The intrigue of being "the Youngest"...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I started gymnastics late--at 9--and competed Level 5 at 11. I started gymnastics because it was something I wanted to do, and I had begged my mom to please, please, please take me. :) It was completely and totally my idea and my sport from the start. I was so jealous of the little ones who were already optionals at 11, and it seemed I had to work so much harder. I ended up competing through Level 8 (and doing well there) and all the way through to my senior year of high school. None of the kids that were optionals at 11 continued much past 7th grade. At the time, I was so envious of their skills and talents, but looking back at the big picture, I had the best of both worlds. I had my childhood where I did dance, Brownies, church, swimming, etc., and then I also had the opportunity to work hard and participate in a sport I loved. I still had passion for gymnastics when I quit after my senior season, but was able to move into coaching and share my passion that way.

My daughter was put into gymnastics because I love the sport and I think it's great. She'll compete level 3 this year as a 6 (almost 7) year old and I hope she does well and enjoys it, but I also know full and well that this was something I picked for her, and I wouldn't be suprised if at 9, 10, or 11, or even earlier, she wants to switch to something that she has a passion for within herself.

So true, so true. Llife experience has taught me that those who are the most easily offended are those who are guilty of whatever is being "pointed out." Sometimes getting older really does impart more wisdom!

For the record, I don't feel the least bit offended. I am quoting in the event that someone else may think that. I know it has been posted before by others that CB has lost somewhat of its 'friendly' feel. I don't personally feel that myself because I let 'by gones' be 'by gones' and I also don't hold a grudge.
I have known personally people who do post the ages of their gymmies/kids and I have wondered about it myself, but I just have never openly said anything positive or negative about it. Why? Because over the internet people do not get the 'full' intention behind the wonderment. People will do what they see fit. Nothing I say will sway them one way or the other.
Some of the posts I have read do honestly sound like NGL said as if assumptions are attached to them. One being the child MUST be pushed, or the parents are living through the child, etc. My ability to say we each have are reasonings for doing things prompted my previous post. It wasn't geared from personal feelings however.
I know that when I post, I want constructive critisism(SP) (Brain freeze!). But a post like this almost always will get the negativity flowing. Just sit back and assess the situation. Did you REALLY think you would get the all roses view; "Yes, I post my child's age and don't you love it!" (Not me by the way)
** A previous post caused me to go into my DD's youtube and delete all personal info. It was too late however, people already know her name. Something, I now have to be mindful of going forward.**

If I have offended you, I apologize. My disclamer: These are just my views.:D

She doesn't like being the youngest. She says she wants a younger girl to join the team because she is tired of everyone bossing her around because they're older! LOL Fine by me! The

OMG!!!! Bella too! She was so stoked when she found out two girls younger than her (albeit one by only a couple of months but when you're 7 that TOTALLY counts) were joining her group. She always comes home griping about how a couple of the older girls (10 & 11) always boss her around and tell her where she needs to go or what she should be doing.

I'll throw this out too....

I think that the girls who start older have some advantage to the younger ones. Older kids are more body aware and can make their hands look pretty and have a better understanding of how to make their limbs and bodies do what they are being asked.

Or maybe it's just compared to my kid. I know her coaches had to teach her what it means to be "hollow" and "tight" and these were concepts that took months to "get". But someone who is ten or eleven, they usually catch on a little quicker. Same with pretty hands. Bella's hands look like falcon claws when she tries to be pretty but the older girls just immediately, almost instinctively, know how to shape their hands.

So there...... that's what I have to add this afternoon.

If a parent chooses not to mention their child's very young age for their level, would we necessarily infer they are laudibly modest? That is what I wonder.
I confess I'm not a fan of sweeping insinuations. People tend to make connections with others with similar struggles. It surprises me that anyone would presume 'young age + high level = parent flaunting their child's success with expectations of continued success'.

Parents of profoundly intellectually gifted children (especially without relevant family histories) similarly tend to go through a phase of comparisons where they try to ascertain the extent to which their child is 'different'. Each are aware that sharing what their children can do will help other families in similar predicaments feel less alone. Each hopes to connect with others for a million obvious reasons (none of which are to gloat).

I personally assume that most parents of young gym phenoms have the sense to comprehend the obvious: most young phenoms will transition from super hopeful to super ordinary. Imagine trying to prepare such a child for every conceivable possibility (parents aren't dream squashers after all) - when this includes a high probability of your phenom baby (who may well also have the most amazing passion and work ethic) ultimately not fulfilling peer/community expectations (mostly well meant) ... with all the adjustments to self concept and esteem that could result.

I personally assume that support and understanding for families faced with the various difficulties of having a phenom youngester would be best found on CB by sharing precisely those details of young age and high level. After all, support and understanding for such families trying to prepare for such probabilities seems in short supply in some circles.

