The intrigue of being "the Youngest"...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Although age is commonly seen as an indication of talent, i mean who isn't going to think that a 8 year old that can do a layout full twist isn't talented. Lets rewind, what if she has done gym since she was 2 and has worked for 6 years then there is a 16 year old who has been doing gym for a year, if she gets her full twist people don't realise the talent that is there. For me length of time in the gym in relation to ability is what matters and that is how i see if someone is talented.

... If being the youngest is not all its cracked up to seem like.....then why do people insist on posting childs age??? That is what I wonder.

If a parent chooses not to mention their child's very young age for their level, would we necessarily infer they are laudibly modest? That is what I wonder.
I confess I'm not a fan of sweeping insinuations. People tend to make connections with others with similar struggles. It surprises me that anyone would presume 'young age + high level = parent flaunting their child's success with expectations of continued success'.

... I never understood the people who have posted their child's videos along w/their age anyway.... Will they continue to do that if Suzie is now a 12 year old Level 8??? ....

Parents of profoundly intellectually gifted children (especially without relevant family histories) similarly tend to go through a phase of comparisons where they try to ascertain the extent to which their child is 'different'. Each are aware that sharing what their children can do will help other families in similar predicaments feel less alone. Each hopes to connect with others for a million obvious reasons (none of which are to gloat).

I personally assume that most parents of young gym phenoms have the sense to comprehend the obvious: most young phenoms will transition from super hopeful to super ordinary. Imagine trying to prepare such a child for every conceivable possibility (parents aren't dream squashers after all) - when this includes a high probability of your phenom baby (who may well also have the most amazing passion and work ethic) ultimately not fulfilling peer/community expectations (mostly well meant) ... with all the adjustments to self concept and esteem that could result.

I personally assume that support and understanding for families faced with the various difficulties of having a phenom youngester would be best found on CB by sharing precisely those details of young age and high level. After all, support and understanding for such families trying to prepare for such probabilities seems in short supply in some circles.

I saw a quote the other day that says that children, these days, seem to only fall into two categories. One is delayed and intellectually challenged and the other is gifted and talented. WHere are the kids in the middle, you know just regular kids?

I have to say I found it very interesting as so many folk talk about the special programs their kids are in. Do average kids exist anymore?

Twenty years ago this discussion would have been had by phone or in a coffee shop, the advent of the intrenet and the CB has allowed people from very different places, mentally and physically, to discuss and share. Often I think, even though we all are speaking English, we need a translator.

I wonder if all the "advocating" for our kids, who have to grow up in a society that doesn't give a crap if you are special, is a good thing. Leading us back to the article MaryA posted on kids who flounder as adults. I really do believe that kids do need to feel dissapointment and let down. Creating an artificial childhood, because our kids are "special" may not be doing them any favours.

Remember this is a discussion, not a court of law.

I don't think posting your child's age necessarily has anything to do with bragging about how advanced your child is. My child is an old woman in gymnast years... 10-years-old and ONLY a level 5-training-6! I think, as Bella's mom says, posting your child's age on this site give you a chance to reach out to parents who have kids the same age. However, definitely I think that wanting your child to be the youngest in his/her level or grade or whatever grows out of wanting your child to be advanced, and as others have said, it goes back to infanthood... when did your child hold up his/her head? Smile? Crawl? Walk? Potty-train? Even though none of those things have ever been shown to correlate with whether or not you child gets into an ivy league college, parents seem to want to attribute such things to their "advanced" child. It's like that article I posted at the end of the week last week... parents don't want to think their child is "average." They have to be either gifted, or learning disabled, or both. Of course, every child is special to Mom and Dad, and that's how it should be. It's when we start comparing our child to every other kid that we start getting into trouble.

Hitting the LIKE button a thousand times for you on this one Mary! The "race" begins in utero I think for some, LOL
PS, my "old lady" is a aged 10 L6/7 too!

In short, being young and successful doesn't matter that much because no one is young forever and few people are successful for very long. As you age, you develop your personality which determines how hard you work and what things you want to work hard in (interests). An 8 year old level 6 might grow bored and want to try ballet; it then doesn't matter how talented and young she was in gymnastics except that she might have carry-over skills for dance. Probably gymnastics stresses being young and talented more than other sports and activities due to the limited number of years girls have in the sport, but since the ultimate goal is good exercise and recreation, it probably shouldn't be for anyone who will never be a professional. Obviously burn-out is a big problem, so don't sweat the rat race.

