenty of chance to focus on good basics and the details like pointy toes and straight legs.

I think you said you're in the West Midlands, so if you search for grade 14 west midlands on youtube it might even bring up some routines from the same regional competition this year or last year, so you can see the venue and how it will all look.

Good luck, welcome to the world of competitive gymnastics. Most of the time is fun and exciting and if it gets bumpy you can always come on here and know that you aren't alone.

To get the best idea google you tube videos of grade 14, uK gymnastics - there's loads on there for the different apparatus.

Yes , she already is learning all routines for this grade and we follow our club to competitions when possible , so Libby is fully aware of the whole set up but thanks for the links girls . I have complete brain mush with it all ATM and learning all the ins and outs slowly lol
I can talk to her trainers easily about any worries but worry that sometimes she may not be performing as well as other group members , all be it she is the youngest in the whole squad !

Hi, I'm also west mids based.
The others have explained grade 14, so I'll go on to say that probably your dd will go on to do level 5 in September/October next year and for that she will roughly need:

Floor - handstand forward roll, cartwheel, roundoff back flip, full spin, split leap - cat leap, tuck jump (skills can vary but these are the most common we see. The backflip is only required for a bonus.) no somersaults are allowed.

Vault - handspring onto 60cm, fall flat to stomach

Bars - upstart (kip), cast to horizontal or above, back hip circle, squat on to catch high bar, long upstart, straddle undershoot (again the upstart is for a bonus so many gymnasts do upward circle)

Beam - a mount (usually squat on) cartwheel, backward walkover, split leap or jump, stretch jump, cat leap half spin, a dismount. Usually roundoff or cartwheel tuck back somersault. Gymnasts are also allowed to backflip on the beam.

In this region gymnasts who score 42.00 or above at level 5 have to move to the next level the following year. If a gymnast doesn't score 42 she can still move on at the coaches discretion.

Having said all of that, however, for now just sit back and enjoy the ride! You will hear the expression 'gymnastics is a marathon, not a sprint' and even if it seems she might or might not be getting the skills she 'needs', it doesn't always matter. Best thing to do is have good communication with the coaches as they will have long term plans for her!

Omg will you be my new best friend lol how informative . We have just been practising upstarts on her swing frame in the garden ! She's 3/4 way there just needs support to get up to straight arms !!

Sounds like she's doing just fine. I'd recommend not having her work on kips at home. It's really all about technique, and if she practices with poor technique, it will slow her down.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back