These are my sentiments, not because I think my DD is a phenom, but because I strive to try to understand people as much as possible. I have fallen prey to formulating assumptions in personal situations only to find that I was wrong all along. Age has changed my dealings with people. Stiving to understand has been my motto thus far!

It seems to me the only people who have a problem with younger/higher levels are those that have an older gymnast who maybe isn't the highest level. I don't see too many people here or out in the real world making a big deal about their younger gymnast, it's always the others wanting to call attention to it. Here especially, people want to constantly remind us that our children will not likely make it past a certain age. My response to that is, when did anybody say otherwise? My DD is a child and may very well decide next week to do something different. Big deal. I'll hope she enjoyed herself in gymnastics.

I don't get the need for posters on this board to constantly turn every issue into a debate over the same issue. Why does their need to be a comparison? Who cares if your child did level 5 at 6 years old or 16 years old? I certainly don't care.

If a parent chooses not to mention their child's very young age for their level, would we necessarily infer they are laudibly modest? That is what I wonder.
I confess I'm not a fan of sweeping insinuations. People tend to make connections with others with similar struggles. It surprises me that anyone would presume 'young age + high level = parent flaunting their child's success with expectations of continued success'.

Parents of profoundly intellectually gifted children (especially without relevant family histories) similarly tend to go through a phase of comparisons where they try to ascertain the extent to which their child is 'different'. Each are aware that sharing what their children can do will help other families in similar predicaments feel less alone. Each hopes to connect with others for a million obvious reasons (none of which are to gloat).

I personally assume that most parents of young gym phenoms have the sense to comprehend the obvious: most young phenoms will transition from super hopeful to super ordinary. Imagine trying to prepare such a child for every conceivable possibility (parents aren't dream squashers after all) - when this includes a high probability of your phenom baby (who may well also have the most amazing passion and work ethic) ultimately not fulfilling peer/community expectations (mostly well meant) ... with all the adjustments to self concept and esteem that could result.

I personally assume that support and understanding for families faced with the various difficulties of having a phenom youngester would be best found on CB by sharing precisely those details of young age and high level. After all, support and understanding for such families trying to prepare for such probabilities seems in short supply in some circles.

You hit on something that is a pet peeve of mine: Expectations that are unwarranted and unwelcome that come from others.

I'm the parent who feels like I have to constantly squash those expectations. Because she is the youngest on her team we get a lot of comments about how she's going to be so good when she's such and such age. I hate that. I just want her to be where she's at without everyone judging her. An 8 or 9 year old girl in her level doesn't have to deal with that even if they are way more talented then she is. The one I hate the most is when someone will say how something was easier for her because she's little. It's almost like they discount how hard she had to work just like everyone else to get something. Skills do not come easy to DD. She has plenty of struggles and is far from the best in her level.

You hit on something that is a pet peeve of mine: Expectations that are unwarranted and unwelcome that come from others.

I'm the parent who feels like I have to constantly squash those expectations. Because she is the youngest on her team we get a lot of comments about how she's going to be so good when she's such and such age. I hate that. I just want her to be where she's at without everyone judging her. An 8 or 9 year old girl in her level doesn't have to deal with that even if they are way more talented then she is. The one I hate the most is when someone will say how something was easier for her because she's little. It's almost like they discount how hard she had to work just like everyone else to get something. Skills do not come easy to DD. She has plenty of struggles and is far from the best in her level.

I personally witnessed this at a wrestling tournament this weekend. It wasn't because this child was the youngest by any means but because he is a serious phenom. He lost a match however, and that poor kid fell apart. Meanwhile the entire gym was silent and all eyes were on him. I felt so 'little' in comparison just trying to imagine what must have been going through his mind. These kids today have far too much pressure put on them. That is what we should be discussing. What we can do to help the children of the world because we know or should know that it is the RIGHT thing to do!!

It seems to me the only people who have a problem with younger/higher levels are those that have an older gymnast who maybe isn't the highest level.

I will call you wrong and we will live with our differing opinions. This coming from a parent of a high level gymnast and I guess by most standards is a "normal age" training L10 gymnast. I can't believe that you actually wrote this sentence....????

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems to me the only people who have a problem with younger/higher levels are those that have an older gymnast who maybe isn't the highest level.

I will call you wrong and we will live with our differing opinions. This coming from a parent of a high level gymnast and I guess by most standards is a "normal age" training L10 gymnast. I can't believe that you actually wrote this sentence....????

Well those are the people on this board who feel the need to discuss this subject to death. I don't recall seeing the parents of younger gymnasts on here starting threads or constantly posting about how wonderful their kids are. I haven't seen any of them bringing up these discussions. Yet more and more many threads turn into this same debate.

