WAG "Training" a level vs. being in a level...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

notthatmom

Proud Parent
So since DD is a brand new level 3 as of the beginning of summer, I guess I don't really understand why some people say "my DD is training level X", or "she's a level X".

What's the difference? If you're "training" with the level 4s, does that mean come meet season you will compete with them? Or do you train with a higher level and then compete at the level where you will have all the skills?

Since my DD isn't competing yet (since it isn't meet season) should I be saying she is training L3, or do I say "she's a L3"?

Does it even matter? Help a mother out :)

All of our optionals are training their potential levels for next year until about the end of August. It is then determined if they have made enough progress in the next level's skills to compete. Once level placement is determined, then several months are devoted to learning and perfecting routines before meet season begins in Dec. So usually it means you are training new skills for the level you are aspiring to for the next season. For example, DD is Training level 7/8, but they will decide in August which one is the most appropriate, and at that time, she will become an offical 7 or 8. Hope that helps

I would think your DD has some idea whether they are learning the L3 routines or not. My sense is she is a Level 3 but don't hold me to it. As for saying "she is training Level 3 or is a Level 3" it's all one in the same to me.

When each meet season ends, the girls are all then considered "training X level." So, for example my daughter just finished competing Level 7 in April so as soon as regionals was over she quit calling herself a Level 7 and started calling herself a Training Level 8.

Like gymmom said above, she cant officially call herself a Level 8 until it gets closer to the beginning of the next competition season and the coaches evaluate progress and confirm if she is moving up or not. (Basically, this is the point at which coaches start registering them for next season's meets and having to declare their levels.)

So there are always those few months in between seasons where they aren't yet able to call themselves the next level up, but they have finished the level behind so "training X" is what they go by for a while.

For us personally, I say training level X, until you start competing at that level. Sometimes I will say what season we just completed to clarify. For our group, sometimes there's some gray between after 5 of whether you are going to 6 or 7, and sometimes you might need the extra year to polish up your skills. I think it's less pressure on the child actually not to commit her verbally to something and be incorrect. But it could be all in my mind.

Ditto the others.
I don't say DD is Level X until she has been told she is that level, even if we already paid the specific dollar amount for that level.

You can't always assume they'll move up to the next level.

oh, and in your case (OP) i would just say level 3. its not like there's a question of her repeating a level below that so saying 3 makes perfect sense.

To me "training a level" versus being a level means being in training group for a level that is a "reach" - like that if there was a meet tomorrow, no way could the kid compete that level. We have pockets of these kids in our gym (my daughter will probably be one next season) that train w/ a higher level but when the time comes for meets they compete a level where they will be more successful. They are usually kids that are weak on one event or skill, but fit in more overall w/ the higher level for training purposes.

I tend to say that my DD is the level that she competed last year until she is told what level she will be competing....not might be competing....but will be competing. So from April to July, I said she is a level 8 gymnast. But yesterday, she was told that she will be competing L9 in the upcoming season so now I would say she is a level 9 gymnast. If something happens and that doesn't end up happening, I will just go back to saying she is an L8. People in the gym world understand how it works and people what aren't in the gym world don't get it anyways. :)

ETA....I don't think I ever say that my DD is "training such and such level".

Last edited:
This question was asked a couple of years ago and I remember someone posting something to the effect of when a parent says their kid is "training level X" it means that they believe their kid should be level x but the coach doesn't see how awesome the kid is and is holding them back to the lower level. I've never quite forgotten that. LOL

I agree completely with the first few answers. Once a gymnast competes and finishes a season at a level, they then become "training next level". Lots of times they do end up competing that new level come the next season, but sometimes not (especially in L7+!!). My DD competed L7 this past season. She is now "training L8" but she could easily end up doing L7 for a second year. It all depends on where the gymnast is at skill/polish wise by the fall/whatever cutoff time your gym has. :) It's definitely not ME feeling like she should be one level or the other, she truly IS training L8 (flipping vaults, upgraded bar skills, fills on floor etc) but I won't know if those skills will be ready to compete in a few months (probably not. And that will be OK!). Once it gets closer to season we will know and routines will start taking shape with whatever skills they have ready and whatever level that fits best into. :)

In your case, like someone said.... I would just call her a L3. ;)

This all makes total sense, and yes she is learning the routines because she shows them to me at home (sorta, on my yoga mat lol). And it does seem different for L3 because I feel like "training" level 3 is what they did on Preteam (learned the skills but no routines yet until she was officially on the team in L3, Preteam isn't considered being on the team at our gym, it's sorta in between rec and team). Her Preteam coach even told me once that Preteam is "like" training l3 so I guess that explains that.
I have a friend who's daughter is on team at the same gym and she told me once that her DD was l4 but training l3, this was last year before meet season started, I straight up asked her "so what does that mean exactly?" She said "I honestly have no idea" lol. Her DD ended up competing l4 that season.
I haven't ever heard a parent say their kids was training l3, but I have heard most other parents say their kid was training level X for most levels above 3.

