The intrigue of being "the Youngest"...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Holy cow. I guess I'm a newbie to the board so I had no idea the age of gymnasts was such a hot topic.

At my DDs gym, everyone on each level of the team is pretty much the same age within 3 years. There are a few outliers both older and younger, but I don't think anyone makes a big deal about it. Next year, my DD will be going to the same school as another girl two levels ahead of her and they are very excited about being together. Maybe this age thing is just about the parents' perceptions of things? I don't understand why; I mean, it's not our sport, it's our kids'.

There is one exception I an think of where an older girl (I think she was 11 or 12 at the time) decided she wanted to start doing gymnastics and was put on the same team as my dd. This girl was new to the sport and my dd, being the naturally outgoing type of kid she is, made the social faux pas of giving the older girl pointers. Oooh! That girl was so mean and nasty to my dd! I admit I was really glad when the coaches moved her to the prep op team.

The thing I wanted to say when I first read the beginning of this thread (before I got to all the heated debating) was that just because a kid may be a bit of a prodigy doesn't mean that their peers won't ever catch up to them. My non-gymnast dd is brilliant intellectually. She taught herself to read at age four. That's a pretty big deal in pre-school, Kindergarten, first grade, maybe even second grade. She's in 5th grade now and her precocious reading means diddly squat in comparison to her peers. In fact, I would argue that her natural ability to sail through her education without really working hard at it is going to come back to haunt her when she's older and things get so difficult that they're impossible without the good study habits she is supposed to be learning now.

I now feel like I need to change my signature. When I first joined, it seemed like that was what everyone had in their signature and so that is what I did too. I in no way thought anything of it, especially that I was somehow bragging.

Yes, my daughter was the youngest in her group and yes, she is also in the highly capable program at school. I am so proud of her for her hard work and grace, her passion for this sport and her love of math. I am also very proud of my son, who is a creative free spirit with the greatest smile and the biggest heart of anyone I have ever met. My children amaze me everyday in so many ways, as I am sure every one of your children does as well.

My kid isn't a phenom or throwing awesome skills. She has been identified to hold good potential in her body type and her discipline and something about amazing feet that I totally don't understand. She struggles out there every day, always one step behind all the other girls, and walks out of practice with a big smile and never complains. Will she one day catch up to her "potential"? Who knows. I trust that her coaches are doing the right thing and I certainly know she is excited to have a full year at a level with more girls her age and I am grateful for that.

I'm sorry, but I won't apologize for being proud of my kids and I come here looking for support and education from parents in my same shoes and those that have walked the path before me. I just wish we could stop being so judgmental of each other.

My DD is like yours, always 1 step behind most of the kids in her group, but she does better chasing others than being the one whose a little ahead.

And I second the judgemental comment.

Okay this thread has gone where no thread should.

Criticising the CB is not the best plan, working to build a community is way better. Do not blame opinions on the CB, they belong to individual members and we have quite a few different cliques on the CB. If you use our PM system to communicate with members to share then you are part of one. It is not a bad thing, it just shows how members may connect with some folk more then others.

That is why it is possible to create private groups, so like minded people can share.

Talking about that, considering how much time you all spend here, have you thought of supporting us through joining our booster club? You may not all like what you read here, but you certainly spend lots of time learning and absorbing and posting! I would love to see some more shiny booster club badges!!!

We certainly all will not see gym from the same place, 'cos we are not in it. As I have said a bajillion times on the CB; you do not every have to agree, the only reason threads like this go crazy is because people forget that there are many sides to a discussion and no one has to be right.

So lets consider this thread closed unless there is something constructive to be said.

Last edited:
It seems to me the only people who have a problem with younger/higher levels are those that have an older gymnast who maybe isn't the highest level..

I have an gymnast that is probabaly considered too old for her level and I also disagree with this statment. I could care less the age of a gymnast just wondered why others insist on posting it when child is young! I guess I got my answer with more than I bargined for....lol

I think this board is for discussion and we do not expect everyone to agree with us. If you do want others to agree with you all the time you are in the wrong spot. Tthis spot has been great for discussion from others who may not see or do things as we do ourselves. I think that is just great and somtimes I am educated by responses.