My dd is a very late December baby so she is always the youngest in school. It is hard for her because she is also very petite for her age and so really stands out at school. At gym, the groups are not by age, so she is neither the very youngest in her group, nor the smallest, as she is just average size for a gymnast.

And I too remember the days after having my first, everyone competing for their child being the first to roll over, walk, talk, etc. Some things never change. After we left our old gym, I have ept in touch with other moms who are always asking if dd has got certain skills yet or what they are working on. It drives me crazy.

I think a lot of parents are new to this sport (or fairly new) and while it may not be right people want to see how their child compares to others. That is not the only reason for posting ages I know but I am sure others wonder what the "average" age for the level their child is in is. My daughter did not even start gymnastics until she was almost 8 but I know in our gym the younger girls get a lot of "wows"!! It does sound impressive to have a 6 year old level 7 (just using this as an example). It is true that we don't know how long the child has been doing gymnastics or any of the details there is just the initial WOW factor! Parents have probably compared their children since the beginning of time and will more than likely continue to do so! LOL! I think the curiosity is normal as long as it is not done in a way where our children feel like they are not as good because they are older (or younger or whatever). I think any child who has the determination and fortitude to stick with a sport such as gymnastics is special!!

Why such a need to "Point a finger" at others who do not hold the same ideals as 'we' do. My understanding that all people are different as well as the "I can't do anything to change the mentality of others" helps me to go about my business. If I stopped to worry about why others don't 'do' as I do, I would go nuts. Many parents push, many don't, and many are some where in the middle. I fall within the middle group, and for me that is just fine!

When my first was born, I experienced this "firsts race" right away. There were friends whose kids talked first, was potty trained, ate solids first, first, walked first, ect...it was pretty comical at the time. A close friend of mine had a DD about same age, 3 months older to be exact. When our kids hit pre-school age she was in a battle at her job's daycare for her DD to be placed in all day in Kindergarten to "beat" out the rest of the group back in the town's Pre K. I often listened to the tales of how she was reading and writting in her journal and was on a 1st grade reading level & mom was so happy she won the battle to get her into Kindergarten early! So my son goes to Kindergarten finally and it is only half day, but he loves it! Gets all his HW done in poacket on first day, loves to play and show-n-tell. He is not at all about the bussiness. By 3rd grade, the teachers and principal are asking him to try harder on the state test, he doesn't write enough and they can't get a clear picture of his test grade even. Friends daughter is miserable in school because her mom wanted to make sure she had a "serious" teacher so made sure she requested the teacher all the kids hated! Fast forward to Middle School and HS so I don't bore you, my son receved Math Awards and Silver award for GPA and high proficiency on state tests, he is in all accelerated classes now, and friend's daughter is miserable and hates school and hates that her mom pushed her. She maybe going to Summer school.

My own DD started gymnastics at 5, ok, early, LOL, but has repeated 4 twice, 5 twice, maybe even will do 6 twice...who cares as long as she is going at the pace SHE wants to go at!

Moral of the story? Life is not about the race, it's about the adventure, the ride...kids are hard enough on themselves, be the parent, the cheerleader, the supporter...without the pushing!!

That's a great story,but I hope you don't make the assumption that all gifted children are being pushed. It's not the case. My nephew is 6 and reads at a 5th grade level. My sister didn't push him in the least. The school has been the pushy one wanting him to skip a few grades. She hasn't allowed it. The most he does is go to other grade levels for reading and math.

You advocate for kids going at their own pace and sometimes that pace is faster than the average kid and it's not always because the child has been pushed. It's just as important to keep a kid challenged as it is to not burden them with too much.

Why such a need to "Point a finger" at others who do not hold the same ideals as 'we' do. My understanding that all people are different as well as the "I can't do anything to change the mentality of others" helps me to go about my business. If I stopped to worry about why others don't 'do' as I do, I would go nuts. Many parents push, many don't, and many are some where in the middle. I fall within the middle group, and for me that is just fine!

I don't think anyone is "pointing a finger" at others as this thread was just created to start a discussion. I have noticed in today's culture that age and being the youngest or oldest for that matter is what is highlighted and talked about. There is no "normal or average" anymore. I just find the whole "phenomenon" intriguing and interesting.