II will echo what others have said.
Last summer my DD was training L6, but we wouldn't know until it was time to actually register for a meet whether she would be competing XG or L6.
Now that she had a good L6 year, she's "training L7", but until she gets that giant, or until she's "told" she will compete L7, she's "training L7".
We don't do a whole lot of uptraining, so our girls didn't compete L6 already having a giant, or necessarily flight on beam. The girls who "have those" already could probably say they are L7. But until levels are totally decided, my DD, for one, is "training". (and keeping me on my "will she? won't she?" toes)

TECHNICALLY- the athlete IS the level they LAST competed at.
so training Level X is to give the child a guide as to what they are working for, or ideally where they should be. Its a bit different for optionals....
Parents like this to for their egos......Its nice to say 'my DD finished L4 and is training L7', or also to know how much the monthly bill will go up. We have a couple of kids who love to go around saying they are training L8, ( but they dont have giants...) ...We have a few L7s that are training L9 but the kid and the parents are clueless and are fine with whatever...................There are so many variables.........

I have a L6, working on L7 skills..... and I pray all goes as the coach is planning....above all i pray for HEALTH.

To add, it also has to do with gym culture. At DDs gym, all optionals (& parents) say they are 'training' whatever the next level is.

Really, the only people that ask DDs level (and know what it means) are other gymnasts/parents. Whether you say, DD just finished L7 or is training L8, they know the implications. The CGM (or just completely clueless parent) would be the one who says their L4 DD is training L8 because they're doing Yurchenko drills. ;)

This question was asked a couple of years ago and I remember someone posting something to the effect of when a parent says their kid is "training level X" it means that they believe their kid should be level x but the coach doesn't see how awesome the kid is and is holding them back to the lower level. I've never quite forgotten that. LOL

That's as crazy as those parents who's kid has *one skill* for the higher level and start to call their kid that level - like a kid who is mostly a level 3 but gets their back tuck and the parent tells people they "could be" a level 5 even though they don't even have their kip ;).

Gymnastics it is a seasonal sport (albeit one with year round training). Our compulsories compete August-November; optionals December or January through April or May). As soon as states are over in November, all of our level 3s will start "training level 4." They will all be training level 4 until June, at which point we will determine who is ready for level 4 and who needs to repeat level 3. In the summer they will work on polishing and learning routines for their level, they will "be level 3s" or "be level 4s" for the fall season, and then it's back to this training in this "see what happens" zone. It's all the more uncertain when you get to that level 5/6/7 question, and then when you get to optionals and "Well, you could be an okay level 10 or an excellent level 9." That's gymnastics for you.

Call me the mean coach but when the season is over and the kiddos start saying, "Yay, I'm a level 5 now!" I remind them that they are working on level 5 skills now, and they will be level 5s when they get those skills safely and confidently and we decide they are ready to compete level 5.

It's all semantics. And of course, many gyms have gymnasts uptraining throughout the year, us included. Like, I have level 2s doing cast handstand and pirouette drills and almost all of the level 4s and many of the level 3s have standing back tucks. That's just part of their training. That doesn't mean they are "training level 7." They are either competing the level they are right now, or it's the off-season, and they are training the level 1 number up. ;)

II will echo what others have said.
Last summer my DD was training L6, but we wouldn't know until it was time to actually register for a meet whether she would be competing XG or L6.
Now that she had a good L6 year, she's "training L7", but until she gets that giant, or until she's "told" she will compete L7, she's "training L7".
We don't do a whole lot of uptraining, so our girls didn't compete L6 already having a giant, or necessarily flight on beam. The girls who "have those" already could probably say they are L7. But until levels are totally decided, my DD, for one, is "training". (and keeping me on my "will she? won't she?" toes)

I am so with you on this one!

I don't think it always means that. I know of some girls who just completed level 7 and soon after did a level 8 score out meet. They consider themselves level 8 but training level 9, as does their coach, but are yet to determine if they will have the skills to compete 9. If not, they will compete level 8.

As well, the boys world has become complicated so I truly cannot tell you what level my son is. He is training to be an optional, which due to the new rules would be level 9 or level 10, but might not make it in which case he would be a level 7. More confusion then clarity right there and it has nothing to do with what level I want him to be.

I don't think it always means that. I know of some girls who just completed level 7 and soon after did a level 8 score out meet. They consider themselves level 8 but training level 9, as does their coach, but are yet to determine if they will have the skills to compete 9. If not, they will compete level 8.

As well, the boys world has become complicated so I truly cannot tell you what level my son is. He is training to be an optional, which due to the new rules would be level 9 or level 10, but might not make it in which case he would be a level 7. More confusion then clarity right there and it has nothing to do with what level I want him to be.
In the scenario you described, I'd say those girls are training Level 9. They've scored out of 8 and seems the reasonable expectation is that they are preparing to compete Level 9.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back