Parents Skin irritation

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

L

lilgymmie7

Does anyone know of a cure/aid to releaving inflammation of psoriasis when in the gym. My little one is in the gym so much and everytime she comes home her psoriasis/eczema seems to flare up. I have noticed that on days she isn't in the gym, her skin although still has the skin condition doesn't seem to look so red/flared up. The trouble is finding something that will work while in the gym. Any and all help would be very much appreciated. As she gets older, I have been told it should get better. She was diagnosed with eczema and psoriasis in 2008 and to date it has gotten worse- not better. I feel so bad when I see her scratching so much.:(:confused:

OHHH we suffer with the same thing. The only thing that helps is a bath after every practice and then vaseline all over!!! Good luck

Do you think a barrier cream would help? I know we don't want them too slimy, but maybe a good cream would protect from the chalk etc.

My girls both have excema and I do too. THe chalk really is irritating. I agree that the bath really helps.

DD has this prob too - it's awful.
I did cream her once and never would again - the cream just collected ten times as much chalk.
After bars and rope the coaches send her off to the bathroom to wash her hands and wipe herself off then she bathes at home and I put proper steroid cream on.
We tried antihistamines on gym days for a while but I didn't see any difference.
I do suspect chalk is an irritant to it though.
Actually the best help has been a swim in a salt pool afterward. It might be worth trying salt in her bath??

OHHH we suffer with the same thing. The only thing that helps is a bath after every practice and then vaseline all over!!! Good luck

I understand that vaseline, etc reduces the appearance of it to the eye in the short term, but (for us anyway) any sort of unmedicated moisturiser makes the (allergic) condition MUCH worse.
Most are irritant in themselves, and all prevent the skin from sweating and (especially) shedding the damaged cells properly so you get that deep cracked/creased, lumpy/crusty effect.
I'd be inclined to use calamine instead if you're reluctant to use medicated (antihistamine/steroid) ointments.
PS: I'm not a dr - blah, blah ...

Thank you everyone for your advice. Luckily my DD has a Drs. apt this week. You have given me some great advice to discuss with him. Hopefully, the psoriasis will begin to go away with the sun like he had originally said. I just feel bad when she scratches and has to field questions from her teammates. At six, she doesn't know exactly what to say other than "It's my psorsis."

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back