It seems like you can't have a debate or discussion without someone being "offended" or accused of pointing a finger. People really need to lighten up.

Ok so I have read all the posts about the youngest kids on team and I do not doubt its not all roses.

If being the youngest is not all its cracked up to seem like.....then why do people insist on posting childs age???

That is what I wonder.

I'm not sure what you mean by posting ages. Do you mean on videos on youtube or do you mean when people on CB introduce their children? I think it's normal when introducing yourself to say how old your child is. I know the ages of the DD's of most regular posters on here. I do find in annoying on videos when people post "DD's backflip age 3 and 7 months!" That makes it pretty obvious they are looking for someone to tell them their child is the youngest ever to do something. Other videos don't come across that way even if the age is posted.

I'm not sure what you mean by posting ages.I do find in annoying on videos when people post "DD's backflip age 3 and 7 months!" That makes it pretty obvious they are looking for someone to tell them their child is the youngest ever to do something.

Bwahahaha! :D

That is one of my biggest peeves. Whenever I see videos that are titled with "Suzie's BT aged 5" etc. It is just odd. Aren't videos up to share with family and friends? Surely they know exactly how old Suzie is. Now if they are posted to brag to the universe of strangers, and creepers, that is plain wierd. Like putting up a flag to say "look at my tiny child doing gymnastics in a small outfit." ICK! :confused: The age is not necessary.

Sharing your kids age on an introduction post, or in your sig, is a great way to work out who has kids the same age as you do.

My next big peeve, is "yay we got our kip!", when in fact Suzie did and mom and dad paid the bills and did the driving. :rolleyes:

My third big peeve is people coming here to complain about Suzie not doing well at a meet, when she actually went home with a medal around her neck. Get a grip!:D When your kid falls off every apparatus then perhaps that is a bad meet.

But that is just me after almost 7000 posts and reading a bajillion of everyone else's.

Hahaha--I know what you mean Bog! And not only do some youtubers add the age to the title, they will also add descriptives such as: "Tiny gymnast ONLY 6 years old!!!"

Ummmm, yeah---most 6 year olds are tiny when you compare them to the other 12-14 year olds in the video shot!!!! Bwahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!

Although age is commonly seen as an indication of talent, i mean who isn't going to think that a 8 year old that can do a layout full twist isn't talented. Lets rewind, what if she has done gym since she was 2 and has worked for 6 years then there is a 16 year old who has been doing gym for a year, if she gets her full twist people don't realise the talent that is there. For me length of time in the gym in relation to ability is what matters and that is how i see if someone is talented.

That is a very interesting idea. I would also add hours in the gym. A 7 year doing 20 Hours SHOULD have some phenomenal skills for their age compared to a 7 year old doing 8 hours.

I don't think anyone is "pointing a finger" at others as this thread was just created to start a discussion. I have noticed in today's culture that age and being the youngest or oldest for that matter is what is highlighted and talked about. There is no "normal or average" anymore. I just find the whole "phenomenon" intriguing and interesting.

It seems like you can't have a debate or discussion without someone being "offended" or accused of pointing a finger. People really need to lighten up.

So true, so true. Llife experience has taught me that those who are the most easily offended are those who are guilty of whatever is being "pointed out." Sometimes getting older really does impart more wisdom!

I don't think posting your child's age necessarily has anything to do with bragging about how advanced your child is. My child is an old woman in gymnast years... 10-years-old and ONLY a level 5-training-6! I think, as Bella's mom says, posting your child's age on this site give you a chance to reach out to parents who have kids the same age. However, definitely I think that wanting your child to be the youngest in his/her level or grade or whatever grows out of wanting your child to be advanced, and as others have said, it goes back to infanthood... when did your child hold up his/her head? Smile? Crawl? Walk? Potty-train? Even though none of those things have ever been shown to correlate with whether or not you child gets into an ivy league college, parents seem to want to attribute such things to their "advanced" child. It's like that article I posted at the end of the week last week... parents don't want to think their child is "average." They have to be either gifted, or learning disabled, or both. Of course, every child is special to Mom and Dad, and that's how it should be. It's when we start comparing our child to every other kid that we start getting into trouble.

