WAG Not sandbagging, but...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Soooo if your daughter went to one gym and was always last or close to last, switched gyms and was asked do you want her to go here or here. You would pick level 7 because you think it’s sandbagging? Lmfao like I said nobody knew how she would be at level 7 I knew she was good but her Gym travels to go up against the best competition. It is what it is if you think it’s sandbagging. She didn’t repeat level 7 by the way she went from 6 to 7, and I said she would have to test out of 8 to go 9

Not sure why you are LYAO,

My daughter went to L8 and was one of the low scorers at 8 rather then repeat 7 where she should of likely gone to regionals.
Because L8 was the best place to work on progressing and fine tuning her skills.

So, we, her parents, coaches and her, made a decision to have be a lower scoring L8 then a high scoring L7. We are all good with that choice.

And of course the coaches (at the gym) knew your daughter would score better at 7 then 8.

But if you are capable doing L9, and you chose to spend a season at a lower level to score higher, its sandbagging.

Competing at a level lower then what you are capable of to have a scoring advantage is sandbagging.

Reactions: sce
I actually agree that missing one of four events is a perfectly fine reason to not move up and don’t think what they’re doing is sandbagging.

I’m just confused about the score part. Saying really high scores in level 7 will justify moving to 9 more than lower scores in 8 is what I’m stumped by.

But sounds like a very successful gym and gymmie so assuming it makes sense if you’re there. :p

Yeah I agree that missing one of four events is a perfectly fine reason to not move up.

I’m just confused about the score part. Saying really high scores in level 7 will justify moving to 9 more than lower scores in 8 is what I’m stumped by.

But sounds like a very successful gym and gymmie so assuming it makes sense if you’re there. :p
And yet she will move up to 9 and possibly scratch bars.

So the missing one of four events really doesn't fly.

My daughter went to L8 and was one of the low scorers at 8 rather then repeat 7 where she should of likely gone to regionals.
Because L8 was the best place to work on progressing and fine tuning her skills.

So, we, her parents, coaches and her, made a decision to have be a lower scoring L8 then a high scoring L7. We are all good with that choice.

And of course the coaches (at the gym) knew your daughter would score better at 7 then 8.

But if you are capable doing L9, and you chose to spend a season at a lower level to score higher, its sandbagging.

Competing at a level lower then what you are capable of to have a scoring advantage is sandbagging.

So you feel my daughter should have skipped level 7 for what reason. Once again she was level 6 last year and went 7, she did not repeat level 7 to get higher scores. You said your daughter would have had to repeat, different situations

The coaches was asking us if we wanted her to SKIP 7 and go 8 but scratch vault. Or complete 7 and skip 8.

I actually agree that missing one of four events is a perfectly fine reason to not move up and don’t think what they’re doing is sandbagging.

Let’s say at her intra squad she doesn’t go Level 9. Now is she sandbagging if she goes 8 and still gets mid 38 scores? Will people still be complaining about it or will they be like oh I understand?

I can't understand why on earth it would be remotely problematic to anyone to let this child, who was relatively new to the gym, on a sharp but not entirely clear upward trajectory, and not fully ready for L8 vault, go the conservative route and compete 7 with the idea that if the earth and heavens aligned, she might possibly be ready for 9 next season.

So you feel my daughter should have skipped level 7 for what reason. Once again she was level 6 last year and went 7, she did not repeat level 7 to get higher scores. You said your daughter would have had to repeat, different situations
I have no opinion on what your daughter should do. She is not my daughter.

with my daughter we really didn’t have a choice, it was either go 7 and get your confidence up for 9 or skip 7 and prob not have your best meet scores and prob repeat 8.

I am only going by what you yourself typed.

Have a better 7 or not as good 8. As above.

I can't understand why on earth it would be remotely problematic to anyone to let this child, who was relatively new to the gym, on a sharp but not entirely clear upward trajectory, and not fully ready for L8 vault, go the conservative route and compete 7 with the idea that if the earth and heavens aligned, she might possibly be ready for 9 next season.

Smh once again we made this choice way before season in like Oct. level 8 and 9 vault is the same. She has everything for 9 except her bars, we won’t know if she has her release good enough to compete until the season is almost here. They will prob give us a talk again. Go level 8 or go 9 and if her bars or anything else isn’t ready scratch it.

Smh once again we made this choice way before season in like Oct. level 8 and 9 vault is the same. She has everything for 9 except her bars, we won’t know if she has her release good enough to compete until the season is almost here. They will prob give us a talk again. Go level 8 or go 9 and if her bars or anything else isn’t ready scratch it.

Exactly. I'm agreeing with you. I think the gym absolutely made the right choice having her do L7 and see how the competition/training went before pushing her into upper level optionals.

Here's the thing..

Looking from the outside and accusing people of sandbagging is counterproductive. We do not always know their gym story, personal story, etc. Just because a gym does things differently than another does not make one better than the other. Our gym will not move kids up missing skills. They feel that it adds stress to the gymnast in an already stressful sport to feel like they are playing catch up all the time. And that is fine.

Exactly, Skschlag. We don't know about the gyms' internal rules for move ups, nor do we know about the situations that each individual athlete is facing. Scores don't tell you everything, and you shouldn't presume that just because an athlete is scoring well, s/he is being held back for that purpose.

Scores don't tell you everything, and you shouldn't presume that just because an athlete is scoring well, s/he is being held back for that purpose.

That is correct. And there are still gyms that hold kids back for scores. It is disingenuous to pretend it doesn't happen. Of course it does.

Its not one or the other.

That is correct. And there are still gyms that hold kids back for scores. It is disingenuous to pretend it doesn't happen. Of course it does.

Its not one or the other.
Of course there are. But just because there is a kid competing with high scores, and even possibly repeating that level, does NOT always mean it's sandbagging. You cannot tell just by scores if that kid was ready to compete the next level or not, skill-wise. You can't tell by the scores of L6 whether or not a girl can do a giant for L7 (the gym may REQUIRE a giant), nor a connection or flight on beam. If a girl would have to scratch two events, that really is a pretty strong argument for repeating.

I don't think anyone is pretending it doesn't happen, just that you can't always tell for sure without knowing TRULY what's going on at that gym, and also with the girl.

Isn't the kid we are talking about only in her 2nd year of competing...ever?! Getting a full season in at level 7 to learn how to compete consistenly sounds like a good plan to me.

Last year she did
1 meet level 3
1 meet level 4
2 level 5s then double season 6

Switched gyms in April and now here we are people saying my daughter is sandbagging

Last year she did
1 meet level 3
1 meet level 4

Switched gyms in April and now here we are people saying my daughter is sandbagging
And that's exactly the reason why we can't say anything about it being sandbagging or not. There are so many external and internal unknowns. Some kids like challenge better, some like medals. Some can be pushed, some can't or shouldn't

Last year she did
1 meet level 3
1 meet level 4

She definitely is in the right level this year - 38s and all! One year of 4 levels, she needed a good solid one level year. Could she have scored out and competed level 8 somewhat successfully? Maybe. But coming from the scores of her lower levels, at a different gym, nobody could have predicted how well she would do.
Her scores are truly awesome for a little girl who just pushed through 4 levels.
Be proud!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back