I think its human nature to defend our child or ourselves when really no-one is meaning to be offensive but rather offer the other side of a situation.

Just my huble opinion.

BTW I have a 15yrs old level 9 who loves gym and is just average. I am proud of her for surving in this long sport so long it is a tough sport!!

Well, constructively speaking, in my little corner of the world, I do not believe that young gymnasts doing high levels is as valued as portrayed on this board (being mainly US gymnastics). There are certainly children who display amazing talent in learning skills but quite often their artistry and confidence do not match the skill. For this reason, these gymnasts are encouraged to stay at a certain level while their artistry skills develop and also their bodies develop enough strength to cope with higher impact tumbling.

Occasionally I have seen a video stating "* year old doing double *****spring" and I think yes, that is beautiful, but then that child, if they have elite aspirations must continue to put their body through the stress of doing that skill until they are at least 16 and can become senior elite? The risk of injuries is so much greater doing high level skills for many years while coping with pubertal changes and growth spurts. What is the rush?

The attainment of perfection and beauty in a skill is a mindset established through many hours of intensive work, those outside of the gymnastics community sometimes do not see that and say "wow" when they see a "4 year old do a back tuck". Is that what is driving this trend?

Bwahahaha! :D

When your kid falls off every apparatus then perhaps that is a bad meet.
hahahhaahhahahaha! well! my daughter did that at Flip Fest this year, so can I say she had a bad meet? EVERY event, no lie! And still won bars??? :bars: With an 8.3 and a fall. Not a good day for level 9 bars that day, eh? Sat down both vaults, fell off beam on her series and hands slipped on fhs on her floor pass. Great day for me watching. :p

i love that MdGymmom started this thread, and going back to the very first post, I totally agree with her. I know a couple moms/dads who like everyone to know how young their daughter is vs what level she is training. It gets very old after a while. I agree that those who CONSTANTLY (not in general or now and then) have to mention that "precious Poopsie is the youngest girl on her level" are either trying to make you say "Wow!" or they have a need for attention and live vicariously through their child. I'm not talking about the casual conversation or post here, but the ones who ALWAYS mention it or bring it up, as if there has never in the history of the sport of gymnastics been another child that young on that level.

I believe (my humble opinion) that it is the desire to think that your child is the most special, talented, amazing, whatever, and they want you to notice. It is a lot of pressure on a child, I think, and it often shows when the tricks get tough and the child finally cracks and develops mental blocks, made-up injuries or illness to avoid practice, or begins to cry a lot when they never did before. I only speak from experience and from watching and listening for 8 years in the gym. I'm sure I am guilty of some of these things myself. Its always a relief when the crazy parent decides to move on to greener pastures and an owner that they hope they can control better. (oops! Off-topic, that's another story. :) Couldn't help myself.)

I don't want to be the only one not to post in this thread! LOL

My dd was the youngest on her then-team at 6 (she is now 7 and still working to get L2 skills up to her new team's standards, or in some cases, back up to any team's standards and this is no longer an issue LOL) and my son is the youngest on his current team at 6. Both found / find it very upsetting to be teased or snarked at by the kids 2-3 years older. Sigh. The coaches have handled both situations but it had to come to the point where my child clearly wasn't happy handling it him/herself. In my son's case I'm hopeful they will all bond nicely now that they are moved up to 3x3 and spending so much time together.

Slightly off topic, but it was mentioned and my comment is not worth starting a new thread about.

I think a "bad meet" is relative. Bog you think it can be called a bad meet if they fall on every event, but that might be a good meet for someone. Especially once a gymnast gets to L10 and it's early in the season. Falls are very comman. I also think it's perfectly within someone's right to feel like they or their child had a bad meet if they don't fall at all. It' all relative to the expectations they have for themselves.

