Parents What's your child's goal and when did they make some?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

N

NGL780309

I hear a lot of parents say their child'd goal is to be an elite or make the Olympics or compete in college and I thought it would be interesting to hear what your child's goal is. I'm also curious at what age or level they formed a goal.

My DD is 5yo/Level 4 and she doesn't have a goal that I'm aware of. I figure that's pretty normal. She doesn't know what elite is, or the Olympics or much about college gym. She's very in the moment.

Actually I just remembered that she actually did say one time that she wanted to be on so and so's team (insert name of head optional coach). She was 4 and here I'm thinking "wow my DD is so ambitious". So I ask her why and she says, "because they get to wear long sleeve leotards and put tape on their hands and feet." LOL I then bought her some long sleeve leotards and she hates them. Her toenail got ripped off and she got to tape it at gym so I guess her goals are pretty much a fulfilled!

Cute :)

My dd's dream is to be able to compete in college. She decided that about two Years ago.

When Shawn Johnson became really popular, Morgan decided that if she was going to make it to the Elite level then she really needed to go to Chow's. (she was around 8 at the time) she sent Chow's an email telling them all about herself and why she wanted to go there. 3 years later she's still waiting for a reply. LOL Btw, she would die if she ever knew that I told this story : )

May not seem like much...

but my dd's goal is to get her ROBHS consistently and CONFIDENTLY. If she can accomplish this--which is one of her biggest fears since doing cheerleading and gymnastics, she knows that she can accomplish ANYTHING!!! :D

When my oldest dd was 7, she wanted to go to a big gym and do the big skills, just like the girls she saw at the Gymnix international meet every year in Montreal. That same year she got to learn that the family was not prepared to move from the countryside to the city in order for the big club dream to happen. The second part of her dream went with the first part.
Now her goal is to have no pain in her wrists, and to find more work this summer to fund her love of clothes and music. Get good grades at school and not go to the gym more than two hours a week!!
Youngest has no long term gym goals, short term she wants her Kip every time, to learn to do her flyaway laid out and for her ro bbs bt to be hers for keeps! She wants to be a dentist.

My dd's dream is to be able to compete in college. She decided that about two Years ago.

When Shawn Johnson became really popular, Morgan decided that if she was going to make it to the Elite level then she really needed to go to Chow's. (she was around 8 at the time) she sent Chow's an email telling them all about herself and why she wanted to go there. 3 years later she's still waiting for a reply. LOL Btw, she would die if she ever knew that I told this story : )

That's a funny story.

Did something influence her to want to do college gym? Like living near a college gym team or going to meets?

but my dd's goal is to get her ROBHS consistently and CONFIDENTLY. If she can accomplish this--which is one of her biggest fears since doing cheerleading and gymnastics, she knows that she can accomplish ANYTHING!!! :D

That's the great thing about gymnastics, it gives them so much belief in themselves outside of the gym. Good luck to her, I hope she meets her goal soon!

When my oldest dd was 7, she wanted to go to a big gym and do the big skills, just like the girls she saw at the Gymnix international meet every year in Montreal. That same year she got to learn that the family was not prepared to move from the countryside to the city in order for the big club dream to happen. The second part of her dream went with the first part.
Now her goal is to have no pain in her wrists, and to find more work this summer to fund her love of clothes and music. Get good grades at school and not go to the gym more than two hours a week!!
Youngest has no long term gym goals, short term she wants her Kip every time, to learn to do her flyaway laid out and for her ro bbs bt to be hers for keeps! She wants to be a dentist.

Good luck to youngest DD on those tough skills.

I am not really sure. We had a couple of the girls from the gym go on to compete in college and she thought that was cool. She's only 11 so next year she may want to do something completely different. :)

There is a frowny face at the top of my first post, did I do or say something wrong?

That's a great goal. I hope she accomplishes it soon : )

DD is 10 and she only just recently began to understand the sport enough to have long-term goals! So, she said she wants to go gymnastics in college, but I think her real long-term goal is make it to level 10 and be like our top level 10.

Short-term goal would be to get her kip and be more consistent with her squat on low bar!!

Great thread!!

Daughter now talks about competeing collage she is 10 because her favorite coaches was a sucessful collage gymnast. Sometimes she says she just wants to make it to leve
My goals I would like her to remain injury free and like her to make it to optionals and get her own music and routines.

My oldest daughter's goal is to make the high school gymnastics team (she will be a freshman and the high school is the reigning state champion team, so it will be a challenge!).

Youngest daughter's goal is to have her own music for her floor routine!:)

DD goal is to be Level 10 and do colleege gymnastics BUT only for 1 college and 1 particular coach.

The goal of college is achievable for her it is a Divison 3 school. The question will be where will the $$ to pay for it come from. LOL

Level 10 well..... she is a hard worker and a few former coaches never thought she would make it this far (Level 8 currently) so she could do it.

i always tell her to beleive in your dream and work hard and who knows what can happen.

My goal for her remain major injury free......and not to loose any skills...LOL....that is the joys of Optional gymnastics

Ditto

Em is the same way. She says she is going to Olympics and LSU as well. I tell her one step at a time which is the FEAR of the ROBHS and doing it confidently.

Older DD's goal (she is 9) right now is to get a 9.0 on all 4 events in L5.:)
Little DD's goal (she is 6) is to have a cool pose for the end of her L4 floor routine.:p
Tiny DD's goal (she is 4) is to do her backward roll without help!:D

So many great replies, lots of motivated gymnasts out there! I think my dd's goal is to get to level 7, she is absolutely dying to get her own music and routines! After that, who knows, she sometimes mentions competitive cheer and diving. :)

My dd's goal is to get a college scholarship to do gymnastics. This has always been her dream/goal. She never expressed interest in the Olympics, even though we had a National Team Member in our gym. She has always focused on college. Now that she will be a Freshman in HS this coming Fall, her goal is still the same. She will be competing L9 and think she is pretty on target to reach her goal.

I think the college goal came from every graduating Senior from our gym has gone on to do gymnastics in college (many scholarship, some walk on), so dd just assumes when her time comes that she will follow in the same foot steps.

Now the scholarship, well, I don't know if that would happen. I'd prefer an academic scholarship over an athletic, but we'll take anything. As long as she does not have a career ending injury, she will be good enough to walk on to most college teams - we will see what time brings!

If this is truely what your daughter wants is to go to Chow's this is what you have to do to get them to contact you.

All candidates must first send a video of current performance along with gymnast's competition results directly to the gym at:

2010 Chow's Gymnastics & Dance Institute
2210 Park Drive West Des Moines, IA 50265
Upon selection, you will be notified to make arrangements for a personal try-out or evaluation.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back