I'm at the point where if I have a question I'd almost rather ask it in private because it will certainly be turned into a debate over something related to the age of the gymnast. Or people will read things into the post that aren't there. Because if you have a young gymnast at a higher than normal level you must be pushing them too hard. Meanwhile if you have a gymnast at an average level for their age, that's fine.

You are not one who does this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well those are the people on this board who feel the need to discuss this subject to death. I don't recall seeing the parents of younger gymnasts on here starting threads or constantly posting about how wonderful their kids are. I haven't seen any of them bringing up these discussions.

That's because meet season is over and TOPS testing hasn't started yet LOL. I say this jokingly but part of me is serious. Anyway, this is a board with many members with many varying degrees of involvement. And yes, there are many opinions on this board--there has to be with this many members. I know that this topic gets debated to death, but there is always a new or fresh opinion that gets heard in the process on either side of the debate.

If you only want to hear what you agree with and what reinforces your own beliefs, you will never learn and grow. Not everyone will agree with or like what they read on this board and that's ok. It's not meant to be taken personally or too seriously really--it's just people's opinions.

Last edited:
That's because meet season is over and TOPS testing hasn't started yet LOL. I say this jokingly but part of me is serious. Anyway, this is a board with many members with many varying degrees of involvement. And yes, there are many opinions on this board--there has to be with this many members. I know that this topic gets debated to death, but there is always a new or fresh opinion that gets heard in the process on either side of the debate.

If you only want to hear what you agree with and what reinforces your own beliefs, you will never learn and grow. Not everyone will agree with or like what they read on this board and that's ok. It's not meant to be taken personally or too seriously really--it's just people's opinions.

Just remember that's a two way steet with learning and growing. I don't need everyone to agree with me, but I'll keep sharing my opinion freely. I'm not trying to convert everyone to the way I believe. I haven't heard any fresh perspective on the subject in the year I've been here. It's the same people saying the same things over and over. Some fresh perspective would actually be quite nice. It's to the point where I can pretty much predict exactly what certain posters will write.

Just remember that's a two way steet with learning and growing. I don't need everyone to agree with me, but I'll keep sharing my opinion freely. I'm not trying to convert everyone to the way I believe. I haven't heard any fresh perspective on the subject in the year I've been here. It's the same people saying the same things over and over. Some fresh perspective would actually be quite nice. It's to the point where I can pretty much predict exactly what certain posters will write.

I totally hear ya! And if I recall many of the posters that have come out of lurkdome to post after years of reading are in the threads that have been deleted. Not that it is my intention to create a heated debate to where it gets so hot it ends up being locked or even requested to be deleted, but many posters have come out to voice their opinions for the first time in some of these beaten to death threads. It can get old after a while, but that is no reason to have to stop talking about it. It's all good.

Gymnastics is a tough sport wether you are six or sixteen. To do what you love, and at times fear, in meets to be torn apart critisized, judged then compared to others has to be at very least a challenge. Thats what these kids do every meet. Then all the training and conditioning at practice. They have to take corrections from coaches on how to do skills a little better each time. Yet these kids can't get enough. So two years at 16 our five years at 7 I am impressed by each and everyone of them. Also, if they score a 33 and don't rock the house but a coach moves them up then I sume the coach must know what they are looking for and I trust them. Final point, gymnastics offers opportunities for all ages and skill levels you just have to find the right fit for your gymmies style, age, desires, personality ect ect:) Now off the podium I go lol.

I now feel like I need to change my signature. When I first joined, it seemed like that was what everyone had in their signature and so that is what I did too. I in no way thought anything of it, especially that I was somehow bragging.

Yes, my daughter was the youngest in her group and yes, she is also in the highly capable program at school. I am so proud of her for her hard work and grace, her passion for this sport and her love of math. I am also very proud of my son, who is a creative free spirit with the greatest smile and the biggest heart of anyone I have ever met. My children amaze me everyday in so many ways, as I am sure every one of your children does as well.

My kid isn't a phenom or throwing awesome skills. She has been identified to hold good potential in her body type and her discipline and something about amazing feet that I totally don't understand. She struggles out there every day, always one step behind all the other girls, and walks out of practice with a big smile and never complains. Will she one day catch up to her "potential"? Who knows. I trust that her coaches are doing the right thing and I certainly know she is excited to have a full year at a level with more girls her age and I am grateful for that.

I'm sorry, but I won't apologize for being proud of my kids and I come here looking for support and education from parents in my same shoes and those that have walked the path before me. I just wish we could stop being so judgmental of each other.