I like the fact that there are 4 events because it's 4 chances to perform and have something to feel good about. My DD has very limited competition experience, but I recall at her last meet she did a bad vault for her and then she fell on beam, but she won bars. So while it wasn't her best meet overall, there were things to be happy about. I like to focus on the positve and heck I'm proud of her either way even if she has a bad meet, great meet or anything in between. I can think she had a bad meet and still be really proud of her.

Lets try this reply again...

I just have to chime in here that I somewhat agree with the theme here.

My DD is a (now) 7 year old L3 preteamer. She's entering 2nd grade in the fall. She has one little friend, a year behind her at her school, who competed L4 already this past fall as a kindergartener. My DD had a very small amount of jealousy toward her, but was mostly jealous of the fact that this little darling got to practice on the "green mat". DD didn't get to go on the green mat on the "team side" of the gym until this past January. Beyond that, we just went to the home meet and DD cheered her littler friend on, and all was well. It was fun to really *know* one of the little girls competing.

I have to say, this little girl got the most cheers, applause, and awe-struck comments in the crowd as she had *just* finally turned 6 the week before and could finally compete (last meet of the season, not including states). I think she actually placed about 5th or sixth out of 7 six-year-olds, but she certainly was the star of the show!

To some degree I think it has something to do with their innocence when they're younger. There's just something special about a brand-new little spitfire of a 6 year old throwing robhs that just captivates an audience. They're tiny, adorable, and young enough that some spunk and sass is still a little cute.

While certainly not necessary, being new to the CB I have to say I like the tags with ages/levels of the kids. It helps create some sense of intimacy and brings some weight to posts. To read a post by a parent with 3 gymmies and one being a 3rd year level 10, you get the sense that just maybe they know what they are talking about. ;)

I may be in the minority here, but I have to sat that those who put that their 4 year old is training level 5 in their siggie (or whatever!), I say: what an accomplishment for your child! I don't take it necessarily as bragging - I think it's just a proud parent. Now, personally I'd be terrified if my 4 year old was flipping around the house, but that's just me! And I've never had to wrestle with that personally!

I won't comment much of the "Youtubers" that post the "3 year old and 3 month" kids throwing multiple BHS or whatnot. Yes, I think those parents are a bit more "Hey, look at us!", but in the same sense, they're still just proud, and maybe even a little awestruck of their own kid. At least that's what I prefer to think over here. :)

I think USAG has done this to parents just a bit, as for the Olympics there's an obvious very narrow window of real opportunity for kids. So, while I think it's a fairly small demographic here, I think there may be some tendency to push the younger kids faster to get them elite. I this vain, I think some parents are more proud than others when their child is "capable" of meeting the goal, when age alone is considered. My DD, at the earliest, will compete L4 at age 8. While I guess it's not "impossible" for her to one day go elite (taking away any and all other limiting factors), I know it is unlikely.

Now lets also consider the selection criteria for some gyms to make team. At our gym, last year we had over 80 girls try out for 18 spots at our gym for L4. Of those 80 hopefuls, there were 17 "L3 preteamers" trying out. They took nearly all of the spots (16 of them, I believe). By us, a 10 year old trying out for L4 without the preteam experience (which is theoretically impossible, as they must be 7 or younger to have tried out for preteam) has a very slim chance of making team. This does not help the "younger is better" sort of mentality. I know my gym is not alone is this sort of philosophy (right or wrong). So, the rush seems to be the youngest doing a trick, trying out, etc.

Anyway - just my .02 (sneaking off to hide).

Anyway - just my .02 (sneaking off to hide).[/QUOTE]

Please don't hide! You had a lot of great things to say, especially for just starting off in the world of gymnastics:)

mamaof2--my daughter competed USAG Level 4 when she was nine, she broke her elbow in the middle of level 5 (age 10), had surgery that kept her out until the middle of level 6 comp season (age 11), then she scored out of 7 and competed level 8 (age 12), then competed 2 years of level 9 (age 13/14). She is only 14 now, and has 4 years to be on level 10. So, your dd is definitely not too old to think about elite or NCAA scholarships. If she decides this is what she wants to do, and works hard and gets her skills, she will have plenty of time to get to level 10 or beyond. Basically, my dd did a level per year starting at lvl 4 (she did train with a 90 degree bend in her arm for 6 months before her surgery, so her no-handed and one-handed skills got really good. She only struggled on bars, but now regularly wins bars at meets). I think your dd can go as far as she wants to. Carly Patterson didn't even start classes until she was 6, and Nastia was 18 when she won the AA in the Olympics.

