WAG Spondyliothesis

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymBeeMom

Proud Parent
Is Spondyliothesis, Grade 1 always the end, or are there success stories? I know what I think but want to hear what you think or know to be true.

Does she need surgery? "thesis" is pretty bad, sorry. That means that slippage has already occurred and the spine is unstable. It would probably happen again and could be worse, but you have to consult with doctors that have seen her case of course. Personally, I would never risk it no matter what a doctor said, but that's just my comfort zone.

Does she need surgery? "thesis" is pretty bad, sorry. That means that slippage has already occurred and the spine is unstable. It would probably happen again and could be worse, but you have to consult with doctors that have seen her case of course. Personally, I would never risk it no matter what a doctor said, but that's just my comfort zone.

My son 15 was diagnosed with Spondylilolisthesis grade 2 early this year. His doc said if he was pain free he could wrestle. I am nervous about his ever getting back on the mat. His doctor also said if his pain increases he would need surgery and recovery would be 6-8 mos. That is a long time. Even with surgery he said he could go back to wrestling. Wrestling after major back surgery is so scary to me.
I think doctors may say it doesn't have to be the end, but others would say yes it is the end. As a parent, I think I have to battle with my inner feelings. All I know is that I want my son to walk for as long as he can. He is interested in music and I am trying to nurture that.
To the op, I hear what my son's doctor is saying but the idea that paralysis could happen tells me he is done. My son's slippage is in the L4 L5. Where is your Dd's?

dunno, that's not entirely true! I have spondylolisthesis and I'm still training. Granted, I have stopped growing and my spine has been relatively stable since I was diagnosed at age 12, but 8 years later I'm still doing gymnastics. When I was diagnosed I was told that if it got worse then I would have to stop gymnastics and possibly have surgery, but it was very carefully monitored and never did get worse! I have also only ever trained a max of 8 hours a week, and am at Canadian/Ontario Level 5/6, so there's far less impact on my body than if I was a higher level gymnast. Mine is Grade 1, L4/L5. I do have back pain because of it and now have to avoid walkovers, but as long as I am careful I can still train. All that's to say, I don't consider spondylolisthesis to be a death sentence for gymnastics. I think it depends on the athlete and the situation.

the medical literature is clear on this particular issue and my extensive and painful experience with former athletes. pay now or pay later. there is no debate.

and i have been very clear and consistent with all of you regarding all the issues that come up when parents get concerned or scared by medical prognosis that comes up in gymnasts pretty regularly. from calcaneal epophysitis (Seevers), ostechondritis desecans in the elbows and knees (OCD and not to be confused with obsessive compulsive behavior), Osgood Schlatter, achilles tendonitis, osteochondrosis in the knees, pars defect syndrome, spondylosis (kissing vertebrae) positive ulnar variance (PUV or what used to be called ulnar radial variance) patellar tendonitis (the knee cap keeps kissing the tibial head or what's called "jumpers knee") and the list can go on and on.

but of all the things that gymnasts experience throughout their careers, the 1 thing that is just not worth it and can be potentially cause a crisis, it is Spondylolisthesis being the ONLY malady in where kids should not do gymnastics, diving, sometimes swimming depending on the stroke and football.

and if it is a kid only working out 8 hours a week (where you find most competitive gymnasts training 16 or more hours per week), this may be a threshold that this child's body/spine musculature can handle without accelerating or exacerbating the "what if". certainly, it takes more than 8 hours a week to perform most of the gymnastics that we see. and the young lady states that she can no longer do back walkovers. i'm certain that other skills will fall by the gymnastics wayside also as her body fully matures. but at some point, and in the vein of the old saying that "nothing lasts forever", this spinal condition is one where it is just not worth the risk. this is my opinion along with experience over several years of having dealt with this spinal condition. :)

Dunno could you go in to more detail about this condition specifically related to gymnastics. I know a girl on our team had to retire last year because of it and she was only a level 5. What are the causes, risks, prevention, etc. I assume conditions like this occur over years and lots of hours and pounding, but that wasn't the case with DD's teammate. I know there are some hereditary factors involved. What can we do to protect our kids? I read things like this and just want to pull her out now.

