Parents Switched gyms yesterday...very hard decision..lots of emotions...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Great job Mom! It's hard to change course and hard to put our kids in the position of feeling like they step "backwards" - but both you and she will be much happier and she'll be much healthier/safer doing those "big skills" and the much bigger ones in the future properly! It's a lot harder for a kid to get to L7/8 and realize they can't move forward because they are doing things "not quite right". What's more, compulsories are a great place to learn to compete, to perfect things, to persist until you do it right and she'll be in the midst of kids her age. L3-5 will go faster than you can imagine and she'll be right back to doing new exciting things. Glad to hear she likes the new gym - that's 99% of what this is all about, anyway!

I know you have mixed feelings, but I'm really happy for you and Puma, Jr. She is going to thrive, and you'll look back a year from now knowing with certainty that you made the right decision.

Good for you! I hope everything works out! Keep reminding yourself that with food form and conditioning the skills will fall into place so fast. Good luck to you!

I think you made a WONDERFUL decision. Having her do L3 this year will be a great confidence builder as I'm sure she'll be a superstar. Nothing wrong with that. More focus on form and conditioning now will only help her be a more successful optional - and THAT is the goal. How these girls perform in L3, 4 & 5 isn't always indicative of how they will do in optionals. No rush in getting to optionals without a strong foundation.

We switched gyms last May from a gym we were at since Mommy & me. It was tough because they were family. I have no regrets. Where we went is perfect for my DD. I still have frustrations, but they are minimal. She has found a new home and is progressing beautifully (according to HC/owner). That's all I can ask for.

I don't stress about what level she competes because I think competitions are mostly for parents. I am only concerned that she is 1. having fun and loving gym 2. making progress, learning new skills. If those two are good, I'm good.

Good for you and good for Puma Jr. She'll do great.

We just went through the same thing. You have to do what's best for her & not the gym. My dd seems to be blossoming at new gym and adores the new coaches & teammates. I'm very glad we made the decision but kind of kicking myself for not doing it a year ago when I first realized it wasn't working out. Good luck to you & your dd!!!! Hope she grows by leaps & bounds in her gymnastics.

I

I don't stress about what level she competes because I think competitions are mostly for parents. I am only concerned that she is 1. having fun and loving gym 2. making progress, learning new skills. If those two are good, I'm good.
While I agree with your 1 and 2 points, I totally disagree about competitions. My dd loves competing and loves gym more when she can focus on practicing to do well at competitions. Without the test of meets, she would love gymnastics less overall.

It is so so so so hard to get out of the mindset that levels are not what matters but instead the conditioning, form, and progressions are really what are important in the long run. I think Puma Jr must be a pretty great kid to be able to "get" that as just a little girl. And you are such an awesome mom! It will be a great year!

I can relate to this post so much. We switched gyms June 1 after being at the old gym for an entire DECADE (since DD was 2). It was hard, and I felt a lot of guilt -- guilt in leaving the gym that got her to level 8, guilt that I didn't get her out sooner from the gym where she and the only coach weren't a good fit and she was losing confidence in herself as a gymnast and as a person, guilt, guilt guilt. A few weeks later, I know we made the right decision to move her, and I am over feeling bad about could have, would have, should have. I made the best decisions I could as the information unfolded in front of us. We did none of this to hurt the old gym or anyone there. This is just what my DD needed to keep moving forward. I'm sure you have done the same. Onwards and upwards. Wishing you and your little gymnast all the best in the upcoming year(s)!!

It is easy to keep doing the same thing and difficult to change, but it sounds like you put a lot of thought inti this decision and really have your DD's best interest at heart. Good luck at the new gym!

While I agree with your 1 and 2 points, I totally disagree about competitions. My dd loves competing and loves gym more when she can focus on practicing to do well at competitions. Without the test of meets, she would love gymnastics less overall.

My DD absolutely adores competing. She loves an audience and always seems to step up her game. The medals certainly don't hurt! ;)

I think you made a WONDERFUL decision. Having her do L3 this year will be a great confidence builder as I'm sure she'll be a superstar. Nothing wrong with that. More focus on form and conditioning now will only help her be a more successful optional - and THAT is the goal. How these girls perform in L3, 4 & 5 isn't always indicative of how they will do in optionals. No rush in getting to optionals without a strong foundation.

We switched gyms last May from a gym we were at since Mommy & me. It was tough because they were family. I have no regrets. Where we went is perfect for my DD. I still have frustrations, but they are minimal. She has found a new home and is progressing beautifully (according to HC/owner). That's all I can ask for.

Good for you and good for Puma Jr. She'll do great.
We also have the family connection to the old gym. Very, very difficult. :(

Reactions: sce
Wow! What amazing responses and support! Thank you again!!! The second practice went great tonight. She said she got a ton of kips!!! I hope soon I can inspire other struggling kippers. This darn skill... when she finally has it solid please send ANYONE with kip frustrations my way for support!!!

Excellent! Good for you. I know it must have been really hard for you both. But Puma Jr. is so talented, she's going to fix those form issues and get right on moving forward in no time. Can't wait to see her progress!

I am wondering how old your cute kid is, because I keep reading posts about how young she is, but her age is never mentioned. If she is making kips at a young age this is fabulous! I am so glad she is enjoying the new gym and I am so sorry you went through what you did. We too have been at one gym for 5 years now and the next closest one is almost an hour and a half away from our house! I pray we never have to leave for any reason, but am aware there could come a day when it could happen. Your daughter obviously sounds mature beyond her years, which is why I asked how old she is. What a great kid you have, and she is lucky to have such a supportive mom!

I am wondering how old your cute kid is, because I keep reading posts about how young she is, but her age is never mentioned. If she is making kips at a young age this is fabulous! I am so glad she is enjoying the new gym and I am so sorry you went through what you did. We too have been at one gym for 5 years now and the next closest one is almost an hour and a half away from our house! I pray we never have to leave for any reason, but am aware there could come a day when it could happen. Your daughter obviously sounds mature beyond her years, which is why I asked how old she is. What a great kid you have, and she is lucky to have such a supportive mom!
She turned eight in February, so probably not as young as you're picturing! She first made a kip in October (so 7yr 8mo), so I really thought she would have it solid by now. New HC says it's her lack of arm strength, and thinks she should catch up soon with all the conditioning they do. I was actually starting to feel the tick tock of her getting "too old" to fix these bad habits and have a chance to be a really good gymnast. Hopefully it's not too late! Clearly she's not going to the Olympics or anything, but I just want her to have her best chance to be the best gymnast SHE can be. She wants to be L10 by high school and do gym in college. For now, I'm not concentrating on any of that. Small victories!!!! And yes, thank you, she honestly is wise beyond her years in some ways. :)

I'm glad :)

You did need to do it (from watching videos). You made the right choice.
Thank you! I really appreciate you and others I've shared with being kind with their criticism. It's hard to hear something negative about your kid, but if I ask, I want the truth! But everyone has been gentle yet honest. Hopefully I'll soon have some great before-and-after footage.

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back