This age thing gets to me sometimes because my dd has never been the youngest on the team, but she has been the oldest a few times. She had to deal with being over-looked a lot because of the "cute one(s)." At meets and exhibitions, the little ones got all the applause and oohs and aahs--that is hard to deal with! (even as mom its hard to deal with). At this moment, all those cute phenoms are no longer in gymnastics. Along about level 6/7 they lose a lot of girls, esp ones who suddenly start growing out of their cute, compact little bodies and their bodies start to rebel and not obey their brains. When things they could do easily suddenly get hard because their center of gravity has changed. The determined ones stick it out and work through it and make adjustments. If your dd wants it bad enough, starting to compete at age 8 will not matter.

I think most people love to watch young, fresh new talent in a sport....ooh and aah over the unrealised potential that is glinting at the surface! In most sports this is not a problem but in gymnastics which can get very intensive very quickly and attract people looking for notoriety (coaches and parents), this can be a problem. This is why I believe the CB does a great service in educating parents about gymnastics so that they can be informed when making decisions for their children.

When looking at posts made by members, I do not take into account the age of their child or level at all, I just read to see if what they say resonates with what I know about gymnastics and whether there is something new to be gleaned - knowledge can come from the most unexpected sources.

Slightly off topic, but it was mentioned and my comment is not worth starting a new thread about.

I think a "bad meet" is relative. Bog you think it can be called a bad meet if they fall on every event, but that might be a good meet for someone. Especially once a gymnast gets to L10 and it's early in the season. Falls are very comman. I also think it's perfectly within someone's right to feel like they or their child had a bad meet if they don't fall at all. It' all relative to the expectations they have for themselves.

I like the fact that there are 4 events because it's 4 chances to perform and have something to feel good about. My DD has very limited competition experience, but I recall at her last meet she did a bad vault for her and then she fell on beam, but she won bars. So while it wasn't her best meet overall, there were things to be happy about. I like to focus on the positve and heck I'm proud of her either way even if she has a bad meet, great meet or anything in between. I can think she had a bad meet and still be really proud of her.

Anyone who knows me knows exactly what I think of my kids and meets.

Note to all, if this thread can stay on track it can stay open, but any further hijackers will find their posts deleted.

I haven't replied to this thread yet because I honestly can't remember if my kids were ever "the youngest" to do anything? Somehow they've still managed to grow into well adjusted and successful teenagers, even though they were "only normal & average" kids:rolleyes:, LOL! Amazing right???

I know I used to go to play groups & the moms would all be discussing when their kids hit mile stones(ie. rolling over, walking, talking)...that seemed to be were I saw parental competition begin. No wait...it actually began with the "who had the longest labor & worst delivery":rolleyes:. The whole 'one upper' mentalilty is how I see these "the youngest..." videos. Apparently, these 'one upper' parents are under the delusion that if their child is "young" & can do a particular skill it somehow translates into their child being the "best" or "future best":confused: . And therefore they are automatically deemed(in their own minds)"the best parents" or the "winners of the parent race":rolleyes:. Thing is, in reality, there is no "parent race"! Parenting isn't a race & gymnastics certainly isn't a race!

The parents I know, of kids that appear to be actual gymnastic prodigies, aren't posting vids of their kids on the internet. They aren't interesting in "wowing" others with their amazing kids or cultivating a "fan club" on You Tube. Yes, they are proud of their kids!!! But they are focusing on how to keep the child healthy in ALL aspects(long term) & allowing the coaches to teach in proper SAFE(age & skill level) progression. All the while caring for the rest of their kids too, not solely focusing on the gymnast. I bank on seeing these kids I know personally, in higher level gymnatics before I think I'll see little 6yr old Suzie You Tube "star" making it to the Olympics. Little Suzie isn't recording & posting those videos herself right? So who is in control of the sport at this point? The parents. And if the parents are in that much control at 6yrs old, will Suzie EVER be allowed to be in control of HER sport? To make it in this sport(especially at the higher levels) who's sport does it have to be?

