WAG Not sandbagging, but...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

She definitely is in the right level this year - 38s and all! One year of 4 levels, she needed a good solid one level year. Could she have scored out and competed level 8 somewhat successfully? Maybe. But coming from the scores of her lower levels, at a different gym, nobody could have predicted how well she would do.
Her scores are truly awesome for a little girl who just pushed through 4 levels.
Be proud!!!

Thank you

What I’m saying is at the start of the season nobody knew how the season would go. They always train a level ahead and if she gets a good score at her intrasquad in Dec then she will go 9 l, but prob scratch I think bars if she can’t get a release
She is obviously very talented which is awesome! However I must say it does seem weird that they wouldn’t let her do 8 because of her vault, let they will let her do 9 with no bars? I don’t really understand the mentality, as the potential to score well with a fhs vault is much higher than doing level 9 bars without a release move. With her talents she could probably easily have got 37s with a fhs vault in level 8, I have seen girls do it. I just find it odd because the gym isn’t being consistent with you. If she can’t do level 8 because of the vault, then they shouldn’t have her do 9 if the bars aren’t ready. Mind you, I am thinking maybe they are letting her, because they feel the release move will come in as the season moves on....but the vault probably would have also. Just my two cents, fwiw...good luck to her at regionals, I am sure she will do great!

She is obviously very talented which is awesome! However I must say it does seem weird that they wouldn’t let her do 8 because of her vault, let they will let her do 9 with no bars? I don’t really understand the mentality, as the potential to score well with a fhs vault is much higher than doing level 9 bars without a release move. With her talents she could probably easily have got 37s with a fhs vault in level 8, I have seen girls do it. I just find it odd because the gym isn’t being consistent with you. If she can’t do level 8 because of the vault, then they shouldn’t have her do 9 if the bars aren’t ready. Mind you, I am thinking maybe they are letting her, because they feel the release move will come in as the season moves on....but the vault probably would have also. Just my two cents, fwiw...good luck to her at regionals, I am sure she will do great!
He said they would let her do 8 and scratch vault, just like they are saying with 9 and bars if not ready.

Many many many gyms will not move a girl to L8 until she can flip a vault. That decision is completely independent of scoring potential at either level.

Around 5 years ago, my kids' gym had a girl win floor at L9 nationals as a third-year L9. The coaches would not move her up to L10 until she got her beam series. They didn't hold her back so that she could win floor and vault at L9. Everyone would have preferred that she move to L10. Optionals is a different ballgame.
Absolutely true for us. No flipping vault, no L8. Period, end of story, no discussion. These are the standards and they work well for us - allows the gymnast extra time to get stronger, gain experience and more confidence. It's not sandbagging; it's the standard arc of development.

Well my daughter is a level 7, but we get all the time why is she in this level and it’s not fair etc. But we came from another gym and was given the option to either do level 7 and make sure all of her skills are right while training level 9 or go level 8 and scratch vault most or all of the season. So my daughter make the decision to just do level 7 this year. She just finished states and got a mid 38 and made state team. But sometimes it’s not that the gyms are sandbagging sometime they just want to make sure the gymnast is ready to move on
Why would she have to scratch vault? Our L8 competes a FHS ... and then does a 1/2 - 1/2 OR 1/2 - 1/1. She often outscores girls who are flipping vaults.

Why would she have to scratch vault? Our L8 competes a FHS ... and then does a 1/2 - 1/2 OR 1/2 - 1/1. She often outscores girls who are flipping vaults.

Level 7 do the Yurchancko (however you spell it)

Levels 8-10 do the yurchancko with all the flip stuff

New to gymnastics don’t really know the names of everything just learning as my daughter goes

Smh once again we made this choice way before season in like Oct. level 8 and 9 vault is the same. She has everything for 9 except her bars, we won’t know if she has her release good enough to compete until the season is almost here. They will prob give us a talk again. Go level 8 or go 9 and if her bars or anything else isn’t ready scratch it.
What do you mean the Level 8 and Level 9 Vault is the same?
There isn't a single Level 8 vault that has a 10.0 SV at Level 9 (I just checked to be sure).
And would the gym have allowed her to move up to 8 AFTER seeing how well she was doing at 7? Because she would have had to score out of 7 anyways.
At our gym, if a girl does well enough and can compete the next level safely, they get the option to move up. I know some gyms won't let gymnasts move up mid-season, but some do.

No a gymnast doesn’t “have to” flip a vault at level 8. They also don’t “have to” do a kip at level 4 or “have to” do a flyaway at level 5, etc. But many gyms require full difficulty, 10 start values on all events to compete at a particular level, to set up the progression to the next level, to ultimately culminate in successful competition at level 10.

There isn't a single Level 8 vault that has a 10.0 SV at Level 9 (I just checked to be sure).
And would the gym have allowed her to move up to 8 AFTER seeing how well she was doing at 7? Because she would have had to score out of 7 anyways.
At our gym, if a girl does well enough and can compete the next level safely, they get the option to move up. I know some gyms won't let gymnasts move up mid-season, but some do.

Yurchanko with another back flip before you land. Isn’t that a level 8 skill but also a level 9?

No they told the wife and I once we make our decision we we have to stay there for the remainder of the season.

No a gymnast doesn’t “have to” flip a vault at level 8. They also don’t “have to” do a kip at level 4 or “have to” do a flyaway at level 5, etc. But many gyms require full difficulty, 10 start values on all events to compete at a particular level, to set up the progression to the next level, to ultimately culminate in successful competition at level 10.

MY GYM level 8 skills

Bars
normal level 8 bar routine with a double pike

Vault
Yuchanko with a flip

Beam
Flick lay, back tuck, full dismount

Floor
Fulls two front pikes

Level 9

Vault
Is the same as 8

Beam

Same with prob a double tuck dismount and front and side Ariel’s

Bars
Same with a release

Floor
Double backs and other things

Just asked my daughter

Yes other gyms may let gymnasts do whatever but that’s their gym not mine

Just silly in terms of progress? Level 9, sure I guess, but I don’t see why anyone would hold a kid at 7 for a flic lay which isn’t in any way required.

Where do you see the vault SV because I was just told all levels have a 10 SV

Just silly in terms of progress? Level 9, sure I guess, but I don’t see why anyone would hold a kid at 7 for a flic lay which isn’t in any way required.

Just to add....she wasn't held at 7. She got to L7 in one year! She competed 4-6 her first ever year competing and then did a full year at 7. Absolutely nothing wrong with a gym slowing her down a tad to figure things out.

So if someone’s daughter goes 8 and has the normal minimum skills and kills every single meet. What’s the complaining going to be about then? Sandbagging, or she’s doing the bare minimum, or maybe people might say she shouldn’t be in that level? Regardless someone will complain or think something is silly about any and everything.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back