Coaches Level 7 afraid of giants - struggling on bars

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have an "older" Level 7 (freshman in high school) that has struggled for several years now on giants on bars. Meanwhile her skills on the other events continue to accelerate. She has phenomenal tumbling on floor (double fulls, front layouts, double backs into pit and on tumble track, triple full into pit, etc.); she is starting to work yurchenkos & tsuks on vault with good success; working level 8 skills on beam) - at this point should this athlete think about specializing in certain events and compete those events where she will be able to compete Level 9 by next year - or keep her in Level 7 and run the risk of having her quit because of this one event (she has already stated if she doesn't get her bar skills and can't specialize then she will quit). Would love to hear others thoughts on this?

LP

What is the problem with the giants? Mostly fear? Can she do a clear hip handstand and cast handstand? I'd give it another year depending on what else she can do on bars (it's good physical conditioning anyway), and if she wasn't doing giants and other basic bar skills by her sophomore year, but has the tumbling described and still wants to do gymnastics, then it would seem like a potentially wise choice to me. If she can continue to advance to even the basic routines for the target level she wants to compete (i.e. achieve about an 8.5 score) then at least through level 8 I'd probably recommend doing the regular all around competition. It's hard to say without seeing the gymnast and where she is/what the problem is with giants and bars in general.

Fear for her is a huge factor. Her clear hips are OK. They have gone backwards rather than improving, and she also is afraid to cast up to full handstand. She has no fear throwing any type of tumbling skill, but she continues to struggle tremendously with fear on bars. She definitely has the strength for bars, but just can't seem to get over this block, which has been going on now for 2-3 years. Thanks for the advice!

Maybe offer her a break from giants but keep working bars?

I would imagine that her issues with clear hips getting worse is an effect of her issues with giants (believe me, I went from tsuking, to not doing half ons, to not vaulting over the table at all - not fun). So maybe plan on competing Level 7 or even 8 without giants and just take the hit? If she can get the clear hip to handstand, more or less and has a solid cast handstand (can she pirouette?) that should work. And sometimes taking a clear break from a skill will make it easier mentally and may help her get over it.

So, I, too, would suggest keeping her in the All Around for now and just work around giants for now. Are giants even an explicit requirement any of the levels? And L8 in particular? Or is it just the angles that she needs to hit but could replace with a clear hip?

Is this a training group issue, or a competing issue? If it is a training group issue, wherever she fits best. If it's easier to modify the level 7 workouts for her, keep her there. If it will be easier to modify the level 8 or 9 workouts, move her. I don't see why she shouldn't continue to work bars, including giants and other skills - something like a shoot to high bar that can be fun and not scary so she can feel success on bars. Then when the time comes to compete, see where she's at, and then make the decision of where she competes and whether it's 3 or 4 events. She is old enough and you will know if she's mature enough to discuss that with you and make a joint decision.
Basically, I would keep her training bars, but not necessarily competing them.

The exact same thing happened to me but with a different skill. It also happened to one of my athletes too. As a coach and a gymnast, I worked around the skill for awhile and did TONS of a drills for it and BAZINGA! I did it! And so did she!

P.S I personally wouldn't have her working giants if she can't do a full handstand on bars yet anyways. My best bet is that since she's too scared to do a cast handstand and there is a handstand in giants, her real fear is a handstand on bars. Just a guess.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back