It's just my thought that the parents of "little 6yr old Suzie You Tube star" aren't doing the kid any favors by posting her vids of Suzie doing a BT at 6yrs old. And may be harming her in more ways than one. Way too many mind games sadly come into play:(. I think you can be proud of your kid & post private vids for family & friends who know her & support her. But when you open her up to "having a public fan club on you tube"...that's just sad to me:(. That's not about being "proud"... that's called exploitation:(. I don't watch these types of You Tube videos because that is how I see them.

These are just my thoughts on the topic. Take them or leave them.

I will try & go out with a laugh though, if I can post it here's a link to an SNL skit on 'one uppers'. I find the the lines starting @ 00:55 applicable to this thread. But the whole skit cracks me up:D!
Saturday Night Live - Penelope- Traffic School - Video - NBC.com

mamaof2--my daughter competed USAG Level 4 when she was nine, she broke her elbow in the middle of level 5 (age 10), had surgery that kept her out until the middle of level 6 comp season (age 11), then she scored out of 7 and competed level 8 (age 12), then competed 2 years of level 9 (age 13/14). She is only 14 now, and has 4 years to be on level 10. So, your dd is definitely not too old to think about elite or NCAA scholarships. If she decides this is what she wants to do, and works hard and gets her skills, she will have plenty of time to get to level 10 or beyond. Basically, my dd did a level per year starting at lvl 4 (she did train with a 90 degree bend in her arm for 6 months before her surgery, so her no-handed and one-handed skills got really good. She only struggled on bars, but now regularly wins bars at meets). I think your dd can go as far as she wants to. Carly Patterson didn't even start classes until she was 6, and Nastia was 18 when she won the AA in the Olympics.

This age thing gets to me sometimes because my dd has never been the youngest on the team, but she has been the oldest a few times. She had to deal with being over-looked a lot because of the "cute one(s)." At meets and exhibitions, the little ones got all the applause and oohs and aahs--that is hard to deal with! (even as mom its hard to deal with). At this moment, all those cute phenoms are no longer in gymnastics. Along about level 6/7 they lose a lot of girls, esp ones who suddenly start growing out of their cute, compact little bodies and their bodies start to rebel and not obey their brains. When things they could do easily suddenly get hard because their center of gravity has changed. The determined ones stick it out and work through it and make adjustments. If your dd wants it bad enough, starting to compete at age 8 will not matter.

Great post! I just wanted to say that even though Nastia won the Olympics at 18, she was elite at a very, very young age. My memory escapes me so don't quote me on this, but she was around 11.

I haven't replied to this thread yet because I honestly can't remember if my kids were ever "the youngest" to do anything? Somehow they've still managed to grow into well adjusted and successful teenagers, even though they were "only normal & average" kids:rolleyes:, LOL! Amazing right???

I know I used to go to play groups & the moms would all be discussing when their kids hit mile stones(ie. rolling over, walking, talking)...that seemed to be were I saw parental competition begin. No wait...it actually began with the "who had the longest labor & worst delivery":rolleyes:. The whole 'one upper' mentalilty is how I see these "the youngest..." videos. Apparently, these 'one upper' parents are under the delusion that if their child is "young" & can do a particular skill it somehow translates into their child being the "best" or "future best":confused: . And therefore they are automatically deemed(in their own minds)"the best parents" or the "winners of the parent race":rolleyes:. Thing is, in reality, there is no "parent race"! Parenting isn't a race & gymnastics certainly isn't a race!