I would think part of the intrigue is that they are typically better than most of the other kids in their age group and are obviously very good if they are competing with older kids. I could try and tell myself (delusionally) that my entering level 4 7 year old(if she gets her skills over the summer!) will ever be in the same league as the current not quite 8 year old level 7 we have in our gym. She's also more than 2 years younger than any of the level 7s. There is no comparison in terms of strength and talent. The child is clearly in class by herself among her same age peers. Barring injury or lack of personal drive, she has amazing physical ability, good family support, drive, determination and an extra spark that the rest of kids don't have. That being said, she is a very sweet child and relates well to all members of the team. Yes, in the grand scheme of things, all our kids are special and work hard, but there are some gymnasts that stand out from the pack, and it is usually noticed at a pretty young age

As for parents listing the age and level of their child,I would think that is pretty basic information to be able to tell where the parent is coming from.

"It seems to me the only people who have a problem with younger/higher levels are those that have an older gymnast who maybe isn't the highest level."

Seriously? I can't believe you posted that!!! I will also call you wrong and state that my DD has been doing optionals for several years, is very happy. She's not a Level 10, but then that's never been her aspiration.

I don't see too many people here or out in the real world making a big deal about their younger gymnast, it's always the others wanting to call attention to it.

Really?

Here especially, people want to constantly remind us that our children will not likely make it past a certain age.

In all of my years here, I have NEVER, EVER heard anyone state that anyone's child will not make it past a certain level/age. What I have seen posted are the statistics that clearly point out the drop off rate between levels as the girls move up. They are statistics, just something to think about as some parents plan their DD's future in the sport.

Who cares if your child did level 5 at 6 years old or 16 years old?
EXACTLY. Are they progressing and having fun??? That's enough for me.

Gymnastics is a tough sport wether you are six or sixteen. To do what you love, and at times fear, in meets to be torn apart critisized, judged then compared to others has to be at very least a challenge. Thats what these kids do every meet. Then all the training and conditioning at practice. They have to take corrections from coaches on how to do skills a little better each time. Yet these kids can't get enough. So two years at 16 our five years at 7 I am impressed by each and everyone of them. Also, if they score a 33 and don't rock the house but a coach moves them up then I sume the coach must know what they are looking for and I trust them. Final point, gymnastics offers opportunities for all ages and skill levels you just have to find the right fit for your gymmies style, age, desires, personality ect ect:) Now off the podium I go lol.

Exactly! Very well said. Like I said in an earlier post, I don't care what age a gymnast is. When I'm at a meet and see someone who has that total package I don't care if they are 5 or 50. Well, I might be amazed if they are 50.

The underlying feeling I get is that some posters think that the members with younger gymnasts think their kids are something special are great or are better than the older ones at the same level. I don't see people saying that though. We are just all here to discuss this sport whatever age and level are child is.

When I'm sitting at DD's gym watching one of her teammates who is 10 and just so awesome, I'm not thinking about her age. I'm just thinking wow and how glad I am that they are in different age groups LOL.

"It seems to me the only people who have a problem with younger/higher levels are those that have an older gymnast who maybe isn't the highest level."

Seriously? I can't believe you posted that!!! I will also call you wrong and state that my DD has been doing optionals for several years, is very happy. She's not a Level 10, but then that's never been her aspiration.

I'm confused about what your DD's happiness has to do with that statement. I'm sure your DD is very happy and don't see the relationship. I'm talking about the parents being the ones who always want to bring up a kids age. I find kids to be very accepting. On this board if someone happens to have a young gymnast who is doing well, it tends to go toward they are being pushed too hard. Maybe they are just really good and aren't being pushed at all.

I don't see too many people here or out in the real world making a big deal about their younger gymnast, it's always the others wanting to call attention to it.

Really?

Yes really. At DD's gym I'm never sitting there saying, "Look at my kid, she's only 6." Yet people are always making comments about it. Some of them very nice, others obviously spiteful. A old thread comes to mind where a mom posted a video of her young DD doing level 5 and she was missing some skills. She was ripped apart about how her kid was clearly not ready for that level. If a mom posted a video of a 15 year old with the same skill set I doubt anyone would have told her that her DD clearly wasn't ready for that level.

Here especially, people want to constantly remind us that our children will not likely make it past a certain age.

In all of my years here, I have NEVER, EVER heard anyone state that anyone's child will not make it past a certain level/age. What I have seen posted are the statistics that clearly point out the drop off rate between levels as the girls move up. They are statistics, just something to think about as some parents plan their DD's future in the sport.

Which is exactly my point. When someone posts something about their young gymnast someone without fail has to chime in and take them down a notch. Sure your DD may be awesome now, but just wait. It just seems unnecessary. I don't see people telling the same to an older gymnast in compulories. If someone was asking for stats, fantastic. More often than not, they aren't. Yet people feel like it's their duty to bust their bubble.

Who cares if your child did level 5 at 6 years old or 16 years old?
EXACTLY. Are they progressing and having fun??? That's enough for me.

Finally we agree on something.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back