leotard life

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

W

westham123

how much life do you get out of a leotard?
how much wearing time and the number of washes?
i have some lovely leos which i do not want to ever wear out, i am trying to hang back from washing them too much to make them last longer

hi, i think a typical leotard would last 1-3 years depending on the fabric, quality and price but washing your Leo does not make a big difference to the life of it. A lot of leotards have tags with washing instructions. A lot of my Leo's say hand wash only so....
hope i helped!
Jess :)

my gk leotards have very funny instructions, i am scared to put them in the tumble drier, i wash my other leos hand wash and then hang them on the line to dry

I wash my dd leotards by hand, carefully squeeze the water out and hang on hangers to dry - making sure the front and back fabrics are separated and that the leotards dont touch each other (to stop colour transfer). I think the gentler you are with them the longer they will last. So dont scrub or rub at them (sort of swish about lol) and dont have the water very hot or use biological washing powder. Go for a handwash liquid for silk or wool. Don't leave them to soak either. Quick in, 5 mins swish and quick out. Rinse well with cool water.

If you cant be bothered to do this (I just do them once a week and hang them on the shower rail) then machine wash your general ones and save the special treatment for your special ones. The foil ones are the hardest to keep in good condition especially under the arms where they rub. Velvet seems the easiest.

I usually tumble dry DDs GK leos on cool setting as recommended on the label, especially her foil/diamante ones and they look good as new after 6-10 washes. I think if you delay washing the leos then the sweat, chalk and dirt can damage the fabric more.

I would never use a dryer on a leo. I am sure it's possible but I don't see why to take the risk. Actually I dry almost all of our knits on a drying rack anyway and it's easy enough to put the swimsuits and leos on the rack.

I have a fast-growing daughter, and I've never had the good brand leos ever wear out. In fact if she splits a seam I will repair it before I sell the leo (which has apparently gotten too tight for DD if she's splitting seams). Stones may come and stones may go but when they're gone the leo can still look good (or you get new stones).

I have been tumble drying DD's leos for the past 2 years with no issues (the GK labels say you must tumble dry not hang - and I'm too scared to do otherwise!!).

I just tumble dry with no heat at all (on the "air" setting on my dryer). No shrinking or anything bad has happened.

I couldn't tell you about other brands though.

Most of DD leos are GK. I wash them separately. I wash them inside-out, cold water, delicate cycle with Woolite or other mild detergent. I tumble them on low heat setting for about 10-20 minutes, depending on the number. I try to take them out right away or they look all wrinkled until she puts them on and it stretches out. Her leos have always lasted until we have passed them down. One of the ones she has passed down is on it's 4th year and we still see it being worn!

I'll admit it--I don't do anything special with the girls' leos--even the GK ones. They get washed inside out with the rest of the clothes and tossed in the dryer as well. And I've never had a problem. Most leos go through Sami, then get passed down to Beth, who uses them herself for several years before we give them to the used leo sale through our booster club--still looking great.

I'm with Cathiann. Our leos go into the wash preferably inside out and into the dryer with all the other laundry. Most are GK or Jillybeans or Jagwear and no issues with them looking worn.

Mine go both in the wash and the dryer, just follow the instructions. One thing I think helps is to rinse them out when you get home, b/c I have enough leo's that I don't wash them immediately-it would be an enormous waste of money! And two of them lost a lot of color from sweat and chalk, so the others that are sparkly I rinse when I get home, and then they go into the wash once a week or so

Leos are sturdy things... I got velvet one out of a used store 6-7 years ago. It is a GK but was stretched out and the logo was an iron on not stitched, but it is undoubtedly the most comfortable leo I have ever owned. I still wear it all the time and the fact that I got it 6 years ago used and it's still in one piece says a lot.

Most of DD leos are GK. I wash them separately. I wash them inside-out, cold water, delicate cycle with Woolite or other mild detergent. I tumble them on low heat setting for about 10-20 minutes, depending on the number. I try to take them out right away or they look all wrinkled until she puts them on and it stretches out. Her leos have always lasted until we have passed them down. One of the ones she has passed down is on it's 4th year and we still see it being worn!

Ditto!!!:)

However, any competition leo gets washed by hand, in a sink full of water, inside out. I rinse it well and lay it flat to dry.

i usually get 4 years per leo but thats because i never grow!!!
:sad:

My daughter has been doing gymnastics for over 10 years and I have always thrown her leos (GK, Satara, K-bee, Motionwear, alpha factor) in the washing machine inside out. I dry them by hanging them by a clip in my laundry room.

:)

ok, i guess i will either tumble dry my leos with some fleeces which are warm dry too or maybe just wash and hang them with my dance leotards, this is what i have been doing

Count me in with the ones that don't do anything special. Into the washer and dryer as well. My girls outgrow them before they get worn out. A few times they will get a hole in the seam which is quickly repaired. That is usually only with the lycra ones.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back