The parents I know, of kids that appear to be actual gymnastic prodigies, aren't posting vids of their kids on the internet. They aren't interesting in "wowing" others with their amazing kids or cultivating a "fan club" on You Tube. Yes, they are proud of their kids!!! But they are focusing on how to keep the child healthy in ALL aspects(long term) & allowing the coaches to teach in proper SAFE(age & skill level) progression. All the while caring for the rest of their kids too, not solely focusing on the gymnast. I bank on seeing these kids I know personally, in higher level gymnatics before I think I'll see little 6yr old Suzie You Tube "star" making it to the Olympics. Little Suzie isn't recording & posting those videos herself right? So who is in control of the sport at this point? The parents. And if the parents are in that much control at 6yrs old, will Suzie EVER be allowed to be in control of HER sport? To make it in this sport(especially at the higher levels) who's sport does it have to be?

It's just my thought that the parents of "little 6yr old Suzie You Tube star" aren't doing the kid any favors by posting her vids of Suzie doing a BT at 6yrs old. And may be harming her in more ways than one. Way too many mind games sadly come into play:(. I think you can be proud of your kid & post private vids for family & friends who know her & support her. But when you open her up to "having a public fan club on you tube"...that's just sad to me:(. That's not about being "proud"... that's called exploitation:(. I don't watch these types of You Tube videos because that is how I see them.

These are just my thoughts on the topic. Take them or leave them.

I will try & go out with a laugh though, if I can post it here's a link to an SNL skit on 'one uppers'. I find the the lines starting @ 00:55 applicable to this thread. But the whole skit cracks me up:D!
Saturday Night Live - Penelope- Traffic School - Video - NBC.com

Agree, but I've just got to say that I do enjoy watching some young talented gymnasts on youtube and I'm thankful that they are posted for my viewing pleasure. Not the ones throwing crappy looking skills, but some really awesome super clean, beautiful gymnastics.

Have to agree with the group that being the youngest hasn't been an advantage for my youngest dd. In most levels she's been in, it's the hardest age group to medal in, as a lot of those young phenoms are in those young age groups. She's always been at a higher level gymnastics wise than most of the same girls her age in the gyms we've been at, so has had to train with older girls. In December I requested that she be moved off of the 9/10 team and be moved to the 7/8 team. We are in a small gym and there was only my dd and one other along with mostly 14,15,16, and 17 yr. olds. My dd was 11 and the other one was 10. The average age in the 7/8 group is 11. MUCH better fit. Settings easier too!

exgymnastmomx3--I can completely relate to what you wrote and wanted to say that you are lucky that her coach sees the value in her training with girls her age even if they are a different level--not every coach is willing to make that adjustment for their younger gymnasts.

After reading some threads and parenting articles that have been floating around the web, a friend of mine and I were talking about the fact that nowadays it seems like "being the youngest" in any given sport, activity, or situation is all the rage. It's not so much that a child is good at a particular sport or is a great student or good at reading or math, but now the emphasis is on how young they are. Has anyone else noticed this growing phenomenon?

Md-I think we live in a much more competitive society than when I was growing up and that there are a lot more opportunities for children to start sports at a younger age now. To be youngest in your level will almost always make you stand out (especially if a height difference is very noticeable;)). But just because a girl is young for her level doesn't mean she should be held to higher standard than anyone else at that level. Meaning, even if she is young she may be just average or below average just like an older girl may be, and that is okay. It doesn't mean she doesn't belong there or hasn't earned her spot. JMHO.

You advocate for kids going at their own pace and sometimes that pace is faster than the average kid and it's not always because the child has been pushed. It's just as important to keep a kid challenged as it is to not burden them with too much.

I agree!

And that is what it is all about!!! Hard work and determination! I have watched the 6 year old petrified of jumping to the high bar and I have watched the 15 year old struggle with backward tumbling! It is the most amazing thing to watch as they overcome them! That is what is truly special about this sport!! No matter what the age!!

I agree!!!

Also, if they score a 33 and don't rock the house but a coach moves them up then I sume the coach must know what they are looking for and I trust them. Final point, gymnastics offers opportunities for all ages and skill levels you just have to find the right fit for your gymmies style, age, desires, personality ect ect:) Now off the podium I go lol.

Right! And some kids (young and old) are not cut out for compulsories and score low but are able to rock optionals!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back