and i have been very clear and consistent with all of you regarding all the issues that come up when parents get concerned or scared by medical prognosis that comes up in gymnasts pretty regularly. from calcaneal epophysitis (Seevers), ostechondritis desecans in the elbows and knees (OCD and not to be confused with obsessive compulsive behavior), Osgood Schlatter, achilles tendonitis, osteochondrosis in the knees, pars defect syndrome, spondylosis (kissing vertebrae) positive ulnar variance (PUV or what used to be called ulnar radial variance) patellar tendonitis (the knee cap keeps kissing the tibial head or what's called "jumpers knee") and the list can go on and on.

but of all the things that gymnasts experience throughout their careers, the 1 thing that is just not worth it and can be potentially cause a crisis, it is Spondylolisthesis being the ONLY malady in where kids should not do gymnastics, diving, sometimes swimming depending on the stroke and football.

and if it is a kid only working out 8 hours a week (where you find most competitive gymnasts training 16 or more hours per week), this may be a threshold that this child's body/spine musculature can handle without accelerating or exacerbating the "what if". certainly, it takes more than 8 hours a week to perform most of the gymnastics that we see. and the young lady states that she can no longer do back walkovers. i'm certain that other skills will fall by the gymnastics wayside also as her body fully matures. but at some point, and in the vein of the old saying that "nothing lasts forever", this spinal condition is one where it is just not worth the risk. this is my opinion along with experience over several years of having dealt with this spinal condition. :)

Ummm, I think you know my DD does a few more than 8 hours a week. Elite gymnastics was a reachable dream for her but now we hope she will get a bug for tennis, ballet and public school. A normal healthy kid is a better option for us than a broken elite. Love to all our ChalkBucket families, looks like this is the end of the gymnastics road for my little miss.

Gymbeemom - I am so sorry you and your family are going through this. I know from your previous posts that your little one is exceptionally talented and driven. I hope she finds a new passion. I am sure she will excel at anything she chooses to do.

GymBeeMom - So sorry to hear for both you and your gymmie! Best of luck in whatever direction she heads -- remember it's just a new beginning. Gymnastics and life can both be cruel sometimes.

I am so sorry. I will be keeping you both in my thoughts. It is heartbreaking how quickly this can all come to an end. I am sure she will find a new path that makes her very happy. Big hugs from afar.

Ahhh, wow. That's so tough and I really feel for you and especially your dd. She's going to need you to be so strong and positive for her, just when you don't feel like it.

From your posts she sounds like a great kid and very talented and I hope when things settle she will find another passion to excel at.

Hugs to you.

GymBeeMom - this must very difficult for you and your dd, I am so sorry. Your daughter is obviously talented, athletic, and driven. I have no doubt she will excel in whatever else she does in the future.

I'm so sorry GymBeeMom, I remember you posting about your DD and her dreams and it is terribly unfair that it has to end this way.

How is she taking it all? I hope she can find a new passion where she can be happy and healthy!

Last edited:
Ummm, I think you know my DD does a few more than 8 hours a week. Elite gymnastics was a reachable dream for her but now we hope she will get a bug for tennis, ballet and public school. A normal healthy kid is a better option for us than a broken elite. Love to all our ChalkBucket families, looks like this is the end of the gymnastics road for my little miss.

i do know that. i was referring to Stargazer's post.

Dunno could you go in to more detail about this condition specifically related to gymnastics. I know a girl on our team had to retire last year because of it and she was only a level 5. What are the causes, risks, prevention, etc. I assume conditions like this occur over years and lots of hours and pounding, but that wasn't the case with DD's teammate. I know there are some hereditary factors involved. What can we do to protect our kids? I read things like this and just want to pull her out now.

no, it is not from pounding, etc; chicken...egg. the spondy comes first and it is widely believed that it is congenital. and in most cases where there has been no trauma, it is idiopathic.

so then, certain activities as i've mentioned, and then the pounding and so forth WILL exacerbate this condition. and of course, the more hours and more repetitions one takes can put you at considerable risk of the affected vertebrae above sliding off the one below. kinda like pushing a glass off a counter. when this happens, paralysis WILL take place.

I would take a month of rest and then start ballet at the best school you can find if she has an interest in that. Then after some more healing time, you could look into "Crossfit Kids" for conditioning. CrossFit Kids | Forging the Future of Fitness | Home

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back