The intrigue of being "the Youngest"...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

And some average 6 year olds turn into amazing 16 year olds.

Obviously. They've had to have started somewhere.
I think you missed the point of the rest of my post. Not EVERY 6 year old turns into a succsesful 16 year old, but obviously SOME do.

And not every parent of great gymnasts are nuts, but some ARE!

Obviously. They've had to have started somewhere.
I think you missed the point of the rest of my post. Not EVERY 6 year old turns into a succsesful 16 year old, but obviously SOME do.

And not every parent of great gymnasts are nuts, but some ARE!

I didn't miss the point of your post, but perhaps you are missing the point of my comment. At 6 years old its too early to determine whether they will have later success. Anything can happen. It doesn't matter what they look like at 6.

Exactly. It's the child prodigy notion.

If my kid is THIS talented at age 6, where will she be at age 10 ? What these parents (and also come coaches) don't always keep in mind is that talent evens out and late starters catch up and progress slows down sometimes. Plainly put, not every amazing 6 year old grows into an amazing 16 year old. :)

This meant the same thing..at 6, we cannot predict the future!

I don't think starting early will make a gymnast better in the long run. I started gymnastics when I was 9, and most of the girls in my level started around age 4. I think I actually had an advantage since I started late. I was 9 years old, so I understood that I had to stay tight and have good form, and I could actually understand everything my teachers taught me. So I learned my skills faster than the 4 year olds who are out there jumping around. Sometimes I say, "Oh I wish I would have started when I was younger." But I honestly think I would still be at the same level I am at now.

I don't think starting early will make a gymnast better in the long run. I started gymnastics when I was 9, and most of the girls in my level started around age 4. I think I actually had an advantage since I started late. I was 9 years old, so I understood that I had to stay tight and have good form, and I could actually understand everything my teachers taught me. So I learned my skills faster than the 4 year olds who are out there jumping around. Sometimes I say, "Oh I wish I would have started when I was younger." But I honestly think I would still be at the same level I am at now.

I agree. DD's friend is a 10 year old L5 and she started when she was 8. They both started in the same class, DD was 4 and her friend was 8. Her friend is so amazing. I think she has a lot of natural talent obviously, but everything she does is so effortless and beautiful. DD and her may get skills at about the same rate, but it takes DD forever to make them look good. This girls mom was a gymnast and she too started later. She competed L5 as an 11 year old and made it to level 8 before quitting at age 14. The best kids on DD's team are certainly the older ones with a few exceptions.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back