making your own mat

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

B

Bella's Mom

We acquired two "twin" sized memory foam type mats that were used as a mattress. Each one is probably 5 inches thick. Right now, Bella is using each one as a mat for her low beam.

We have animals so unless I cover them, then are going to get nasty with hair and going to do so pretty quickly. In a pinch, I guess I can use a bed sheet.

But what I would like to do is cover it with vinyl type material that would wipe clean much like a landing mat would. What do you all think about that? And what kind of adhesive would I use? Would I glue the vinyl to the foam so only one side was covered or would I wrap the vinyl around the foam like a christmas present?

Yes--I agree with the duct tape :). My dd has become very fond of duct tape and loves making wallets, belts, luggae tags, and even roses out of it!!!

We have a Hobby Lobby in town that has a fabric section in the store.

They have huge bolts of upholstery fabric. Not just the regular material type bolts but gargantuan sized bolts. In that same area with the upholstery they sell outdoor picnic tablecloth material (in different colors or designs) from the bolt. So that you can purchase wide yards of it.

The outdoor tablecloth material can easily wiped and cleaned and still flexible enough to have the sides stitched into a permanent cover for the mat.

You may be able to find that at your local Hobby Lobby or crafts store.

Last edited:
I would buy some of those inexpensive outdoor tablecloths from the dollar store and stitch them together to create a cover. Once you put the mattress inside you could hand stitch the opening closed or add some velco (sew or glue it on) to close it.

I would buy some of those inexpensive outdoor tablecloths from the dollar store and stitch them together to create a cover. Once you put the mattress inside you could hand stitch the opening closed or add some velco (sew or glue it on) to close it.

LOL...yeah, you're attritubuting to me a skill which I'm not even close to being capable of!!!! Sewing???? I MIGHT be able to do a button on a shirt but not much else!

They have huge bolts of upholstery fabric. Not just the regular material type bolts but gargantuan sized bolts. In that same area with the upholstery they sell outdoor picnic tablecloth material (in different colors or designs) from the bolt. So that you can purchase wide yards of it.

I think this is going to meet my size requirements. I'd forgotten about these giant bolts so thanks for reminding me of them.

Still unsure how to actually get the fabric on the foam.....

What about tarp material? You may be able to buy an inexpensive tarp at a camping supply store or at Target and then wrap the foam and use the duct tape to secure it.

What about tarp material? You may be able to buy an inexpensive tarp at a camping supply store or at Target and then wrap the foam and use the duct tape to secure it.

This is the way I would go. Wrap it around the back and then tape the back like you are wrapping a present using the duct tape. You want to use the REALLY sticky kind, so dont get the cheap knock-off brands. Then put that back part down on the floor.

It's funny to see this thread - I had been wondering the same thing myself recently. Since I'm not great at sewing, my thoughts were also along the lines of cheap tarps and duct tape! I haven't actually tried it as yet.

After missing out on a few craigslists listings for mats, I was just contemplating the possibility of making my own mat. Were you able to find the mattresses inexpensively? Anyone else made their own mat out of other materials?

LOL...yeah, you're attritubuting to me a skill which I'm not even close to being capable of!!!! Sewing???? I MIGHT be able to do a button on a shirt but not much else!

Instead of sewing the seams, you could duct tape them. You could pick a color that would match the tablecloth. The other choice would be the plastic tarps from the home improvement store. I've only seen clear and black. They come in small rolls (10 ft x 25 ft) and you could wrap the mattress like you would a present using duct tape to seal the seams.

After missing out on a few craigslists listings for mats, I was just contemplating the possibility of making my own mat. Were you able to find the mattresses inexpensively? Anyone else made their own mat out of other materials?

We got them for free from a friend.

Instead of sewing the seams, you could duct tape them. You could pick a color that would match the tablecloth. The other choice would be the plastic tarps from the home improvement store. I've only seen clear and black. They come in small rolls (10 ft x 25 ft) and you could wrap the mattress like you would a present using duct tape to seal the seams.

Now THAT I can handle!

Just to be clear....are you all talking about using duct tape to seal the seams or using duct tape to completely cover the mat?

Duct tape to seal the edges instead of trying to sew it! Duct tape has many uses in the gym and the world! Covering the whole mat with duct tape would make for a hard landing!

Duct tape to seal the edges instead of trying to sew it! Duct tape has many uses in the gym and the world! Covering the whole mat with duct tape would make for a hard landing!

LOL....that's what I was thinking too. I was very confused. :rolleyes:

Not sure if this would work, but I think you can get mattress covers (plastic) that have a fabric type feel. Target might have something like that. If you find it and it's too big, you could tuck the extra back and duct tape it to the side you want to keep on the ground.

Actually, rather than a mattress cover, a cheap duvet might work. Do a search on cheap duvet covers. You might find one for about 20 or 30 dollars. The might fit without you having to go to extra steps.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back