WAG Round-off on beam?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I recently had my round-off on a high beam with matts stacked under it. They were pretty good, but one day as I went to do one I couldn't do it. I fell pretty bad, and now I'm kind of afraid to do it! I've been doing them on the low beam, but they are not as good. Whenever I try to do it on the Matt stacked beam, I get scared.
I think one of my problems is going around the side. I sometimes do this on my cartwheel, and I think it is also causing my round off to do the same.
Can somebody please give me a step by step guideline on getting my round -off back? Tips, advice, etc would be super helpful (as well as some mental block tips)
I really want this skill back, they were so good before! Thank you

Are you training the skill for level 7 or for future dismounts? I was just going to say for level 7 I would suggest the back handspring as your flight skill. For me the roundoff was so much scarier than the back handspring! And I feel like the judges will probably be more impressed by the bhs! It's really not scary after the first one I promise.

What really helped me with roundoffs was looking for the beam/ where my feet were going to land while I was upside down. Being able to look and see right where your feet are going to go really helps to make it less scary! Also, focus on going into it straight; kick your back leg hard, but be careful to make sure that it goes straight up and over, not around the side at all. Going around the side on a roundoff tends to make it hurt your feet more and make it scarier/harder to land.

Get on a floor beam and do them off the end. Place you hands at the end of the beam and land the ound off on a folding mat the same height as the top of the beam. Put a line on the mat and keep it lined up with the beam and do them in quick succession until you're tired. Go do something else for a few minutes and return to the ound off drill. Repeat the above until you're bored to you wits end.

And....... stop changing the round off from what you do on a floor line. If it's best done on the floor line with a certain rhythm, then use that same speed and rhythm when you do them on the beam.

I tore up my ankle on a round off one year. (a long long time ago :)) I was terrified to do them again but a lot of reps on the floor and low beam really helped. It's all in the head, you just have to will yourself to do it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back