And my old lady gymnast is at the ripe old age of 11 training Level 6 or prep op also!

I do find in annoying on videos when people post "DD's backflip age 3 and 7 months!" That makes it pretty obvious they are looking for someone to tell them their child is the youngest ever to do something. Other videos don't come across that way even if the age is posted.

That's exactly what we're talking about! It's perfectly normal to talk about the age of your child when you're introducing yourself here on CB. I think it's great, so we can all figure out where everyone's coming from and we get to know everyone a little bit better that way as well.

I forgot who, and I'm too lazy to scroll back right now, but someone on this thread posted about age not being the indicative factor but HOW LONG a child has been working out in the gym. I LOVED the remark about a 16 year old being in the gym for a year or two and getting their full twist, compared to, say, a 7 year old who's been working out since they were two years old. This sport is all about HARD WORK and nothing can take away the success of a child, NO MATTER WHAT AGE, who has been working hard to get their skills. Just to vent a little bit: I am sooo unimpressed by those little munchkins who spend all of their free time in the gym and have been since they've been able to walk. I've seen so many people here on CB who have, over the years, simply disappeared after their "amazing" 7 year old has burned out and gone on to other things. I so much more admire those kids who have faced their challenges, fears and mental blocks and persevered through it all, no matter WHAT level they are currently working on. What wonderful life lessons they have learned about hard work and determination!

That's exactly what we're talking about! It's perfectly normal to talk about the age of your child when you're introducing yourself here on CB. I think it's great, so we can all figure out where everyone's coming from and we get to know everyone a little bit better that way as well.

I forgot who, and I'm too lazy to scroll back right now, but someone on this thread posted about age not being the indicative factor but HOW LONG a child has been working out in the gym. I LOVED the remark about a 16 year old being in the gym for a year or two and getting their full twist, compared to, say, a 7 year old who's been working out since they were two years old. This sport is all about HARD WORK and nothing can take away the success of a child, NO MATTER WHAT AGE, who has been working hard to get their skills. Just to vent a little bit: I am sooo unimpressed by those little munchkins who spend all of their free time in the gym and have been since they've been able to walk. I've seen so many people here on CB who have, over the years, simply disappeared after their "amazing" 7 year old has burned out and gone on to other things. I so much more admire those kids who have faced their challenges, fears and mental blocks and persevered through it all, no matter WHAT level they are currently working on. What wonderful life lessons they have learned about hard work and determination!

And that is what it is all about!!! Hard work and determination! I have watched the 6 year old petrified of jumping to the high bar and I have watched the 15 year old struggle with backward tumbling! It is the most amazing thing to watch as they overcome them! That is what is truly special about this sport!! No matter what the age!!

I wasn't going to post, but just can't help myself!

My pet peeve is really young gymnasts (and you know this from the title of their video lol) who just are not that good! Why the rush to make them such a high level so fast? 33 AA is not exactly setting the world on fire. All the form issues, bent legs, why, why why??????

My other observation as the mom of a 14 year old is this. These 6 or 7 year olds are not even half as old as my dd. I feel like I should brag that my 14 yo is a normal, well adjusted, friendly, intelligent, respectful young lady. She has faced her fears, growth, boy issues, heavy homework, friend issues and she still CHOOSES TO DO and LOVES GYMNASTICS! She has learned that hard work and love of the sport has made her what she is today. She has stayed with gym longer than all the young, overachieving, first place AA winners who choose to quit to try soccer and softball because they didn't love gym anymore. It got too hard. Well it has always been hard for my DD. The darn kip and giant couldn't have been more frustrating. Time will tell which kids will be with this sport long term. From my experiences, it will most likely be a small percent of the extremely young ones. (ps. I hope I did not offend anyone with this post. It is not my intent. Just wanted to share my opinions, right or wrong)

There's some really great stuff going on in this thread. All I am going to add is that my DD is currently the youngest girl at her level (and by no means is a 7 year old L4 something unique, it's just that the group of girls who are at DD's gym happen to all be 8 and up...purely circumstancial, not bc DD is some virtuoso gymmie). She doesn't like being the youngest. She says she wants a younger girl to join the team because she is tired of everyone bossing her around because they're older! LOL Fine by me! The best thing she has learned is to work hard & push through her struggles...which is also fine by me! ;)

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back